Wouldn't it be a dream come true if Sony released Sailfish-only 2-sim version of X Compact? Pity...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
I doubt Sony will release it it all like they did with the limited release of Xperia E with FirefoxOS, instead I suspect Jolla will flash Xperia phones and sell them. I'd love to be proven wrong and Sony sells a Sailfish phone though.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Actually, it would already be great if Sony does not sell their products with SailfishOS but allows Jolla or others to sell their phones with it.

What I'm afraid of is that you would have to buy a phone with Android and then install SailfishOS yourself. Then it will remain a niche product for geeks as no normal customer would do this.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Wouldn't it be a dream come true if Sony released Sailfish-only 2-sim version of X Compact? Pity...
That is a mikecomputing-style argument. I would like it therefore it would be great. But why would Sony want to do that? They are a hardware manufacturer. They want to sell units. Why would they want to damage their sales by pre-installing them exclusively with an OS that no one wants?

Pre-installing them with a popular OS but leaving them open for the users to replace it with Sailfish or Moonshark or whatever is a different thing. It does not cost them anything.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
... pre-installing them exclusively with an OS that no one wants?
I don't think that's true..
OS that many haven't yet seen.. OS that many may fall in love with.. OS that has the potential, yet has to improve a lot.. May be

Definitely not OS THAT NO ONE WANTS!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Definitely not OS THAT NO ONE WANTS!!!
Pichlo gently put the finger to the wound.
From marketing POV, ~50000 enthusiast explicitly "buying" a phone because of SFOS worldwide is "no one" to take serious.

Sailfish still lacks basic convenience features that every Smartphone Layman is used to and relies on.
That makes it hard to even convert relatives and friends as we all have experienced in the last 3 years.
"Just offering it with a cheap device and hope for the best" attempt has failed in india.
We have seen the mediocre comments from the Indian casual users who got thrown into an Aquafish experience after intex sales told them how perfectly android compatible it is :/

OTOH very good for Jolla, Sony seems to take them serious enough to put a foot into the door and bet on the future.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-03-06 at 10:14. Reason: typos

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, "no-one wants" is just tad extreme since we know that at least 1.7 ppm of people do want it

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@meet.vino,

With all due respect, sir, I suspect your judgement is blinded with love. Don't get me wrong, I also like SFOS, but it is hard to escape the objective reality. If the number of posters here and on TJC is any indication, the use base of Sailfish peaked out about two years to 18 months ago and has remained more or less stable ever since. From the Sony's point of view, 10k (or even 50k to be unrealistically generous) users (remember, only about 10% of that might translate to new units sales, the only thing that matters to them - and even the 10% is a very optimistic estimate) is "hardly anyone".

"OS that many haven't yet seen"... That may be so, but not due to a lack of trying. Jolla and Sailfish have had a lot of exposure over the years. If they failed to attract more users by now, then chances are low that they will suddenly attract millions now. The "OS for geeks" stigma will continue to be very difficult to wash off.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
@meet.vino,

With all due respect, sir, I suspect your judgement is blinded with love. Don't get me wrong, I also like SFOS, but it is hard to escape the objective reality. If the number of posters here and on TJC is any indication, the use base of Sailfish peaked out about two years to 18 months ago and has remained more or less stable ever since. From the Sony's point of view, 10k (or even 50k to be unrealistically generous) users (remember, only about 10% of that might translate to new units sales, the only thing that matters to them - and even the 10% is a very optimistic estimate) is "hardly anyone".

"OS that many haven't yet seen"... That may be so, but not due to a lack of trying. Jolla and Sailfish have had a lot of exposure over the years. If they failed to attract more users by now, then chances are low that they will suddenly attract millions now. The "OS for geeks" stigma will continue to be very difficult to wash off.
And the issue is they got no devices for anyone to buy even if they are interested. Jolla C is dev only limited, Turning well thee isn't anything there., aqua-fish needs to be imported from India and might not work with 4G bands.
As it stands Jolla has no proper purchasable phones, which doesn't help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Jolla and Sailfish have had a lot of exposure over the years.
Also limited to geek level.
I have yet to meet any person in real life that knew about Sailfish before i evangelized them like a vegan.
If you do not follow tech-channels, there is no chance you ever heard of it imho.
Thats why i took the indian example.
People just wanted a cheap phone that does calls and Whatsapp. "Dis no work" was their answer...

My guess with ~50000 users is based on current Alien Dalvik downloads from store (yeah, lol, speaks volumes).
Most people do it only once.
Before intex public release it was at around 15000 for Jolla1,C and tablet combined.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x