Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
For Mac OS X users, one handy way to maximize FBReader's HTML reading capabilities is to save a Web page you'd like to read later (ie. a long article's PRINT view) as a Web Archive. Drag this into the N770's RCMMC card via USB and then the Web Archive will show up as a folder on the N770. Then open the enclosed .html file and the page will be readable in FBReader WITH images embedded in the proper place. Excellent for off line reading.

Dave

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by ttpcomp
I downloaded same free ebooks in the .htm format and then over to my 770.

Thanks to Bill and the link: http://www.gutenberg.org/
When I get a book from Project Gutenberg, I usually download it in the plucker format, which PG now offers as an option. I find the chapter divisions and formatting are usually handled better in the plucker version.

If this format has been generated before, it's an immediate download. If you're the first, then you have to wait a half-minute while a pdb file is generated on-the-fly. Sometimes this process suggests an odd name for the file, or a name that ends in php (like a web page). Just give it the name you want, with that pdb extension.

OTOH, you can download the text or html version in a zip archive, and FBReader will read that file without your having to unzip it. And you can put a whole bunch of files into the zip if you want (have to add each one separately to your FBReader library, of course).

BTW, lots of ebooks have the extension pdb, but only some of them are Plucker format. Something to do with original Palm database format?

Also BTW, I've never encountered a book in FB2 format either, except when I went to a Russian site just so I could find one. To me, FBReader is a plucker/html/text reader.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
Originally Posted by RogerS
BTW, lots of ebooks have the extension pdb, but only some of them are Plucker format. Something to do with original Palm database format?
Yes, I used to develop software for PalmOS. All Palm applications have the extension *.prc and all Palm data files have the extension *.pdb (for Palm DataBase).

Inside the file itself is the codes identifying the file type. I don't know what Plucker files are, but Palm DOC files have a creator of TEXt and a filetype of REAd. You can see this if you open the *pdb file on your main computer using a hex editor and examine the it starting at byte number 61.