i guess there are theoretically 10 million numbers possible in XXXXXXX so this might last for quite a while for google.

10million minus whatever is already in use in montana(about 1 million population) and minus specific unalllowed exchanges like 911XXXX etc.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
I'm not sure if I understand if there is a way to send a SMS message to a phone from my N800 using the new Google service.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
This is the format that google SMS uses +15555555555@sms.talk.google.com where 555 represents the mobile number this will send a sms to that phone.

I agree that there will be problems monetizing this solution properly, perhaps if google charges a flat rate of $10 or $20 a month for unlimited calling and SMS via grandcentral tied into your google account.
That way you could get your own mobile solution be it a MID, RX-51 or a netbook pair it with whatever flavor of IP connectivity wifi/wimax/hsdpa+ and use it as a mobile communication device.

I would pay for this in a heartbeat.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nice... and just recently I was saying there's a probable market for an SMS-only service...

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i think ill just stick to using the email sms/mms addresses for the different carriers...may just be having a blond moment, but if i want to send a sms from the built in chat client using gtalk, what do i enter?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So I now know that only a real US mobile phone seems to work (tried to another person's Google SMS number, and to my GrandCentral number). Still would like to try getting that SMS number, so anyone with a US mobile phone willing to help me out?

anyone with a US mobile phone willing to help me out?
I PMed you my US mobile phone number if you still need. \

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, no dice with Skype. I tried to use the Google SMS number (that quipper8 told me that I was using when I texted his number) with Skype, and Skype charged me for the message, but nothing came through to my GMail / chat account.

Tags
free, gchat, google, sms