I'm definitely not a chess player, however, I do know checkers...
Could you ask the developers to add an option to play "checkers", and maybe even an option to also play "4 in a row"

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
I am sorry that Miniature for the N900 was never finished. BUT! We're making good progress on MeeGo Harmattan now, and I also had a couple of test games @ freechess.org with the new Miniature.

Check http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4301 for the latest annoucement. Some of you may have noticed that the wiki @ http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature got a facelit, too.

Now that the UI is pure QML, perhaps it is not too hard to get it to work on the N900?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by mikhas View Post
Now that the UI is pure QML, perhaps it is not too hard to get it to work on the N900?
[Announce] Miniature chess for Maemo

Please post further comments in that new forum thread - and let's put this one into rest.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Very good starting point there is: PyChess . Most features already there, but needs FingerGUI.
GTK+ instead of QT, however :-)
Is it possible to install PyChess on Maemo 4?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
At the beginning of this thread, I asked for a chess game that can play games from chess books. Newcomers to this site will be surprised to find that I made this request literally years ago, and a decent way to do so was not achieved and the makers of Miniature essentially paid no attention to my repeated requests in this direction, and no decent chess display program was achieved for the N900. Well, a decent chess game display program has finally been achieved for the N9. You can actually play moves, take back moves, and examine variations. What an amazing thing.

The program is called Josemobile, or perhaps Jose mobile would work better on the Nokia Store where I found it a short while ago. It might have been discovered earlier by me if it had the word "chess" somewhere in its name!

It may have some flaws that I haven't yet discovered, but it at least satisfies the minimum request that I have been making over and over for years, and I chose this thread to commemorate this fantastic result because it boasts about a "killer" chess program to be developed, but of course "killer" did not include the ability to play moves from books and examine variations.

For those who follow world chess, you will probably be happy to learn that Vishy Anand recently successfully defended his chess World Championship title against Boris Gelfand, who I think might actually be better. Anand was defeated late in the short match after a bunch of draws, but surprisingly came back to win the very next game. The match of slow games ended in a tied result, and this automatically led to a series of fast games, which was won by Anand.

Unfortunately, this trend, of matches for World Chess Champion to end with fast games and thus the winner being the best speed player, is quite common these days, which almost feels like the players are throwing dice to decide who wins the championship. This is the sort of trend that worried Bobby Fischer when he was sane and alive.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Hello geneven,

i am the author of StandByMee - Chess which displays a randomly chosen chess position given by a FEN (Forsyth-Edwards-Notation) on the standby screen of the N9 using an included chess database consisting of more than 120.000 mate in #2 positions. Maybe this is of interest for you.

Though i am doing my first steps with development i can imagine to write a simple GUI for loading and displaying chess positions in future for analysis purposes. But before that i have to realize at least two other projects

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
... Well, a decent chess game display program has finally been achieved for the N9. You can actually play moves, take back moves, and examine variations. What an amazing thing.

The program is called Josemobile, or perhaps Jose mobile would work better on the Nokia Store where I found it a short while ago. It might have been discovered earlier by me if it had the word "chess" somewhere in its name!

It may have some flaws that I haven't yet discovered, but it at least satisfies the minimum request that I have been making over and over for years, and I chose this thread to commemorate this fantastic result because it boasts about a "killer" chess program to be developed, but of course "killer" did not include the ability to play moves from books and examine variations..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thank you for the tip! Downloading...

And it is open source: http://projects.developer.nokia.com/jose Very interesting. I will contact the developer to see whether we can have a common path forward with Miniature.

the makers of Miniature essentially paid no attention to my repeated requests in this direction
Nothing personal, just a matter of time. We haven't paid attention even to our own bugs and top priorities. We could say we dismissed you as much as we dismissed ourselves.

Summer is approaching again. Maybe I can scratch some time as I did last year... As usual, developer stepping in are welcome. Even if Miniature is lacking features it has a very good foundation to add to.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
i am the author of StandByMee - Chess which displays a randomly chosen chess position given by a FEN (Forsyth-Edwards-Notation) on the standby screen of the N9 using an included chess database consisting of more than 120.000 mate in #2 positions. Maybe this is of interest for you.
I saw it but then I felt lazy that day about dealing with deb packages alone. Are you considering to publish this to Nokia Store or apps.formeego.org? Are you aware of http://wiki.maemo.org/2012_Device_Program ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I saw it but then I felt lazy that day about dealing with deb packages alone. Are you considering to publish this to Nokia Store or apps.formeego.org? Are you aware of http://wiki.maemo.org/2012_Device_Program ?
I wrote StandByMee-Chess in Python and the code for displaying chess positions is really, really simple, also for an absolutely beginner like me Just uncompress the deb file and have a look at standbymee-chess.py.

Concerning the "killer" chess application i think its a very good idea to use the GPL'ed appplication josemobile. I like the UI very much and it should be possible to add a "Load" button in between "New" and "Settings" and the logic behind it.

Initially i really wanted to push myself by applying for Summer '12 Device Program / Community Awards. But i dont know if this is a good idea if i look at the submissions and the "big" names appearing there. I started about three months ago as someone told me something like "bull**** .. if you really want to realize your ideas you will find the spare time for it". So i started learning Python.

On the other hand as far as i know all standby screen applications need a modification of a certain system file. I dont know if its okay to handle this via preinstall / postinstall scripts. What happens if the application is installed and Nokia modifies this file thereafter with a PR update? Or when something goes wrong and the file is corrupted? Just excuses not to publish it there, i know, hehe I will find something different.

Last edited by BluesLee; 2012-05-31 at 20:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
… I made this request literally years ago, and a decent way to do so was not achieved and the makers of Miniature essentially paid no attention to my repeated requests in this direction, and no decent chess display program was achieved for the N900.
[ __ ] You understand how open-source works.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:

Tags
chess, development, game