Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I agree. Tablets are toys. So are smart phones and pcs...
Not entirely. Tablet, yes. Smartphones, yes. PCs, no. PCs are for work.
Of course, work can be fun. Sadly, I am not that lucky.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the portable counterparts of the desktop computers of the same era had a battery life counted in weeks or months (Sharp PC 1500, HP 95LX...). Similar counterparts in 2010s barely manage through the day. What went wrong?
People accepted/ preferred light and thin vs. thick and heavier with longer battery life. The thing here I can not understand is to integrate battery inside, so that no bigger battery is possible even if wanted. " People use different shoes in weddings and when hiking" but same battery for every occasion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
The first???
I do not think so! .
There was also the Pengpod. I got one. It was awful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I do not quite follow that line of reasoning. If you had said that 8 hours is fine for a desktop replacement then I would understand. That is pretty much where laptops fit. But 8 hours for something that, by your own emphasis, is NOT aiming to replace a desktop? For something that, by its very nature, is meant to be mobile?

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the portable counterparts of the desktop computers of the same era had a battery life counted in weeks or months (Sharp PC 1500, HP 95LX...). Similar counterparts in 2010s barely manage through the day. What went wrong?
Although I fully agree that battery life should be improved drastically, I do believe that 8 hours of work is sufficient for many things in which makes it not classified as only a toy.

For example, I have a Surface Pro 3, and when I first bought it (I was going to university at the time), I used it for literally everything and it lasted me the whole day at school.. And I did everything on it. (I had my books, notes, code.. etc). So my point here is that it really depends on how you use the tablet that classifies it, you cannot go ahead and generalise all tablets as toys.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
All of these arguments perhaps point to the true reason no Linux device has really sold in massive numbers. There's an argument over even the minute of details or capability and compared to something mythical.

8 hours of device time, in full-blown use is not a bad metric. Not the best, but a 2kg laptop barely beats that. Most phones state high numbers, but use them for hours with screens turned own. You'll rarely get more than 5.

What's being called a toy, I use professionally. I use both the iPad Pro and a Surface Pro 4 in the creative industry. Both get more than 8 hours actually, if I'm being smart that is.

What's being touted as a solution; I don't think it exists. And this product won't address what you guys consider a solution either. Not sure what would - I didn't get 8 hours+ on my N810. Pretty darn close, but it's no longer supported - community or otherwise.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
My Kobo Touch n905c ereader is the only device {I have, and know} whose 1000mAh battery last 8 days actually.
It's been said it is possible turn it a debian tablet. When I got time I'll do the try

That's the benefit of e-Ink displays.

Last edited by maegon9y00; 2016-11-22 at 23:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Please, someone summon Dave999
sorry I couldn't attend. apparently I was banned by Win because I used the word scam 26 times this year. Seems to be a TMO limit at 25/per year or something.

So I cant say that this is a ****. But if you planning to invest I would get some kind of **** insurance first.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
sorry I couldn't attend. apparently I was banned by Win because I used the word scam 26 times this year. Seems to be a TMO limit at 25/per year or something.

So I cant say that this is a ****. But if you planning to invest I would get some kind of **** insurance first.
You just made it 27

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
It seems they made MJ7HDTV 7" Android Tablet with Built-in HDTV Tuner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2WvK8WfgLw

Before they planned this tablet with Ubuntu in mind.
and collected nearly 9999

In this indiegogo campaign they have at this moment:
$3,429 USD raised by 16 backers 27-nov
$4,064 USD raised by 19 backers 29-nov
$4,539 USD raised by 21 backers 30-nov

If they get $1,000USD each day, they will get only $USD34000 USD in a month. So they will need at least $3,000USD daily to obtain fixed goal of $100,000 USD
It seems it is actually in frozen state from 30 nov
$4,539 USD raised by 21 backers 9-dec
5% of $100,000
fixed goal
17 days left

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
It seems it is actually in frozen state from 30 nov
$4,539 USD raised by 21 backers 9-dec
5% of $100,000
fixed goal