Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
The ONLY two things Sony makes that aren't proprietary are certain batteries and computers [and I wouldn't even trust some of their computers these days either]. This Mylo thing is doomed to a shorter life than their Clie line.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by =DC=
The ONLY two things Sony makes that aren't proprietary are certain batteries and computers [and I wouldn't even trust some of their computers these days either]. This Mylo thing is doomed to a shorter life than their Clie line.
I believe that the batteries (that can catch fire) that Apple is recalling are made by Sony

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston, Massachusetts
Here's a early look @ the mylo:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/01/h...the-sony-mylo/

The small screen is still a deal killer for me... might as well use a freakin cell phone. whats the point.

BTW, I don't mean to be an ***, but Sony does make non proprietary stuff like TVs and CD players, believe it or not. Anyone remember the transistor radio, the walkman? come on give these guys some credit.
Sony gets a lot of crap these days, but mainly because of the mismanagement under that A S S Howard Stringer. I did recently buy a Bravia LCD TV, because after comparing all my choices, the quality was still the best (The Sharp, though looking good on paper did not seem to perform as well in reality).
anyways, I'm usually first to criticize Sony's incompetance, but I also realize that they have put out a lot of good products in the past and they do (or at least used to before Stringer), put a lot into their R&D.

edit: also, the linux on a sony device does not surprise me all that much. They did afterall support the Linux on PS2 project. And the Clies run palm OS, so they are not all Windows all the time.

Last edited by oafbot; 2006-09-01 at 21:22.

Just to add to the post above... I didn't realize just how tiny the Mylo was until I saw it compared to the 770 in the Engadget article. Oh, and Sony is using Linux on the PS3 as well. Each console will come preloaded with it.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I have a feeling this is one of those devices that's cool to look at, but will suck at everything it's supposed to do. Until I can personally get my hands on one to see if I'm wrong, I'm sticking with my first instincts. Also, is it just me, or should Sony have come out with this thing as the Clie replacement a long time ago?
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
You would not be happy (unless you knew no better).

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
This is a child's toy, people. Nothing more. Much like comparing a Tonka Toy truck to a real one.

Here's a Mylo review:

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Sony-Mylo.htm

just as expected: decent UI and features, crappy screen realestate...

One positive thing that may come out of all of this is that if the mylo does get adopted by some set of people (read: gen-y kids), it may solidify the "Internet Tablet" as a legitimate product category in the eyes of the general pubic. Maybe with the addition of the mylo, the Internet Tablet category will generate more interest, and the 770 can get some well deserved advertisement through proxy. A little competition for the 770 may convince Nokia to further develop the 770 and its successor for the mass market.

If the mylo had better screen res, it would have been perfect for me to give to someone like my mom, so she doesn't have to lug a laptop when she goes abroad. Lets face it, the way it stands, the 770 isn't for all users. Thats OK, but Nokia may need to work on a even simpler and friendlier interface, set-up, features, and user experience for the general public.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with what the 770 does, it is exactly the device that I waited for since around 1999, when I decided the palm pilot was a useless piece of junk. It took seven long years for my wish to be fulfilled, but kudos to Nokia for bringing us the 770.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by oafbot
One positive thing that may come out of all of this is that if the mylo does get adopted by some set of people (read: gen-y kids), it may solidify the "Internet Tablet" as a legitimate product category in the eyes of the general pubic. Maybe with the addition of the mylo, the Internet Tablet category will generate more interest, and the 770 can get some well deserved advertisement through proxy. A little competition for the 770 may convince Nokia to further develop the 770 and its successor for the mass market
The mylo is not an internet tablet by most industry standards - no touchscreen, small display/bad surfing experience, no email client. It competes with the sidekick, MDA, etc. We don't need any more of those type devices, and I hope 770 development is not infuenced by the mylo.

Originally Posted by SD69
The mylo is not an internet tablet by most industry standards - no touchscreen, small display/bad surfing experience, no email client. It competes with the sidekick, MDA, etc. We don't need any more of those type devices, and I hope 770 development is not infuenced by the mylo.
OK whatever. If you are going to nitpick on what constitutes an "internet tablet", there probably won't be any other device on the market that will fit (perhaps ever) into your narrow defintition of the category.
I agree that the mylo is not a "tablet" device, and as you point out there are many deficiencies. I'm not even saying it measures up to the 770 in any way, or is in direct competition or shares the same demographic. But in the eyes of the masses and idiotic tech reviewers such niche classifications make little difference.
I guess I'm a little more flexible with my definition of what a internet tablet may be, or whatever one wants to call an internet devoted palm sized device. Perhaps because I don't see touch-screen as a necessity. For one thing the stylus paradigm is outdated and probably will eventually be replaced by some other input method at least in some devices. Personally I would not necessarily reject a mouse-pointer via joy pad type control, among other possible UI+hardware combinations. The stylus thing's a vestige of the Newton Message Pad thats been badly implemented through Palm and later by Pocket PCs and Tablet PCs.
In anyway my point was not that Nokia should be influenced in its development of the 770 (as you put it) by the mylo. My point was that hopefully with more gadgets in the general field of portable internet surfing devices, corporate execs would not feel the need to pull the plug on projects like the 770, and that hopefully they'd feel the impetus to put more resources into further development.