Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
After laying idle for about 20 minutes, my N900 refused to wake up. The keyboard and display backlight lit up, but nothing appeared on the display. As far as I know, I had one browser window open, maybe two. Other than that, nothing else. The last thing I know, I stopped a Timeshop alarm and closed the app, then put the device on the shelf.

Always reluctant to do a hard reset, I logged in via SSH and ran top. Right on the top were [sqx_mixer] at 83.2% and /usr/sbin/browserd at 15.4%. Killing sqx_mixer (by PID) did not work - it was there when I ran top again, with the same PID. Killing browserd had only the effect of boosting [sqx_mixer] to 98%.

I finally got my phone back by rebooting in SSH. After the reboot, sqx_mixer did not appear in the ps output. But I would still like to know what it is. find / -iname *sqx* yielded nothing. Nor did a TMO search for sqx_mixer or sqx. Duckduckgo search yielded some water mixers and a lot of variations on sex and mixer.

So what is it? I know about the SQX abbreviation, but it does not seem to fit.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@pichlo,

It's SGX not SQX. sgx_mixer is AFAIK part of the PowerVR graphics driver.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I think you ran into this threaded here.
Thanks to reinob for pointing me into right remembering. I ran once into the same/similar and could not solve it So I thought of HW problems and defect of my beloved (now due to 'no telephony functions' gone) one. But it cured itself somehow, do not remember anymore how (really sorry ).
Did you try full power cycle (sometimes cures weird HW behaviour really!
Good luck (worst case scenario: reflash but ... )

--
Or maybe have a look here (in case of adblock installed which gave me also headaches with CUP server administration site: 'add printer' )

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-01-02 at 21:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Hmm, thanks both of you. I could have sworn I checked it several times but a half blind old fart as I am, I cannot 100% guarantee that I did not mix up q and g. It has rolled off my ash history since then so can't even verify. I will just have to wait until it happens again. But I am absolutely sure it was s?x_mixer and not s?x_misr.

No full power cycle. It was only the UI not responding, SSH worked fine. So I just rebooted by typing 'reboot' in the SSH CLI. After the reboot, everything worked fine again.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Sdl_mixer comes also to my mind. It's used by some games but I dont see how you could mix up sdl with sqx :P