Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think those that want to fully depend on community support would appreciate a gesture by Nokia if they open source all the hardware drivers for N900
Kernel drivers are already open, but the good thing is - they don't need to open battery management, etc, just allow people to distribute them to Nokia devices and set up a legal framework for this. They are very flexible.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Drivers are not Nokias to gift.
MeeGo will put more pressure on OMAP vendors to "Donate"

Coincidence of recent TI 3D drivers ?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@mikec: I thought it (partly) depends on Nokia's licensing terms with them?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Thank you! I've been trying to say that for days but you've summed it up in a far more concise way so now we can post a link pointing here instead of writing 1000s of words to explain the basic idea. This thread goes straight into bookmarks.

Originally Posted by Espen View Post
Could it be that your brain has become too short, if you cant read as short a text as this well argued message?
I'd argue that he cannot read properly (and that he purposefully edit quotes to say something that was not mentioned in the original post), just had a taste of that @ HERE Why Stskeeps thanked him for that is beyond my comperhension, tho...

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@mikec: I thought it (partly) depends on Nokia's licensing terms with them?
I think that Nokia's license from TI (and others vendors) refers only to their devices, so they cannot really open-source drivers not owned by them. Something like Adobe being unable to open-source the H.264 and On2 VP6 decoders... We should put pressure on all hardware manufacturers to open-source their drivers as the current situation is not much improved than it was in the old days of win modems...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
I'd argue that he cannot read properly (and that he purposefully edit quotes to say something that was not mentioned in the original post), just had a taste of that @ HERE Why Stskeeps thanked him for that is beyond my comperhension, tho...
For this part:

Nokia did not claimed that N900 is on MeeGo train. Nokia said, to start with MeeGo developer should work it on QT4.6 which is a cross platform SDK that will work on MeeGo devices. But N900 is the only device that supporting QT4.6 right now. So start Developing applications on it for the future MeeGO.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Maybe the `MeeGo train` was a bad choice of words, but I'd consider what Quim Gil said to be an answer for many people approaching Nokia's floor at MWC to be pretty official.

Not to be an a**hole.. but all i see is a serie of questions without answers, exactly what we had so far...

of course it all depends on Nokia and their support for drivers and the Nokia applications... but it's what is more important to calm people down... we allready know MeeGo will be (completely) opensource and thus not stopping us (the gurus in these forums) from installing it on the N900 (like with android) in case we have the drivers...

did I miss something illuminating?

Of course, seeing how small the effort would be for nokia to support the N900 (apart from new hardware features), I believe it will happen; but in the end, we just have to wait and have some official statements/answers, and just stay quiet and calm until that happens.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm already not worried about it. But I expected to have Mer running on my N810 or N800 by now, and it's funny to get reassurance from the one in charge of that.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
why are people complaining! by the time a set of MeeGo handsets hits the market i'll only have 6months left on my contract anyways! enough time for MeeGo to come to fruit. And I can say with confidence that between now and that time i'd rather be using my n900 than any other device out there so whats the big problem?

the n900 is bleedin edge, bleedin edge doesnt last forever! this handset was always set to be defunct within a year, thats the nature of technology! Use it, be happy! then move on!

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I'm already not worried about it. But I expected to have Mer running on my N810 or N800 by now, and it's funny to get reassurance from the one in charge of that.
While this did make me feel at fault for this not happening, there were reasons for it.

On a personal sidenote, I managed to finish the software side of a research project, finish a master's degree in computer science, get married and move to Poland in the same time. And doing Mer for free. On the organisational sidenote, we were too ambitious and that harmed things (see mer-project.blogspot.com, the redshirt post).

We learnt a lot from the Mer project that makes things easier now both on N8x0 and in MeeGo. If you're wondering how smoother it could have been if we had been less ambitious (with the knowledge we have now), I just had Image Viewer from Fremantle X86 (no recompile for special Debian things) running on top of Debian 5.0+Fremantle base system in a VirtualBox. Coming sooner or later to a N8x0 near you. See http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=101 for Mer^2 stuff.

A small teaser in that regard:

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/mer2-imageviewer.png

But let us not turn this thread into a discussion about that - I'll gladly take it in another thread.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-02-20 at 14:18.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
be happy, be worry, don't worry, reading is a skill, stskeeps rats, too long?, you're the problem