Notices

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Hi, I've seen someone ask for a pink noise generator before and no one seemed to have an answer. I'm looking for an atmosphere generator that plays sampled audio like birds, wind in trees, rain on roofs, crickets, etc. and allows you to select what to hear and the volume of them. But, it's also good to turn your mood around with a nice crackling fire sound and crickets like you are camping. Or whatever sound combinations makes you happy.

If something already exists like this for Linux, could someone compile it for the NIT? I believe it would be the business travelers ultimate app paired with a giant time/alarm clock.

Here's one that I use on my Windows XP laptop when I travel to drown out "loud people next door" stuff.

http://relaxingsoftware.com/atmospherescreenshots.html

Or a screenshot that shows the levers and check-boxes, etc.

I guess you could record what atmosfere plays on your laptop, transform it to mp3's and play them using media player...

Not that I know of which is a real shame!

It shouldn't be too difficult to create an application that does a similar thing, the difficulty lies in obtaining good quality sound samples.

icebox's idea sounds best...just record what you want to hear as an mp3.

Otherwise the closest thing I could find is this: http://www.soundsleeping.com/ (combine the flutes with thunder, rain and some windchimes in the backdrop.) Unfortunately CPU utilization is quite high, and there's not much variation available; so the mp3 option above sounds best. Saying that you could opt for the "Solitudes" cds as mp3s, some of which iirc feature binaural beats.

Well, I just crank the Hag, Cash, et al. at top volume; all the atmosphere I need.

Don't know of anything. Agreed that ripping junk is the easiest route. Get a few hours, and it should work pretty well.

By far the most capable system is Boodler (www.boodler.org); unfortunately it's not exactly user-friendly -- interpreted Python interface. That said, Andrew of Boodler High Command is in the midst of rewriting it, and there have been add-on GUIs in the past. Writing a plugin for Rhythmbox / MythTV / MPD / anything else (including Nnn tablets) would win you major points from me and others.

The Following User Says Thank You to n8willis For This Useful Post: