a warning to all n900 buyers-before maemo 5 -which is the software on the n900 there was maemo 4 and the internet tablets n810 n800 and going back further the n770

one of the main selling points of the tablets was the gps function-wayfinder provided the maps but then last month wayfinder was closed down by vodafone and suddenly with no prior warning to tablet owners gps does not work-no support

their is a lesson here and it is simple one -there is no guarantee that nokia will stand by its products-

before you go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a product with maemo os -such as the n900 or the internet tablets bare in mind that the same thing can happen to you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ovi Maps on the N900 is total ****, anyway. I don't think there would be many that would shed a tear if it were to suddenly stop working...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I don't think many will use Ovi Maps on the N900, at least not in the current state. Maybe it will be improved in PR1.2?

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Ovi Maps on the N900 is total ****, anyway. I don't think there would be many that would shed a tear if it were to suddenly stop working...
lets stick to the original problem

maps not working on the n810

The Following User Says Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post:
a little confused... i am pretty sure that wayfinder not working anymore does not mean that the gps doesn't work. especially since the gps is not some 3rd party add on application. its built into the phone. right?

I got sygic and it works on my n900. that kinda means the gps works. unless vodaphone locked your tablet and disabled some of your features ie: gps i don't see how the gps is not working just because way finder isn't. cant you jhust get another way finder for yoru tablet?

curious about your original problem.. are you trying to fix vodaphone not offering way finder?

if so whats your angle of attact because my comcast cable acts up all the time and i would love to be able to fix that. PLUS.. my government here seems to be broke. i would like to fix that also. I guess what i am saying is how can you a end user persuade a whole company to do your bidding? i think a feasible solution is to simply get another nav application. prob solved

just out of curiousity... is way finder a nokia application? or some other 3rd party deal?

Last edited by andraeseus1; 2010-04-18 at 01:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
a warning to all n900 buyers-before maemo 5 -which is the software on the n900 there was maemo 4 and the internet tablets n810 n800 and going back further the n770

one of the main selling points of the tablets was the gps function-wayfinder provided the maps but then last month wayfinder was closed down by vodafone and suddenly with no prior warning to tablet owners gps does not work-no support

their is a lesson here and it is simple one -there is no guarantee that nokia will stand by its products-

before you go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a product with maemo os -such as the n900 or the internet tablets bare in mind that the same thing can happen to you
Got to agree on this one because Nokia has not made any statement whatsoever direct to us regarding the future of the N900, everything said on this forum is pure speculation at the moment, Nokia not giving out anything to us owners of the N900 is a sure sign of them dumping us altogether. IF they do then it can only come under the law of false advertising surely ?
Starting to get very serious now.

What false advertising?

Could the OP elaborate what exactly the problem with the maps-app on N810 is?
IIRC the Maps are all stored on the device and GPS is monodirectional, so i don't see how the shutting down of wayfinder could should render the already installed maps useless?

I don't know why people say ovi maps is ****, I use it to get places.

Then again I wasn't spoiled by google maps like most of you probably were.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lazarpandar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I would just use another program.. can't see a problem here.

Tags
enough., fanbois, fightinfanbois, fud, opinion=fanboi, trolling, whydoievenreply