Hello,

I bought Nokia N900 recently, and it is my first time with linux ever.
But it seems like there is a serious problem with the internal 32gb memory,

1. When i try to connect it to my laptop (win7 64bit) using mass storage i can see two removable devices in my computer but cannot access any of them, windows explorer says that i need to insert disc first..

2. I cannot save any file on the internal memory, cannot take any picture and save it to internal memory, but i can access the memory and see whats on it and copy FROM it

3. I flashed my firmware recently but there is no space available for applications to install, in settings->memory it says that i have about 30MB free right after flashing

4. I cannot flash the internal memory (vanilla, right?) using flasher-3.5 it stops on 20% without any error.

5. The phone itself is working fine, i can take pictures and save them on sd card, but it feels pointless to own that device and not being able to install any app or use that 32gb...

6.I don't know the lock code, and the previous owner seems to forgot it, i cannot recover it because of the unaccessible internal memory, so i cannot clear the device or format the internal memory.

now, anyone who actually knows anything about linux, maemo:

is there anything i can do to fix it?!? if resoldering the flash chip would fix it then i will do it, but i need to be sure before i do that.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Why not do a full flash (rootfs+emmc) and post the output here?

Reference wikipage

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Why not do a full flash (rootfs+emmc) and post the output here?

Reference wikipage
with what and how? I'm really sorry but I feel dumb if it goes to linux, like a baby..
If you could provide me with links i would be greatful!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
• (flashing the) FIASCO aka *COMBINED*, also referred to as "rootfs" though this file and flashing process also consists of / affects NOLO bootloader (the several stages), the kernel, and usually the GSM modem firmware, in addition to the root filesystem which is basically the content of your 240 MB NAND flash storage and implements the Linux operating system.
• (flashing the) eMMC aka *VANILLA*, which will replace the complete content of N900's internal 32 GB eMMC storage (embedded MMC), which is: the /home partition which has your stored browser passwords and game highscores and calendar and contacts etc. /home is also containing /opt. Plus eMMC stores all the content of the MyDocs 28 GB VFAT partition, where all the media and docs and other user content lives.
So you need to flash the COMBINED and VANILLA images...

Get the latest images from: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

Then flash depending on your OS as stated in the wiki...

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
Here is a quick & easy guide for flashing
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=868864&postcount=5

i really cant stop linking to that post, it really helped me with my first attempt to reflash

Good luck

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Originally Posted by sifo View Post
Here is a quick & easy guide for flashing
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=868864&postcount=5

i really cant stop linking to that post, it really helped me with my first attempt to reflash

Good luck

./sifo
oh, yes, I've done that, the rootfs flash goes nice and easy, no problems at all, but the vanilla image stops suddenly at 20% without any error or anything, the command line shows up and that is it.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Cape Town, South Africa
Hi

Ive had that exact same problem. I used the pr 1.2 too and that didnt work. Ive tried for a month...then finally got the guy who i bought the phone from. he gave me a step by step guide. I too had that vanilla firmware and it stopped at 20percent. i pulled it out. the next moment it showed like those old windows 95/98 buttons with weird writing i tried uploading the pr 1.2 again. pulled out the plug. then installed the latest one. pr 1.3 and bobs your uncle. it worked. if it doesnt flash it more than once...and it'll work. im no guru. all commands i know is sudo and exit lol. but once you do sort it out the phones a dream. goodluck.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I had it once too, I just can't remember but I tried the obvious solutions:
Other usb port/cable
Other PC
Redownloaded the image /checked the md5hash
Flash without battery / cold flash

Sorry I just can't remember what I did, but I can assure you, you are not doomed :P
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

OK, i just tried to reflash it again, sadly with no luck. i tried some different options in maemo flasher-3.5 but tbh i didn't know how to use them properly...

i tried to flash my n900 with combined image 1.11, 1.2 and 1.3 and first and the latest vanilla image, tried combinations and stuff. nothing worked. I'm starting to get sick of it right now. I never had a phone wich made me to work on it for so long, and i used to work in a phone repair centre... this is getting really annoying..

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
there has been lots of threads / posts complaining about problems with flashing on windoz 7 64-bit, so you may need to use another PC.

i flashed on windoz 32, and all what i needed is to keep connecting with the net because it was always searching for the drivers via "windoz update"

as for the forgotten lock code please read this thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808
you can get it easily
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7