Poll: Is this on or off-topic?
Poll Options
Is this on or off-topic?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Soulfarmer View Post
Take away the tech described on those patents and what you get? iPod, no wlan. So, how inventive is Apple again?
Innovative. Not inventive.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Innovative. Not inventive.
Maybe innovative, but those who are inventive holds the patents. It seems. I should be sleeping already, sorry.
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Of course it's ambiguous. Think it through.
Maybe it's my inner Vorlon, but I can only answer "Is this on or off-topic?" with "Yes" ;-) (The third option is irrelevant to the question.)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Messages deleted. Please stick to debating aspects of the thread topic and refrain from personal attacks and insults. Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Maybe it's my inner Vorlon, but I can only answer "Is this on or off-topic?" with "Yes" ;-) (The third option is irrelevant to the question.)
The question should be, "Is this ON topic?" with Yes, No, etc options. Or it could be phrased "Is this on or off topic?" with "On" and "Off" as distinct options.

Is it on or off topic? Well of course it's one or the other... but if I answer "yes" to that, which do I think it is?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Good piece about this mess by Tarmo Virki of Reuters. Apple allready has licensing deal with Ericsson and Nokia might be seeking as much as 1 billion dollars from Apple.

http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...e=businessNews

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
About all the clueless people talking about "patents and IP being wrong and harmful to society".

Please: SHUT UP.

The platform you're using is based on that very cornerstone. ARM, the company that enables everything we do on a daily basis with our NITs is entirely without material products. They design products, and license them. That's how the whole company works.

That is really really really STUPID.

Where would ARM be if scienctists needed to wait 90 years after all authors' death in order to quote it? Probably drawing their valued "IP"s on a cave wall with a piece of charred wood.

Patents and copyrights deter progress of science and culture.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
That is really really really STUPID.

Where would ARM be if scienctists needed to wait 90 years after all authors' death in order to quote it? Probably drawing their valued "IP"s on a cave wall with a piece of charred wood.

Patents and copyrights deter progress of science and culture.
ONCE AGAIN: it is a logical mistake to confuse bad laws/implementation with the principle of patents (et al).

Patents and copyrights do NOT deter progress of science and culture at all, and in fact have advanced them. But that's an old, tired argument not worthy of axle-wrapping here.

BTW, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with maemo. If this is on-topic then maybe the site should be renamed to talk.nokiafanboys.com.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
BTW, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with maemo. If this is on-topic then maybe the site should be renamed to talk.nokiafanboys.com.
Of course it has something to do with maemo, now that the devices have GSM (etc) capability.

What affects Nokia affects the products.

Tags
apple, intellectual property, lawsuit, nokia, nonsense magnet, patent infringement