Notices

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I want to start of by saying I'm not trying to cut anyone down and make anyone stop doing themes but I have seen a lot of themes released this week that are either just a default theme maker theme with a new background/icons or have a lot of bugs and not ready to be released. I'm just asking that new theme makers try to be creative with your work there are 4 new themes this week that are the same just the backgrounds are different.

Now on releasing themes. I suggest that you test and have most of your bugs our before you release a theme. Theme maker has a lot of bugs you have to go back and fix after you build you theme. Some of those are Conversation Colors, Portrait Lock Screen, RSS Applet, Ovi Applet. You should make sure all bugs are fixed before releasing your themes. Themes should also be optied to save room on rootfs.

I would also suggest that you package our themes up and put them on extras. I would suggest you any users that you do not download zip of a theme and install it to your device you are asking for trouble. If your scared of extras-devel then you should be even more scared of software that isn't in a package at all.

Just remember Quality over Quantity. Also I'm here if you have any Theming Questions. I didn't go into details how to fix all the bugs I listed but I'll work on a how to later.
I agree with you. But Im just wondering when will we see an easily usable them maker. I need to be able to see a preview of what Ive completed.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I don't work on Theme Maker but you will never be able to I would say Theme Maker is really just a side project an isn't updated that much. All it really does is builds the theme to preview it you need to put it on you phone.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I don't work on Theme Maker but you will never be able to I would say Theme Maker is really just a side project an isn't updated that much. All it really does is builds the theme to preview it you need to put it on you phone.
We need a better system though, better tools will mean more people will attempt to make themes, meaning more selection and better themes. Anybody know any developers that could start on a project like htis?

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
We need a better system though, better tools will mean more people will attempt to make themes, meaning more selection and better themes. Anybody know any developers that could start on a project like htis?
The kind of tool you are are talking about would be a massive undertaking it would be cool but I really don't see it happening. I would love to see it but really using the template shows you how everything will look.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Guys, i got my first exposure to theming on N900 and Theme Maker today while helping out a new theme maker. I did it because i liked the theme concept.

There are a couple things that are ok and a couple things that are not as members of the Maemo community.

First of all, copying and reusing a restricted theme that the creator has not specifically given a permissive license to is illegal and just rude. In cases where that is being done it should be brought up directly with the creator and also made known to moderators so they can remove links and discussion of the theme in question. On the flip side of this, if you design a new theme, consider making it available under a creative commons license that allows others to use it for their own creations. Also give credit where credit is due.

Second, take pride in your work. If your theme is worth sharing, it's worth sharing in a way that won't be destructive to other's devices. Use a proper tool such as Theme Maker to optify and handle installation and removal, or do it yourself if you are familiar with debian packages. Test it.

Third, don't let your lack of knowledge stop you from making a theme. Just be aware that you will need to get your work to a reasonable level of quality before you should be sharing it.

Fourth, when your theme is complete and tested to not cause problems, upload it to Extras-devel. To do that, you need to get a garage account and request an upload invitation. You also need specific files to give to the autobuilder.

Which brings me to the last point: Theme Maker is a great utility for the community. It may not be a completely automated tool, but it's a big step up from nothing. The developer is receptive to feedback and i recommend you use the tracker to report bugs or request reasonable improvements after you have fully tried it out. In the course of fixing up the theme today we found three separate issues to report that will make the app all that much better for the next themer. In discussing with him today the experience we had with it, he said he would add a button to click to pop out the files you need in order to upload to Extras-devel, so you can see that feedback can be very useful.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-12 at 02:54.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
The kind of tool you are are talking about would be a massive undertaking it would be cool but I really don't see it happening. I would love to see it but really using the template shows you how everything will look.
I slightly disagree they've got to show this thing some love like that of symbian if they want this to take off.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
@ruskie

Only the Green theme with theme maker is CC
Have you actually read the copyright notices in Digital Nature? Clearely states it's Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 license.

:)
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Conversations color issues were fixed in 1.2.8 yesterday. I'll be fixing the rss issues today or tomorrow. The transitions theming will also be added this week if nothing goes sour.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
-snippety snip-

Last edited by joppu; 2010-01-13 at 18:37.