Just an update:

The cost of an unlocked retail Samsung Galaxy Nexus should be US$500.
According to Google anyway, which makes the iPhone 4S a joke.

By the way, Google is giving out free G-Nexus's (Nexi ?) in a twitter competition. Just guess what the message is in this picture:

I think it says 2:22pm 8 August 2012 = probably the release date of the source code for Android 5.0 Jelly Bean.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I'll get the Note once the ICS update is available unless something better is available then. I will not ever get an Android 2.x based device again, it just sucks.

Thanks for the replies, all of you!

I have pretty much decided that my next handset is going to be Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Droid Razr was the first one to be eliminated as an alternative, besides iPhone 4S, as somebody suggested.

I am still thinking about Nokia N9 after all the flattery I read from slai. However, providing that the price of N9 is almost the same that of Nexus, it N9 feels less appealing. Also, MicroSIM is a big issue to me, since I have several SIM card and I travel often, thus it be of a big inconvenience to me. The only way I would get N9, if I would see one for a lower price, though I doubt that is going to happen any time soon.

I have high hopes about Galaxy Nexus. After watching several preview videos, ICS and general user interface appear to be much more intuitive and polished than that one on previous Android devices. Browser also supports flash, which is a big plus in my books. Also, I found it to be rather similar to N900 hackability-wise - something that cannot be said about N9. Oh, and it supports proper sized SIM cards, too.

There were several replies suggesting Samsung Galaxy Note as well. As appealing it might seem, it appears to be a huge phone, especially after seeing comparison pictures with SGS2. I had my hands on SGS2, which I might add is a hefty phone size-wise, but Galaxy Note dwarfs it in comparison. So, I suppose Galaxy Note is not an option for me.

i got razr two weeks ago and it's just brilliant!
gingerbread (just updated to 2.3.6) will never be maemo - i knew that for a while - in ice cream sandwich i put my hopes
but design, DESIGN! - it looks and feels awesome! for me it's an achievement in modern technology, so thin!
screen beats sgs2 easily (not only by resolution) - my personal opinion - compared with two sgs2' so far
battery life (after a week) got significantly better (remember it's got one of the biggest batteries out there)
and holding it in landscape (as we all are already used to ) is very comfortable - thanks to the fatter end

now the question is - how do i put meego on it?
cortex a8 vs a9, powervr530 vs 540, omap 3630 vs 4430
when motorola unlocks bootloader - with ICS update - would it be possible? (wishful thinking)

oh, galaxy nexus - no micro sd slot, imo only screen resolution beats razr

Originally Posted by bald.eagle.one View Post
i got razr two weeks ago and it's just brilliant!
gingerbread (just updated to 2.3.6) will never be maemo - i knew that for a while - in ice cream sandwich i put my hopes
but design, DESIGN! - it looks and feels awesome! for me it's an achievement in modern technology, so thin!
screen beats sgs2 easily (not only by resolution) - my personal opinion - compared with two sgs2' so far
battery life (after a week) got significantly better (remember it's got one of the biggest batteries out there)
and holding it in landscape (as we all are already used to ) is very comfortable - thanks to the fatter end

now the question is - how do i put meego on it?
cortex a8 vs a9, powervr530 vs 540, omap 3630 vs 4430
when motorola unlocks bootloader - with ICS update - would it be possible? (wishful thinking)

oh, galaxy nexus - no micro sd slot, imo only screen resolution beats razr
Design of RAZR is truly impressive. Even though, I have claimed that I made up my mind to purchase Galaxy Nexus, I still marvel at the thinness of RAZR. MicroSD slot would come in handy, too as I'd like to have a lot of music files on my phone.

However, there couple of deal breakers when it comes to RAZR. First of all, it uses microSIM, which is a big inconveniece for me, as I travel quite often and change SIM cards frequently. Second, it will depend on Motorola to deliver updates, and that might take a while.

I'm also on the fence between the Galaxy Nexus and the N9
there's a couple of things I'm wondering about the N9:
-How fragile is the USB cover, exactly? Is breakage inevitable or can you just be gentle?
-How bad and how present is the screen problem?
-What are the differences between the 16gb and 64gb version? I heard that the latter performs better
also, the whole vs. thing - how do the browsers compare? Has Android gotten good enogh to match MeeGo or Maemo?
thanks for the help guys

of course, I have to ask my operator if they'll even stock the 64 gig version, if not then it's probably going to be the galaxy nexus

Parody >> The browser on N9 (If we exclude the opera browser, that can be installed from the terminal), is lightning faaast, but way to minimalistic. No tabbed browsing, no copy+paste (Should come in PR1.2), no customization at all, and no flash. Yes, HTML 5, but no webpages make use of HTML 5 except youtube??

Maemo/Meego is dead, thanks to the fool Elop. And i donīt expect any other browsers coming to the N9, but Opera is the best alternative if you can live with a few bugs.

Last edited by raver2011; 2011-11-29 at 17:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to raver2011 For This Useful Post:
Prefering Opera over the default browser is a pretty grim indicator
There's also that one thing about Android that's alwyays been bugging me, and it's the whole Google/privacy issue. I don't feel all that comfotarable sending so much info to ad companies and such

If you want a Nokia smartphone, you either have to go with the Lumia 800, or wait for the bigger sized Lumia 900, with 4,2 inch display and NFC - and of course: Windows Phone 7,5.

Last edited by raver2011; 2011-11-29 at 17:52.

I'd much prefer the N9 over any WP phone, for now at least :P
I guess I'll know for sure after the GN arrives, it'll probably come down to price