Has anyone found a better way for dealing with the | character? I hate having to hit Chr and then tapping the screen. Can I maybe remap the yen symbol (Fn+Z) to be |?

try an upstroke on the ! key

If you are talking about xterm, this has been discussed before. Search.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Get the xterm menu Tools/Settings, press 'Toolbar shortcut', press 'New' then for the title enter 'Bar' or whatever you want and for the value enter 'bar'. Press 'Ok' and then 'Close' Now you have a shortcut to type a bar whenever you want it.

I edited the virtual keyboard to replace a character i used less frequently with the pipe...slightly more complicated way of going about it, but very convenient now!

The Following User Says Thank You to averyml For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I have an N810 and have pipe set to fn-shift-backspace, since it's close to there on a normal keyboard. (I set fn-backspace to delete, yen to tab, euro and pound to curly brackets... fn-shift j( and k) to straight brackets, fn-< and fn-> to page up and down... maybe others?) It's easy to do using xmodmap.

I kept meaning to remap chr to something else, but never got around to it -- with those changes, I don't know what I'd change it to. (Alt? Some other key I can use in combination with letters for special characters?)

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
xmodmap is an ugly hack to do this

instead just edit
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-44.

make your keyboard do anything you want

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
ArnimS, thanks for the tip. I edited that file and changed the word 'yen' to 'tab'. But now when I press Fn+Z (which is where the yen symbol is on a US N810), I simply get 'z'. Same results with changing 'EuroSign' to 'tab'. I verified syntax and rebooted. Any suggestions?

hello? anyone?

ArnimS? You still around? :*)