Originally Posted by herdem09 View Post
Unfortunately my X came with Nougat already. I think it is a refurbished product.
Does anyone have 34.0.A.1.264 ftf file for F5121? I'm having difficulty finding it.
From here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/cro...1-264-t3368645

https://depositfiles.com/files/agycclx2k

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
AFAIK both these sources are no longer valid unfortunately, although using Xperifirm 1304-5672 Service Exchange Unit 34.0.A.1.264 is available to downgrade to 6.0.1

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
You can use any 6.0.1 firmware, no matter CDA.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Jolla claims Sailfish for the Xperia X is on its way.

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.com/2017...-x-single.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
Jolla claims Sailfish for the Xperia X is on its way.

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.com/2017...-x-single.html
That's what we're discussing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
I bet there are still people thinking that 20 megapixels (20? 23? 25? the Exmor RS IMX300 in the Xperia X is 25 Mp) are better than 8 megapixels. This is not always true: you may personally check the difference between the best 8 Mp cellphone camera and any old 8 Mp reflex (the latter would always win, even if with a cheap lens). The real "magic" in cameras is basically all about physical characteristics, and no hack can actually outperform physics laws and usual human issues (a blurry photo is mostly an human error, not a camera/lens/sensor limit, while most of the times you'll want to shoot pics in less than ideal conditions).

The "more megapixel" trend in cameras has always been a catch-22 thing. More megapixels meant you could stretch down the image to an apparently better quality, thus every manufacturer didn't care too much about sensor/lens quality as long as it could go on in the megapixel race. A good full-HD image (that is, two puny megapixels) would appear perfect on every cellphone, even the most recent ones sporting uselessly high PPI values (ah, those ridicolous "retina"-like buzzwords for gullible fanbois). And a 4k full-HD image is actually 8Mp. The megapixels race will eventually come to an end, like the sound resolution decades ago - today, most people can't discern 44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo from any higher values (especially if using earpieces).

That is, I would be OK with 8Mp on Xperia+SFOS.

The stock Sony camera app just applies some "magic trick" - aka software library - to do some filtering and noise reduction. Maybe because of patents, that library would only work if fed with some DRM-like key. else it would just resize down to 8Mp, actually castrating the camera. This is why we should talk about that noise reduction and low light thing instead of Le Twenty Mega Pixels meme.

There's yet another reason to be happy SFOS guys wisely chose the Xperia X: it uses a normal USB plug instead of USB-C and a normal analog 3.5mm ear plug. I'm getting sick at upgrading my hardware (or buying new adapters) because of certain fanbois gullibility. We are not anymore in the 1990's, when you paid to double your performances every 18 months. Moore's law just degraded to Murphy's law, and even if you have a very good sight most of the time you'll be checking your phone in a badly lit environment, sending a quick pic that will just get a few pathetic Like's before getting forgotten by anyone, calling someone hoping that the claimed 11% battery left will actually last until the called dude clearly heard the urgent things you had to say.

tl, dr: better specs and features make me happy, but I'm always the last rat to follow the piper.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
I bet there are still people thinking that 20 megapixels (20? 23? 25? the Exmor RS IMX300 in the Xperia X is 25 Mp) are better than 8 megapixels. This is not always true: you may personally check the difference between the best 8 Mp cellphone camera and any old 8 Mp reflex (the latter would always win, even if with a cheap lens). The real "magic" in cameras is basically all about physical characteristics, and no hack can actually outperform physics laws and usual human issues (a blurry photo is mostly an human error, not a camera/lens/sensor limit, while most of the times you'll want to shoot pics in less than ideal conditions).

The "more megapixel" trend in cameras has always been a catch-22 thing. More megapixels meant you could stretch down the image to an apparently better quality, thus every manufacturer didn't care too much about sensor/lens quality as long as it could go on in the megapixel race. A good full-HD image (that is, two puny megapixels) would appear perfect on every cellphone, even the most recent ones sporting uselessly high PPI values (ah, those ridicolous "retina"-like buzzwords for gullible fanbois). And a 4k full-HD image is actually 8Mp. The megapixels race will eventually come to an end, like the sound resolution decades ago - today, most people can't discern 44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo from any higher values (especially if using earpieces).

That is, I would be OK with 8Mp on Xperia+SFOS.

The stock Sony camera app just applies some "magic trick" - aka software library - to do some filtering and noise reduction. Maybe because of patents, that library would only work if fed with some DRM-like key. else it would just resize down to 8Mp, actually castrating the camera. This is why we should talk about that noise reduction and low light thing instead of Le Twenty Mega Pixels meme.

There's yet another reason to be happy SFOS guys wisely chose the Xperia X: it uses a normal USB plug instead of USB-C and a normal analog 3.5mm ear plug. I'm getting sick at upgrading my hardware (or buying new adapters) because of certain fanbois gullibility. We are not anymore in the 1990's, when you paid to double your performances every 18 months. Moore's law just degraded to Murphy's law, and even if you have a very good sight most of the time you'll be checking your phone in a badly lit environment, sending a quick pic that will just get a few pathetic Like's before getting forgotten by anyone, calling someone hoping that the claimed 11% battery left will actually last until the called dude clearly heard the urgent things you had to say.

tl, dr: better specs and features make me happy, but I'm always the last rat to follow the piper.
The other thing that I have noticed with the front camera on Android phones is the image is reversed.

I have seen several videos where the person is in their car and it looks like they are driving on the right side of the car. And if they are wearing a shirt with a name on it, the name is reversed like it is in a mirror.

I am not sure if the problem is with the front camera or the O/S.

The Following User Says Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
totally disagree about the 'joy' of still being able to use micro-usb (2.0) in the years 2018/19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
"The stock Sony camera app just applies some "magic trick" - aka software library - to do some filtering and noise reduction. Maybe because of patents, that library would only work if fed with some DRM-like key. else it would just resize down to 8Mp, actually castrating the camera. This is why we should talk about that noise reduction and low light thing instead of Le Twenty Mega Pixels meme."

That's what the meaning behind "Sony 20MP camera" and other goodies like its display from Sony's proprietary features (Song "magic trick") locked by DRM key. It's not purely 20MP vs 8MP by the figures.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bnwg For This Useful Post:
time to break out the hadk

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x