Notices

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Hi there. Yeah, I know this is not as important as PR1.2 ;-)

I'd like to announce CasualServices 0.5. This is the first version that I think it's prepared for end-users, so I have promoted it to Extras-testing.

What is CasualServices?
CasualServices is an application for searching services, business and places. Get information about them and share this information with your contacts.

Most important features are:
  • Search services, and get information about them.
  • Two backends for realizing the searches: 11870.com and Google Local
  • Search near your position given by the N900 GPS.
  • Search in a specific locality.
  • Show the services that an user has saved at 11870.com
  • Show all services in a map to see its relative position.
  • Share information about a service to your friends (at the moment only Twitter).
  • Add information about a service to your Maemo 5 agenda.

How to install
Well, it's available in Extras-testing, so it needs to fulfil the QA process before to arrive to Extras.
If you're using Extras-testing or devel, then you will be able to install it from your application manager.

Don't forget to test it.

Known problems, and some coming features
  • 11870.com is a spanish based site, so they have many spanish information but few from other places, I added Google Local to alleviate this problem for international users, more services will come, like Yelp, etc.
  • If the GPS takes much time to get a fix, perhaps your localization is not perfectly correct in the searches. I mean it will use the previous GPS data, and not your actual position.
  • More ways to share the information about a service with your friends (Facebook, email, etc.)

Documentation
I wrote some documentation for the application. Improvements welcome ;-)

Translations
Right now, it's available in Spanish, and in my special English. You can translate CasualServices to your favourite language through transifex.net.

Acknowledgements
Special thanks to AndrewFBlack for the icon.

Also, thanks to the QA testers. I have fixed a couple of packaging problems thanks to them and the QA process. Obviously it's an important and necessary process, and I hope that the critics doesn't discourage this important group in the community.

Feedback very very welcome.
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the great app Daniel. This is a great app. iT crashes every now and then but it's quite useful. A couple of suggestions:

1) For the UI, I think it's better to change the flow and make the program default to search nearby. The "Search nearby me" button can be replaced by "Search location" and when toggled ask for the location to search. The program could have a "Setting" menu to store the radius info required by Search nearby me.

I modify the code locally and force the program to always search nearby. I find the usability better. I also make the radius a constant and find that Google local search is still able to return search result further away than the radius specified.

2) Is there a way to auto-center the map based on the user's position when opening the map in full-size?

3) I haven't checked the relating code (did the local mod on N900), but could you share why you limit the number of results displayed per page to 20? During testing, I find pressing the previous/next page buttons is prone to crash the app.

4) Please please add Yelp if you can. Another app, libellule, attempted that but seemed to be contacted by Yelp and dropped Yelp support.

Last edited by sony123; 2010-06-12 at 07:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Thanks for the great app Daniel. This is a great app. iT crashes every now and then but it's quite useful. A couple of suggestions:

1) For the UI, I think it's better to change the flow and make the program default to search nearby. The "Search nearby me" button can be replaced by "Search location" and when toggled ask for the location to search. The program could have a "Setting" menu to store the radius info required by Search nearby me.

I modify the code locally and force the program to always search nearby. I find the usability better. I also make the radius a constant and find that Google local search is still able to return search result further away than the radius specified.
Yes, it is planned to have "Search nearby me" feature as default. It is a popular request, and it makes sense.

The problem with Google Local is that the radius option did not work for some reason, and it is deactivated now, I mean CS does not pass the radius value to the API. I will have to look at this.

2) Is there a way to auto-center the map based on the user's position when opening the map in full-size?
Not yet. The algorithm tries to center the map at the average point between services, so it sometimes gives bad results. I need to improve this too.

Auto-center the map to the user position is an interesting idea. I will make sure to add it to the application.

3) I haven't checked the relating code (did the local mod on N900), but could you share why you limit the number of results displayed per page to 20? During testing, I find pressing the previous/next page buttons is prone to crash the app.
Well, it is for a network viewpoint. Before to show the results list, it downloads an image for every service (if it has), so if many services have images it will take much time before the results will be shown.

This could be fixed if it would show the results list first and then it would add the images to the list, or even not showing images in the results list.

Anyway, I will have to investigate the crashes.

4) Please please add Yelp if you can. Another app, libellule, attempted that but seemed to be contacted by Yelp and dropped Yelp support.
Yes, Yelp is planned for future releases. The conditions for using the API are a bit harsh, but we will see what can be done to support it.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

I am rewriting the application in Qt (Python), so I will take into account all the feedback received.

Thanks!

As a sidenote for the thread, some old news: CasualServices won the mobility prize in an universitary free software contest here in Spain. There were a hundred of projects registered in the contest.

(spanish link) http://concurso-softwarelibre.us.es/...software-libre

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Hi Daniel, Just dropped in to thank you for the app, I really like it One step closer to context aware searching.
I have one suggestion for now though; Would it be possible to link the found address to Ovi maps somehow, just like in Contacts? that would make this even more powerful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cisst For This Useful Post:
I like the app, but I live near the Washington DC area. Whenever I try to use this app the...

GPS seems to think I live in Spain, resulting in results near Spain.

If I use another app to force my GPS to the write place (say geolocation in PR 1.2) it still does the same thing.

Edit: A re-install fixed it. o.O

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-06-13 at 01:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I like the app, but I live near the Washington DC area. Whenever I try to use this app the...

GPS seems to think I live in Spain, resulting in results near Spain.

If I use another app to force my GPS to the write place (say geolocation in PR 1.2) it still does the same thing.
Did you see GPS icon flashing in status area when you search without other app accessing gps? As long as you select the search nearby option, you should see it...

If I remember correctly, the app search spain if you don't specify location or don't enable search nearby.

Last edited by sony123; 2010-06-12 at 14:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Yup, the GPS icon was flashing. It's an odd bug (I've also noticed that after I use casual services and it does this) Ovi Maps seems to also think I'm in Spain lol.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

This application makes me wish I had a data plan. I just might have to get one now. Great Job!

If I could make a suggestion:

If you could push the address to Sygic Mobile Maps or Ovi Maps (or even Mappero) that would be great!

Or maybe a one click to copy the address. That way you can paste it into Ovi or Mappero. Sygic sadly doesn't let you paste addresses in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: