Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Anyone know if bluetooth stereo headphones will work with the 770 - if so, what make/model?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
it brings me to the question :
what version of bluetooth is the 770 ?
And what profile is supported ?

Fred

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Bluetooth 1.2 I think, don't have any information about profiles.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I know bluetooth 1.2 can handle stereo audio.
For the profile it's up to the software ... so if it's not there yet it will be ;-)
o Fred

I've tested a set of Bluetooth stereo headphones on my 770. They sort of worked. There were some issues, but they should be eventually solvable:

1. Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth for raw, uncompressed stereo CD quality audio. Thus, there's a compression scheme used. It involves floating point math; the 770 doesn't have an FPU. This means it's very slow. The bluez code I tested with was about 1/5 or 1/10 of real time. It _worked_, it just played for a second or so, and then was silent for a few seconds...

This can be fixed by either improving the compression code and optimizing it for the 770, or by pre-compressing it, and simply storing your music in that format - if you just want music playback.

2. Integration with the existing 770 applications and audio system. Don't know how to do this. It would need to be done if you want the standard apps to play your music out to the headphones.

I think that a quick approach of pre-compressing your music, and writing a quickly hacked custom player for music playback only over BT stereo would be doable fairly easily. Fully supported would require more time and effort, but could certainly be done.