Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^queue Dave, he'll be excited to start another epic PR1.3 anticipation thread... >.>

Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
So to sum it up:
Launch event: 27th of November, invitations only to those who pre-ordered in Finland.
450 devices, sold only to those who pre-ordered.
So, is that finally when we'll get some honest to God substance/detail?
(& I don't just mean availability/roll-out details, that's the least of my concerns)

Those who registered for pre-order outside Europe, as per Jolla in Twitter: “Right, that was to get the T-shirt and priority number.
Shipping in outside of Europe has not been announced yet.”
Will those outside the EU/China get more detail on shipping/availability @27/11?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-14 at 12:58.

I got the news, I just wanted to see marc and whoever the girl was ~

It'd be nice to have rolling release style of update during the beta, that'd be nice but won't happen hmm...

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
^queue Dave, he'll be excited to start another epic PR1.3 anticipation thread... >.>

Me or Marc... What do you men?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

You know, to list one's FIRST device to launch in the nearest time with a BETA OS is gonna get screwed over by the real world. Fanboys from all sort of devices are gonna be commenting (over and over) about how the os is beta. we've already been mocked by the hardware..

So, is that finally when we'll get some honest to God substance/detail?
(& I don't just mean availability/roll-out details, that's the least of my concerns)

Will those outside the EU/China get more detail on shipping/availability @27/11?
What do you mean by substance? More specs?

Might be, although they havenīt said anything about the contents of the launch event yet.

*Status of the Sailfish Alliance
*Much greater exposure to native apps/sw
*Much more detail about their Android plans
*Fill in the remaining gaps surrounding hw
*More detail about their plans for TOH strategy i.e. hw/sw(API)/co-op with 3rd-parties/community
*Proper community website/infra ala maemo.org 2.0
It goes on & on & on...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-14 at 13:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
*Status of the Sailfish Alliance
*Much greater exposure to native apps/sw
*Much more detail about their Android plans
*Fill in the remaining gaps surrounding hw
*More detail about their plans for TOH strategy i.e. hw/sw(API)/co-op with 3rd-parties/community
*Proper community website/infra ala maemo.org 2.0
It goes on & on & on...
Speaking for myself personally: I am always incredibly careful to not communicate anything that is not without a doubt 100% absolutely certain, going to happen, and not plausibly going to harm us in any way, shape, or form. Had we been open with some of the things you talk about significantly earlier, I can say that they would have harmed us (and you) because things subsequently went on to change, and we would not have been able to fulfil promises/etc.

That sort of thing has happened in the past, and it has burned a lot of us (and you), so we're careful - perhaps overly so - to avoid repeating any of those mistakes.

That's just how things are.

That having been said, I do think that from time to time we're a little too cautious, but we have to keep in mind where we are in terms of schedule. Things still haven't shipped, things can still change (just look at the N900 launch date...) so we still need to be careful.

With regard to things like community plans - it's a little hard to share details that aren't necessarily yet completely clear to us. We aren't all-knowing beings. We have our own thoughts and ideas (see for instance Carsten's blogpost at http://mer-project.blogspot.no/2013/...munity-in.html) - but the same sort of caution applies there: until things actually happen, plans can change.

Once the hardware is out there, in your hands, the dynamic changes - we're on more of a level footing. You know what's there, you can ask questions of us, and we can answer as equals. Until then, that's really, really hard, and I can understand your frustration, and do nothing more than to beg your patience to stretch a little more.

If you have specific questions, particularly on the software area (that don't go into things like business partnerships), then I can try to get answers for you, and do try to do so on an occasional basis while reading this forum.

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
If you have specific questions, particularly on the software area (that don't go into things like business partnerships), then I can try to get answers for you, and do try to do so on an occasional basis while reading this forum.
Is there push notification service & api for native applications?
Same question about Android applications?

I assume that GCM is out of the scope because it's part of the Google Play API, which you'd get only if you had Google approved Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red