Notices

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
I'm trying to get the browser in OS2008 to open external links, i.e. links from the RSS reader, email, etc., in a new window, rather than the current window. I found that in other mozilla browsers, setting browser.link.open_external to 2 in about:config should do this, but it doesn't seem to work on the tablet. I found another solution for mozilla browsers at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Make_Firef...ns_in_new_tabs, but I don't know where to find the startup script on the tablet.
Does anyone know how to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Any ideas?

I'd like this too. Nothing sucks more than to have an important web site open, then go to the google search applet out of habit, and have your site replaced with your search... I'd like to have it open in a new window.

I think this is called the "reuse browser window" feature in Internet Explorer, but I don't see anything like that in about:config.

Just wondering if anyone has figured this out yet. I find it quite rediculous that I have to be in the habit of first opening up a browser window, then opening up whatever bookmark I am navigating to just to make sure my existing windows open dont get reused (its hard enough living without my firefox tabs in the first place!)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Eladon View Post
Just wondering if anyone has figured this out yet. I find it quite rediculous that I have to be in the habit of first opening up a browser window, then opening up whatever bookmark I am navigating to just to make sure my existing windows open dont get reused (its hard enough living without my firefox tabs in the first place!)

Agreed... Why can't our tablets be like all the other portable Internet devices out there.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
mauku seems able to pull this trick of, but i guess it specifically asks the browser to do so.

oh, and i suspect that the trick linked to in first post wont work, as while it shares the same engine, the maemo browser and firefox is not the same.

i suspect there is some kind of dbus signal one can use, but how to change the default, i have no clue about.