Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
I just read the extra's feature isn't enabled and this could be one of the problems of why widgets and such aren't working properly.

Can someone post on how to enable it?

I've looked through the downloaded manual and for some ******ed reason Nokia failed to list it, just like they have with all the shortcuts for the phone.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark
I've just tried to wikify the shortcuts and gestures at http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures based both on this thread and from various links.
Could someone please correct/merge the E-mail client and Conversations section, if they are the same?
Please feel free to add to it/correct it, in the spirit of wiki

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bitcrusher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
bitcrusher,i will have to print that when i get my N900 as a quick reminder. Btw thanks!

If your N900 is bricked and battery is dead, you cant reflash OR CHARGE BATTERY: You must get another charged battery or external charger
That's horrendous!
So basically, that's like having a jailbroken iPhone with the new baseband, NEVER LET THE PHONE DRAINED
I don't want that..

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
If your N900 is bricked and battery is dead, you cant reflash OR CHARGE BATTERY: You must get another charged battery or external charger
So if a firmware update has failed and your battery is flat, you can't switch the phone on to reflash it? How is this news exactly? Do you expect the N900 to suddenly acquire some sort of energy transfer capability all by itself?

Both of the N-series handsets that I've owned (N93 and N95 8GB) plus the N97 (which I spent 10 minutes playing with) will not allow you to carry out a firmware update on battery power alone.

Besides which, the box that your N900 comes in includes an external charger, yes?

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're trying to say, but isn't this just a one to file in the "No s**t, Sherlock" drawer?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhilE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by PhilE View Post

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're trying to say, but isn't this just a one to file in the "No s**t, Sherlock" drawer?
I think you did misunderstand him.

If the root fs is filled and the phone basically won't boot because root is full and the battery has run down so you can't charge the battery.

So you have two problems, the root is full, you need to clear out so me of root so the OS will run, but you can't boot because maybe you had just bad luck and have a run down batt at the same time.

This is a problem, because having a process go rogue on you and fill up /var with a zillion messages happens. This fills up root and locks the file system. If this happens while you're snoozing and your batt runs down, ohh well...

If this can happen, I would put this in the "Real Bad" category.

That's how I interpreted "Bricked". It's been mentioned that if you fill root, your phone gets bricked.

Last edited by les_garten; 2009-11-25 at 02:12.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
is it safe to delete the debs in /var/cache/apt/archives? I could free up 20MB doing so.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Reflow = Ctrl + Shift + i

-Socrates 469 BC

The Following User Says Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark
kopte3, my pleasure Recently, in relations to my work, where I created a wiki for all our internal info/knowledge, I found out I really like Wikis I also made an N900 accessories wiki entry not long ago http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessories

The Following User Says Thank You to bitcrusher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
is it safe to delete the debs in /var/cache/apt/archives? I could free up 20MB doing so.
Yes. The following command (from the root prompt) will also clean the archives:
Code:
apt-get clean

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, tip, tips, tips and tricks, trick, tricks