Notices

I notice they discuss Akamai in this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=akamai

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Brazil
Do you have rootsh installed?

If you do, did you try something like this?
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
This should give you more information and let you try a workaround.

Notice where the update process get stuck. If it is during "Waiting for header", try the parameters on the post I suggested before. If all else fails, post the results so others might give you other suggestions.

Oy. With Akami involved it does complicate things. But no the certificate isn't the problem. The problem is occuring before the N900 even attempts to connect to downloads.maemo.nokia.com.

IF you aren't familiar with the protocls of the Internet. Applications don't use host names to communicate with Internet sites. Applications use IP addresses. They are represented by 4 numbers separated by dots (i.e 208.191.248.5 ). IP address as analogous to phone numbers of houses. But some silly reaon humans do want to have to remember numbers in order to call someone or reach a site on the 'Net.

So was have the phonebook of the Internet. It's called DNS (Domain Name Service). An application takes the host name of a given Internet site (i.e. downloads.maemo.nokia.com) and the DNS resolver service on the N900, that the IP address of that host name. When the answer comes back, the application then and only then tries to connect to the Internet site.

You N900's problem, it it's not getting an answer back from the DNS service on the N900, or it's taking too long for the answer to be sent.

Well... to be honest I mainly want to know whether this is a general problem, or whether it's just a problem for me.

If there's a problem at Nokia's end which is causing problems for many people, I'd want to tell them to fix it.

sljonson, I know what an IP address is. What I want to know is why this particular IP address isn't working through wi-fi, when everything else on the N900 works fine.

And why would these IP addresses resolve through cellular and not wi-fi?

You said that you can access the repository from your pc. Is that pc using the same wlan connection than N900?

I had this problem and I solved it by setting the DNS server addresses for my home wifi network on my device to directly point at my ISP's DNS servers, and not the dnsmasq server or router in my home lan. It's all good now.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
The PC is running the same WLAN/Wi-Fi connection as the N900.

And I have never had any problems with anything on this connection before. My N800, N810, all my Symbian S60 devices, Nintendo Wii, Windows, Linpus, Xandros, Ubuntu PCs all work absolutely fine on this connection with this router.

And like I said, everything else works, including Maemo Extras through wi-fi and cellular.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
And why would these IP addresses resolve through cellular and not wi-fi?
different ISP and almost certainly different dns server

Akami is a company that sells distribution service to other companies. They have their own private network in which they distribute other companies data all over the Internet. When you go to one of the Akami hosted sites, Akami's servers will use your IP address and send you to the "nearest" Akami site that's publicly visable on the Internet.

When everything works, people get extremely fast responses from the company's web site. But if there a probem, it will mysterously work and fail. I don't know who at Nokia to bring this attention to this. IT would help is they had the public IP address that you are using and the output of the followig command in the X-terminal.

nslookup downloads.maemo.nokia.com