Active Topics

Oh and much much more.

I'm currently in the process of making a detailed guide (with screenshots and such) to get around certain restrictions....

Skype charges for calling out.
GV+Gizmo no charge.

This is 100% free* VOIP (I'll explain that) to Gizmo5 users, cellphones and landlines.

Google Voice isn't an all-inclusive service. It requires a "middleman" be that a cellphone, landline, or Gizmo5 account.

You can also "pipe" it through more than one such middleman services or apps. Asterisk for example.

There are going to be a lot of uses for GV in the future, people just need to figure them out (and/or create middleman/mediums for new uses).

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I plan on using GV exclusively in college. Maybe a cheap prepaid phone just for emergencies, but VOIP is the wave of the future.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
Thanks a lot, It crossed my mind once about #2 but i wasnt sure if it would work for me after the fact, and #1 was the first thing i tried as soon as i got the message, it wasnt even falling for it...
So, how about #1? Do you have any idea how to get a reliable proxy server with an IP number from the US? Every proxy I find doesn't work to set up a Google Voice account from abroad. I'd like to tinker more with it, since I have another GV invitation.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
So, how about #1? Do you have any idea how to get a reliable proxy server with an IP number from the US? Every proxy I find doesn't work to set up a Google Voice account from abroad. I'd like to tinker more with it, since I have another GV invitation.
no unfortunatly i dnt, all the places i've been dnt work for me. I tried to use them when i first got here to watch my netflix online movies but nothing worked ( without having to pay ) I even tried to find out by googling it but no luck. I aslo looked to see if it would work for me when i got my PS3 so i could download movies but it still didnt work, i think i changed the ip addy of both but a co-worker told me i can change the computer ip all day but unlless i can change teither the router ip or something then it will never work. i share the router with a roommate ( its his ) so not only is that above my experience level to fook with but i dnt wana tinker and mess up someone else's stuff

but if you find a way please let me know,

side note - just in case you missed it i did get my account going through a friend in the states, but now i'm trying to figure out how to receive calls "on my tablet" using Gv+gizmo...

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
Update: Not sure if I mentioned this before, but Gizmo now integrates with Google Voice. There is a new feature, called "Gizmo Voice," where you can send your outgoing calls directly through Google Voice. You don't get charged when you do this. I understand this is an experimental feature, and I was told that there may be occasional outages.

You can enable it by going to the Gizmo web interface and entering your Google Voice credentials under "Google Voice."

My main use case is with a landline phone connected to an analog telephone adapter. I've been making outgoing calls directly from this phone and it so far seems to integrate seamlessly. I am not getting charged for these calls.

I've also tested it using the GIzmo client. That works too- exactly like the ATA-connected phone.

Gizmo Voice does not seem to work from the N810's Internet Call client. When I make calls that way I get a computer voice telling me I need to purchase credit. Not sure what the problem is.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
well before you do let me tell you it worked great for me (my best friend did it for me and now i can use it here in korea on my laptop ) but now (after following the break down of each program in your blog i still cant make calls from my tablet... but i think it might have been the fact that my friend entered my skype number for the GV to be set up and i was trying to get rid of skype and be FREE but i guess i'm still stuck...

If you can help me figure out what i can do to just use my tablet it would be a blessing... do i have to use all three programs or can i just use google talk?

thanks,
It shouldn't matter that your friend put your Skype number in. You can add or remove forwarding phones as often as you like.

Once your Google Voice account is set up, you should be able to log in from anywhere. Under "Settings" and "Phones," enter your Gizmo SIP number (the one that starts with 1747). Under phone type, make sure you have selected "Gizmo," otherwise this will not work.

I suggest testing this setup with the Gizmo client on your N810. In order to take calls, you have to leave it running in the background. Once you confirm that it works, you can try setting up your tablet's Internet Call client as described in "Part Two" of my tutorial.

Personally, I prefer the Internet Call client over Gizmo simply because it is lighter and isn't a resource hog when it is left running in the background. YMMV.

Let us know if this works for you.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Ok, let me get this straight. You guys have figured out a way to use Google Voice to actually do voip similar to skype?
Not only does it work like Skype, I think it is better than the skype application for the NIT. When on longer calls on Skype it would start sounding choppy. I have not had that issue with SIP yet.

And if you wanted to do video, using Gizmo to Gizmo on the PC is the only way I've gotten it to work.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by hornartist View Post
Update: Not sure if I mentioned this before, but Gizmo now integrates with Google Voice. There is a new feature, called "Gizmo Voice," where you can send your outgoing calls directly through Google Voice. You don't get charged when you do this.
Oh yes.

After months of VoIP boredom Gizmo5 gave me something new to tinker with. I made sucessful phone calls from N810 and my desk phone to the US and to Germany. They went via Gizmo5 and Google Voice. The call to Germany cost $0.02 per minute and the call to my US number from Truphone was free. The sound quality was great and Gizmo5 transmitted my Google Voice number as caller ID. Great!

So, whom do I call now in the US?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by hornartist View Post
I've posted some tutorials to my blog.
Thanks! Great blogs!

I would like your opinion on something. I already have Skype with SkypeOut, SkypeIn and a phone number. Since I am already paying for this, and it works well, and there is a Skype client for the N810, is there any reason to use Gizmo5?

I have a Google Voice account set up and I have my Skype number added to it.

Can I do all the same things you discuss on your blog, but with Skype and GV?

I have not started using GV yet. I would appreciate your thoughts on the best way to go. (I did sign up for Gizmo5, but so far I can't see how it has any advantages over Skype. Am I missing something (besides the fact that I could save a few bucks)?

Thanks.

EDIT:
The tutorial on your blog allowed me to get everything set up and working. One question:

I do not understand the ramifications of the “Callback Number” in DialCentral. Does it make a difference if I use my cell phone or my landline? What about using my SkypeIn number here?

Also, in GV, I had to verify about 20 times before the verification process worked (i.e., before the call came in to my N810). And then I had to do it all over again because I didn't know how to find the dial pad the first time (but your tutorial explained it well, so I got it working).

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-07-29 at 16:26. Reason: got it working

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
When on longer calls on Skype it would start sounding choppy. I have not had that issue with SIP yet.
I just saw your post. All my Skype calls are choppy, even short ones. (I'm not sure why.)

Why do you think the Gizmo quality would be better? The client software?

Maybe it is worth trying Gizmo... are you still getting better quality than Skype?

Tags
free phone service, gizmo, google voice, sunrocket