Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Oh but i am calm all i want is a PROPER statement and i am expecting something like.... this community will no longer be supporting Nokia or Maemo or Meego and untill the words are written and read people are just going to prolong the misery.

This IS time for everyone to be straight and then we can move on... simple as that no swearing or arguments.
You've been told they are discussing this internally, the news was only yesterday, I think that you need a little more patience, it is not unreasonable to give them time to decide what, if anything, they will do.

And you don't need to rant on about needing support from Nokia, much of what we already need is available. There are a few bits that would be nice if they were opened up, but Maemo is 95% open source, the community can achieve a lot with what is already available.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
[...], but Maemo is 95% open source [...]
43%*
http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/maemo...penness/pr1.1/

And yeah, we can achieve, if we rewrite the closed source parts (shouldn't be hard for a Gtk developer) and replace them in the CSSU (thanks to nicolai for rewriting the LED notifications applet already, it'll be part of the next CSSU update).

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2011-02-12 at 22:42.

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
43%*

And yeah, we can achieve, if we rewrite the closed source parts (shouldn't be hard for a Gtk developer) and replace them in the CSSU (thanks to nicolai for rewriting the LED notifications applet already, it'll be part of the next CSSU update).
Sounds promising but is it possible for a total Maemo OS incorperating all the tested apps that DONT crash the N900?.

I personally think this forum as in Maemo.org should be re-named to something else because its title alone suggests it is taking the pee.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Sounds promising but is it possible for a total Maemo OS incorperating all the tested apps that DONT crash the N900?.

I personally think this forum as in Maemo.org should be re-named to something else because its title alone suggests it is taking the pee.
My impression is that it was planned at some point to merge this site into Meego.org.OOPS! Somehow that seems less likely now.

What is happening seems to me to show the folly of putting all our eggs into the Nokia basket. Or, for that matter, the Maemo basket. As I have said before many times, this site is a wonderful place and the best way to keep it going is to return to InternetTabletTalk.

Edit: Maybe we could get sponsorship from Intel. From news reports they seem to have been shaken up by the sudden deemphasis of Meego.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-02-13 at 00:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
43%*
Thanks for that. I notice that the link is for PR1.1, has it not changed since then, not that I expect it to have. It does also include things like Amazon widget installer (is that something anyone wants?) and dtg-installer, which although included with Maemo I wouldn't consider them part of Maemo, and it doesn't include things like the kernel, busybox, glibc, pulseaudio, dbus. So I'd definitely consider the percentage to be higher than 43%, but still not as high as I thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
43%*

Basically your'e saying, that "we" (community/everyone who wants to help) can open the 100% of the N900?

What happen with the phone part? I mean, with all the differents laws that exists in every country, for example (hypothetically speaking), "we" can put 3G video call in the N900, or integrate by default stuff like twitter or anything else.

Could be done? There would be any kind of problem by doing that?

Grettings.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My impression is that it was planned at some point to merge this site into Meego.org.OOPS! Somehow that seems less likely now.
No, it was decided just after the original MeeGo announcement to not force merge the communities by merging maemo.org and MeeGo.com.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
43%*
OMGpwndLOL

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Well i am a believer. I think this community can do this. We could even improve it's debian compatibility. Like adding the tools that normally exists in an debian dist.

Sure.. the backing of an company is valuable but not a necessity. There is plenty of proof of that in the linux world. If we as a community believe in the continuation of Maemo it will survive. But we need someone who can take the lead. I hope the Council will do that. I do not know if there are any legality problems such as the rights of the name Maemo. Maybe staring up something similar to a Maemo Foundation could be something. Anyway we will need a system for donations. It might be useful in case we need to hire someone short term for a specific task. Also Intel and the development of Meego will still be beneficial to us.. maybe not as much as before.. but still.

There is still a lot of talents in this community. Maybe a remake of maemo.org would be advisable and also down sizing so it will be easier to contribute and manage. Right now it is little difficult to participate.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It would be nice to hear a general statement from the Council on what is happening and how they interpret it. Whatever happened to that Texrat fellow?
He's not on the current council and has been extremely busy mainly trying to take care of work and family obligations.

All else is gravy.

I would qualify this as a crisis situation and it is natural to expect some leadership from leaders. I'm glad it is being provided after what I perceived as an initial silence.
Answering for me only: I have not been privy to any council discussions since opting out of standing for this one. I also jumped too quickly when the original MeeGo announcement was made, so this time I'm doing some more reading and digesting before saying too much. However: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...1/meego-limbo/

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-02-13 at 03:04.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
can someone, elopcalypse, unplug him