Originally Posted by maluka View Post
The Droid still has no flash. The N900 had from day one.
Hmm, given that I don't use the camera feature, I guess I never saw that as a failing. But I guess that could be considered one.

As for why the droid is best, I guess there's just too many things to name. As for the keyboard issue, that's never been a problem with me. The n810 had the same problem until you learned the keyboard, and then everything went fast. Of course, I got tired of the keyboard after a while and found that I could actually pound things out faster with the onscreen keyboard, so I haven't looked back since. It's actually kinda hilarious to be using that and then see the expressions of people as you hammer away with it like a madman.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Hmm, given that I don't use the camera feature, I guess I never saw that as a failing. But I guess that could be considered one.

As for why the droid is best, I guess there's just too many things to name. As for the keyboard issue, that's never been a problem with me. The n810 had the same problem until you learned the keyboard, and then everything went fast. Of course, I got tired of the keyboard after a while and found that I could actually pound things out faster with the onscreen keyboard, so I haven't looked back since. It's actually kinda hilarious to be using that and then see the expressions of people as you hammer away with it like a madman.
Wait, what kind of flash are we talking about here. Is it flash player or the camera? And, really, too many things and you can't even name one.

The Following User Says Thank You to herix1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
lol .... he thought you ment a camera flash . . . lol . . . . I guess it is unconceivable to have full flash on a smart phone

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Aside from being the best Android device with a keyboard, I'm not sure what's so great about the DROID, honestly.
Right their you said it .... it is the best Android device with a keyboard . . . . The specs are great a big high res screen, a keyboard and Android. Android is the best part of the equation . . . Google Mobile OS's built-in proprietary Apps are the best . . . . The Google Maps and the Google Voice Recognition and unmatched by any mobile device including the "MAGICAL" iphone. (don't really see how the UI is really that magical compared to Mobile environments like Maemo on the N900 and desktop environments like Linux-Compiz )

Non the less, Google's API Powered Apps give them a very unfair advantage with Android / Google Branded Devices.

The part that sucks?

These Google Apps are proprietary and even Android devices not made with Google's Help and Approval will not include them. Even if NIT-DROID is successful in bringing Android to the Nokia N900 hardware.... the software will suck big time because without Google's proprietary Apps, Android can not even begin to compare to the Maemo OS.

Distributing Google Proprietary Apps would be illegal

Last edited by mrebanza; 2010-01-30 at 05:18.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
i think the driod is one of the best phones on the market. but i do also think its little over rated. known as the phone that does... but it seems like most of the features that they promote on he droid is taking 5mp pictures, running apps and has a swappable battery, honestly it promotes features that pretty much all high end phones have. except for the iphone haha.

i dont see how its better than the nexus one in terms of the os. the only thig it has on the nexus one is that it has a full physical keyboard, and that doesn't even matter to me (i'm using virtual keyboard on the n900).

droid is a great phone but don't listen to all the hype. the n900 has full flash, fm transmitter, maemo and a bunch of other things not built in other phones, the. nexus one has great specs all around. iphone has a huge collection off apps. all the phones have their advantages and all the n900 people here value its features more and thats why we own one

Last edited by RogerTHAcctant; 2010-01-30 at 06:08.

Originally Posted by gtbaka View Post
It's typical American-centric thinking. They have a huge market share in the US and conclude they own the rest of the world.
Thank you for putting into words what I have been thinking since the iPhone first came out.

Just pisses me off that I live in the same country as people who are just so stupid they can't even do their own research on ANYTHING!!!

Idjits...

The Following User Says Thank You to Inacurate For This Useful Post:
I'm really new to the smartphone market. And whilst waiting at a verizon store so that I could get a prepaid data plan, I sat at a kiosk and played with a Droid. Saw the ads in commercials and understood this was a iphone killer hopeful, but had no idea that I was playing with an Android phone at the time. I was thinking to myself. Bleh. Okay. Whatever. Not impressed with the UI.

Then after being wowed by the N900, I researched the competitors, and lo and behold, that unimpressive OS I played with was Android. Hmm. Is it any wonder that as Engadget displayed the Nexus One for the first time, I again was unimpressed. I do understand that Android is great because of the large availability of apps. But I think it failed to nab me because it's premise was improving on a limited cell phone os interface to begin with. Whereas the N900's premise was to turn a netbook/computer into a phone. And that really is what these smartphones should strive to have. I am by no means a phone aficionado, but do love my computers. The day that a phone has the type of smooth operation that my Thinkpad has, I will be a very happy camper. As it stands, the N900 is the closest thing to providing me that experience.

Re: the blog. I hate all things apple as much as the next person here. But as long as the majority of the worlds population prefers convenience and familiarity with someone telling them what is and what's not cool like the Lemmings that they are, Apple is in great shape. What they shouldn't do is try to pretend they are something that they clearly are not. It's typical American-centric thinking. They have a huge market share in the US and conclude they own the rest of the world.
Glad your picking the right side

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Well, the n900 is nice, and I'll probably get lynched for saying this here, but right now the Motorola Droid is the best smart phone on the market, period.)
Well, it seems that judging by the responces you maybe should have said 'in my opinion' instead of 'period' because, after all, that's really all it is, is it not. sorry for taking issue with the use of the word 'period'...but i've woken up early and seem to be on my period. Period. :-)

Danielle

Last edited by Dancairo; 2010-01-30 at 08:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
But as long as the majority of the worlds population prefers convenience and familiarity with someone telling them what is and what's not cool like the Lemmings that they are, Apple is in great shape. What they shouldn't do is try to pretend they are something that they clearly are not. It's typical American-centric thinking. They have a huge market share in the US and conclude they own the rest of the world.
I'll be watching the SuperBowl next weekend between arguably the 2 best teams in the USA, but whoever wins will be proclaimed World Champions...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Texas
.....But as long as the majority of the worlds population prefers convenience and familiarity with someone telling them what is and what's not cool like the Lemmings that they are, Apple is in great shape. .
I'm not sure but last time I checked the majority(39%) of mobile users were Nokia. I also seem to remember 4th Quater results showed growth for Nokia in the smartphone arena and a drop of 0.3% for apple. So not everyone in the world is drinking the Kool-aid.