Active Topics

Damn! Now I'm leaning toward the Moto Milestone 2 but have just read about the Motorola Atrix which is coming out in July. That one sounds very interesting...

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
It really does seem like no manufacturer wants to put all the best stuff on one device. Are they scared people will buy it or something, Is it perhaps they think people wont buy their next device for so long because it woulld be so good, thereby cutting their profits?
Hi Flattop

I think you may just have hit the nail on the head there buddy!
I used to upgrade every year but had the N900 15 months now and will definitely keep it for at least another year. Therefore, mine has saved me money and cost them a regular upgrader.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
yeah. It's like with wahing machines. When your granny got one at age 20 or whatever, she might still have had it when you were born. Now though, washing machines only last 5 years max on average. They are designed to only last that long to make people keep buying a new one every few years, otherwise they wouldn't be any point making them in the first place. It's just not profitable to make the perfect machine, sell it once to a lot of people, who then never need to buy a replacement so the company then goes bust.

Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post
Damn! Now I'm leaning toward the Moto Milestone 2 but have just read about the Motorola Atrix which is coming out in July. That one sounds very interesting...
Beware that if you go Motorola, you won't be able to use any mods that require a new kernel, or offer new kernel features. This includes anything that offers an upgrade to the latest and greatest version of Android.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Beware that if you go Motorola, you won't be able to use any mods that require a new kernel, or offer new kernel features. This includes anything that offers an upgrade to the latest and greatest version of Android.
Good point! Back to the HTC Desire Z then (which is a shame as the Moto Milestone 2 specs look better).

maybe I really just need to stick with the N900 for a bit longer and wait for a dual core phone... hopefully something decent with a keyboard on Meego is still in the works.

The Following User Says Thank You to BillyTheFish For This Useful Post:
Go with the Desire Z/ T-Mobile G2. I have an ongoing comparison going on between that and the N810 here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68800

BTW, my wife has the Global Droid 2. It functions very much like the G2, is waaaaay more durable, but seems to crash at the most random times. (For example, we have to remove the battery sometimes to reset it.)

Last edited by hordeman; 2011-02-10 at 18:44.

the Z keyboard suckx - it does not close properly and "flops" with the phone

try it physically for yourself and you will see what I mean, the keyboard i not a slide out like the n900 but is like a flip thing - really stupid as it is not really secure and feels REALLY flimsy to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Liverpool, England
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
the Z keyboard suckx - it does not close properly and "flops" with the phone

try it physically for yourself and you will see what I mean, the keyboard i not a slide out like the n900 but is like a flip thing - really stupid as it is not really secure and feels REALLY flimsy to me.
the z is diabolical i broke my upgrade 2 days in, it actually came of the pisspoor hinges so i got it fixed and sold it on ebay im gonna keep the money ready for something that actually might be an upgrade

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post

The things I need are:
Keyboard - I'm not fond of touchscreen typing
Large screen - as big as the N900 or better
Good camera with flash - as good as N900 or better
Gmail and Google Calendar compatibility
As fast as possible without having worse battery life than the N900
FM Radio
GSM Arena has a great advanced search tool. Put in all the specs and it filters it down for you.

http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

The Motorola Milestone/Droid 2 is probably the best choice.
Just as others have said, they lock the boot loader so its harder to install a modded version of Android.
However, with a 1Ghz CPU, you may not need to mod much.
Just that you may be waiting a long time for Android 2.3 or whatever is next.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
changed my mind.

Last edited by maluka; 2011-02-11 at 16:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada blows, bada rox