Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Until further notice, 'both' simply means Lumia (as in WP7.5) and future products (which we can safely presume mean Nokia WP8 smartphones and S40/Asha devices.

'Products' is a wide description, it does not refer solely to smartphones but could mean all peripherals....any accessory, tablet, etc.

There is no change in smartphone strategy.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by panukooo View Post
I have a proposal: Let's send emails only with the word MeeGo, I already send 40 xD
I think that's called spam. . .

The Following User Says Thank You to automagic68 For This Useful Post:
What are we talking about future products from Nokia? Nokia is dying right before your eyes; do you honestly think Nokia has any future? Nokia has burnt all its bridges, tied its future to WP and lost. Kicked, betrayed, backstabbed and killed by its so-called partner, Microsoft. Let me give you a rundown.

The Kick: Microsoft reveals its own Windows 8 tablet
So much for Elop's gung-ho about producing WP tablets as a future product.

The Betrayal:
Microsoft introduces Windows Phone 8 for fall release, incompatible with current devices
This mean Nokia has practically nothing to sell for the next 2 quarters.

The Backstab: Huawei looks to build Windows Phone 8 handset, Windows 8 tablet
China's smartphone market is twice the size of U.S. and crucial to Nokia's comeback but the rug has been pulled from under Nokia.

The Death Blow:
Microsoft may be making own phone, says analyst
Once MS starts making its own phone, all other WP manufacturers will have to get out. They can't very well compete with the maker of the OS. Hence MS will be following Apple's model of one company controlling both hardware and OS.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-06-24 at 04:56.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Sounds like a drunk prostitute.

The kick (to the groin).
The betrayal (by taking money upfront).
The backstab (with a knife).
The Death Blow (I'll let you ponder that one).

I'm just surprised he was able to get Elop's email.
Care to PM it to me?

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I'm just surprised he was able to get Elop's email.
Care to PM it to me?
You mean stephen.elop@nokia.com or mole_XX307@microsoft.com ?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Elop hoped the Lumias would sell much better than they did. With the announcement of WP8, the whole Lumia thing with WP7 seems like a big joke. It certainly is over for the Lumias, this is the end.
Stephen is not that stupid. He knows what he's doing and the aim is to hurt Linux on embedded market and maybe to sink Nokia if that's what it takes.

Tell me one single action by him that has raised Nokia's market value? I bet you find it hard to find any.

Now how about actions that have brought the share value down? Too many to count. Or actions to kill platforms that are direct competitors with Microsoft?

Sorry, but I find it - from day one of the partnership -, that Nokia is in bed with Microsoft against it's own interests. BoD seems like bunch of ignorants dancing by MS tune into eventual downfall of Nokia. They seem to have no clue about realities of the industry and where the trends lay.

Instead of listening to current and potential customers, they listen to MS shills whispering to their ears comfortable lies about how WP whatever will save Nokia.

Microsoft simply couldn't afford letting Intel and Nokia push Linux to mobile and embedded space at full force. In face of such competition they had to act and that action was coinvincing US shareholders and Nokia BoD to hire Elop instead of originally planned Vanjoki (who favored Linux as the future platform for Nokia).

Maybe I am wrong, but atleast in the light of all evidence, it makes more sense than thinking that Elop is just stupid and has no bias towards MS platform.

@Nokia: Either way, I got my N9 and it rocks. Thank you Nokia. As you've got no more of that coming, please fu(k off.

Last edited by ladoga; 2012-06-24 at 08:12.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
I think instead of involving Lumia, Nokia should put pure view in Meego, to avenge mircosoft of their betrayal and to promote Meego. Meego is the best executive OS in market with plenty of competence. Think Nokia think........

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by nauman.altaf View Post
I think instead of involving Lumia, Nokia should put pure view in Meego, to avenge mircosoft of their betrayal and to promote Meego. Meego is the best executive OS in market with plenty of competence. Think Nokia think........
By burning platforms behind him - killing pretty much every MeeGo related project in house + closing Salo factory - Elop has made sure none of that happens even if Nokia wakes up from their sleep.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
#16 Ladoga=

Makes complete sense to me. Explains why they drastically limited the availability of the N9. When it became evident that the N9 was becoming more widely available outside of their restrictions what else could they do but kill it off by ceasing production and support so soon.

I don't own the N900 because it's a Nokia. I own it because of Maemo 5.
I get the sense that it's MY phone, not Google's or Apple's or Microsoft's for that matter. If someone made a back cover and a bezel that didn't have Nokia carved into them and if someone found a way to delete all references to Nokia in the O/S I'd do it tomorrow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
Stephen is not that stupid. He knows what he's doing and the aim is to hurt Linux on embedded market and maybe to sink Nokia if that's what it takes.

Tell me one single action by him that has raised Nokia's market value? I bet you find it hard to find any.

Now how about actions that have brought the share value down? Too many to count. Or actions to kill platforms that are direct competitors with Microsoft?

Sorry, but I find it - from day one of the partnership -, that Nokia is in bed with Microsoft against it's own interests. BoD seems like bunch of ignorants dancing by MS tune into eventual downfall of Nokia. They seem to have no clue about realities of the industry and where the trends lay.

Instead of listening to current and potential customers, they listen to MS shills whispering to their ears comfortable lies about how WP whatever will save Nokia.

Microsoft simply couldn't afford letting Intel and Nokia push Linux to mobile and embedded space at full force. In face of such competition they had to act and that action was coinvincing US shareholders and Nokia BoD to hire Elop instead of originally planned Vanjoki (who favored Linux as the future platform for Nokia).

Maybe I am wrong, but atleast in the light of all evidence, it makes more sense than thinking that Elop is just stupid and has no bias towards MS platform.

@Nokia: Either way, I got my N9 and it rocks. Thank you Nokia. As you've got no more of that coming, please fu(k off.
Conspiracy theories are wrong. Period. I mean all of them, it's just naive and stupid, and a result of FUD and an inability to see the simple, practical and objective solutions instead of the creative and emotional. Conspiracy theories is something stupid and emotionally (over)sensitive people involve themselves with (fanboys?).

Elop is not stupid, but he is not a CEO with deep technological understanding and far reaching visions either. He is a thug, a slugger. He was hired to do exactly what he is doing. It's a big blow for him that Lumia didn't sell more than they did. You may call that stupid, but it was a calculated risk. If it didn't pay off, at least Nokia would be honed towards producing WP8 phones and as a bonus it could explore the lower end of the market with cheap WP7 phones. Lets be honest and objective, if they can manage to get WP7 in the Asha price range, they will sell like hot cakes.

From an objective point of view, what has happened with Nokia can easily be explained by the simple fact that it was a company in free fall with no believe that their products could survive the competition. The fact that 75% of the company consisted of blubber didn't exactly help.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:

Tags
specc=ericsson