hi all..
since i bought my N900, 3 months ago, i've noticed the GPS in not accurate at all!
what i'm getting the assumed location is far from the real location with around 700 meters, mostly to the NORTH direction..
this still happening even after i've updated the nokia maps & i've downloaded the maps (to avoid being connected all the time).
& it's not only with ovi maps, but with any program i install related to the GPS & location.

any suggestion or advice pls..

Wait for pr 1.2, its accurate within 5-10 meters for me (leaked pr 1.2)

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Usually my GPS picks me up several hundred meters away also, but after I move a bit, It gets an accurate signal. If you open the status menu, and look at the GPS button, it'll say how good the signal is ("Fine Accuracy" is the best, with "Course accuracy" being a rough estimate)

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Depending on which mode you run the GPS in, you get different levels of accuracy.

There is a table on the wiki describing this:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...g_Location_API

And for what it's worth, I used the GPS in a car going at 130km/h getting really good accuracy (within 10m) with OVIMaps.

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-05-11 at 15:47. Reason: Data point

You can get your position using the Data connection on your cellphone which is not very accurate. It is a triangulation of your data signal.

You can also get a fix when your cellphone connects to GPS satellites which is very accurate.

When it says coarse accuracy, your phone got a fix using the data connection and when it says fine accuracy, you're connected to satellites

Also, having a data connection will allow you to connect to satellites way faster

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Tinnet View Post
Wait for pr 1.2, its accurate within 5-10 meters for me (leaked pr 1.2)
I look forward to that. While walking on bridges my GPS always shows me in the water. Makes me nervous .
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by grog View Post
I look forward to that. While walking on bridges my GPS always shows me in the water. Makes me nervous .
I do wonder how an update of the firmware would be able to affect the GPS. It's still the same hardware in there and you'd still get the same data from it.

Claiming that accuracy increased with 1.2 sounds dubious, if not even a case of self-delusion.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The gps is noticeably better with the leaked version. I haven't checked the accuracy specifically.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, Saxony
@Joorin: Same hardware, same data input? So what about a new piece of software, which pr 1.2 is obviously? Sometimes it is all about algorithms and processing the input. Just wait and then give the pr1.2 a try. I hope it will bring a better accuracy.

Originally Posted by kubaysi View Post
hi all..
since i bought my N900, 3 months ago, i've noticed the GPS in not accurate at all!
what i'm getting the assumed location is far from the real location with around 700 meters, mostly to the NORTH direction..
this still happening even after i've updated the nokia maps & i've downloaded the maps (to avoid being connected all the time).
& it's not only with ovi maps, but with any program i install related to the GPS & location.

any suggestion or advice pls..
Where are you using it? There are bug reports written up against the inaccuracy of Ovi Map in the greater China area.