Active Topics

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
It all sounds good and well, the only reason I got into this whole thing was Nokia made the first internet tablet and I was born wanting to surf the net on Sunday morning from my internet t tablet (as my palm or laptop didn't cut it)

What got me existed with maemo as a Linux newbie, who has no programming experience, was the fact that Linux enthusiasts had ported programs to do everything I could think of. My maemo device is now used to remote desktop into my office or home over a secure SSH connection. Imbedded Linux has offend a solution that allows me to run may computers turn them on and off remotely reducing my energy footprint and meeting greater eco mandates The practical implantation of VOIP solutions have made it almost indispensable. (I can now envision retirement with technology at my call without the comprehensive monthly cell phone plan and all the other web 2.0 services amortised over 15 year. )

All the custom solutions I have implemented are built on experience Debian related enthusiasts have brought to the table - this transfer of knowledge is progress.

All in all the existing Linux community with the help of Nokia's maemo have delivered on what I believe is "progress" enabling a paradigm sift in evolution of technology.

I don't know what MeeGo will brings to the table but I fear it looks something more like iPhone OS, Android or Palms's WebOS that enables a business model that are not progress or consumer centric .

None of the resulting Linux based OS's above have been able to deliver what maemo has done and I believe it has only happened because of the community support and existing experience.

Dumping the community's experience, paralyses my need and cripples progress. If I could give my $0.02 Nokia should have played out the experiment before cashing in on a tangible business opportunity.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
oh come on.... they didn't exactly re-invent the wheel, did they?
More like threw the wheel away.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
It all sounds good and well, the only reason I got into this whole thing was Nokia made the first internet tablet and I was born wanting to surf the net on Sunday morning from my internet t tablet (as my palm or laptop didn't cut it)

What got me existed with maemo as a Linux newbie, who has no programming experience, was the fact that Linux enthusiasts had ported programs to do everything I could think of. My maemo device is now used to remote desktop into my office or home over a secure SSH connection. Imbedded Linux has offend a solution that allows me to run may computers turn them on and off remotely reducing my energy footprint and meeting greater eco mandates The practical implantation of VOIP solutions have made it almost indispensable. (I can now envision retirement with technology at my call without the comprehensive monthly cell phone plan and all the other web 2.0 services amortised over 15 year. )

All the custom solutions I have implemented are built on experience Debian related enthusiasts have brought to the table - this transfer of knowledge is progress.

All in all the existing Linux community with the help of Nokia's maemo have delivered on what I believe is "progress" enabling a paradigm sift in evolution of technology.

I don't know what MeeGo will brings to the table but I fear it looks something more like iPhone OS, Android or Palms's WebOS that enables a business model that are not progress or consumer centric .

None of the resulting Linux based OS's above have been able to deliver what maemo has done and I believe it has only happened because of the community support and existing experience.

Dumping the community's experience, paralyses my need and cripples progress. If I could give my $0.02 Nokia should have played out the experiment before cashing in on a tangible business opportunity.
I think your concerns are certainly valid. MeeGo is certainly unproven. There is a a high degree of difficulty in making a distro that appeals to the techy community. But, from what I have seen, both Nokia and Intel whant to do 'the right thing'. Also, the existing mailing lists show that MeeGo is willing to listen and discuss these issues. I have a good feeling about it so far.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
...they walked out on the current game...
...teamed up with another club to create a new one with a crappy name...
...and left the audience standing, holding flags with the old team's name, with no one to cheer on...

... well ok, not really, we're waiting to be moved to the new stadium and see how the new game will play out.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Excuse me guys: what are you talking about?

Intel and Nokia have proven good knowledge of Linux and free desktop develolpment. Look the code repositories and ask the maintainers if you don't trust this.

Moblin and Maemo have very similar software stacks. MeeGo is about picking what is already common and agreeing on the resolution of the diffs.

So from a technical point of view this is not a new game at all. It's a pure natural evolution. We would have taken the MeeGo OS with handset UX, we would have called it "Maemo 6 platform" and the majority of talk.maemo.org would have continued with whatever they were discussing without noticing the change.

The new ballgame comes from the business side: a neutral Linux mobile distro hosted by the Linux Foundation and open to all vendors.

Why an N900 user thinks that s/he is loosing something with MeeGo is beyond rational thinking. Sure, the unclarity about MeeGo being officially supported in the N900 invites such reactions beyond rationality. But that uncertainty (that no, we can't solve here and now) was already with Maemo 6 in the horizon. MeeGo brings more application developement attention sooner to the N900 and brings also a more solid platform able to deal with several types of devices.

So really, whatever N900 users had last week has improved significantly with the launch of MeeGo. If you think this is not true please explain why.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Jim Zemlin from the Linux Foundation is surely a good reading to understand the kind of ballgame MeeGo is: http://www.linux.com/news/featured-b...ux-with-meego-

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Excuse me guys: what are you talking about?
(...)
Why an N900 user thinks that s/he is loosing something with MeeGo is beyond rational thinking.
Quim, there is nothing irrational about this at all. Technical issues, indeed, are irrelevant.

What we are seeing here is a bunch of people who feel they have invested their time and/or trust and/or work, over the past few months or years, in a community project that had a clear brand, roadmap and stewardship, and was starting to take shape after a lot of effort (including yours).

Now, all of a sudden, it looks like all three (brand, roadmap and stewardship) have been discarded overnight in favour of the Intel/Nokia partnership, which clearly has huge potential on several fronts, but also has precious little in the way of community scaffolding and guidelines. It definitely feels like starting all over again : the "culture" shock between maemo and moblin already happening over at meego.com reeks of déjà vu, like when ITT was folded into maemo.org not so long ago.

This thread and its siblings are just the aimless milling around of people with questions and no answers: people who felt they "fit in" maemo.org, and need to know if/how/when they might "fit in" meego.com and not let their previous involvement be wasted. Simple as that.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
You do realise that as a community we will have more control over MeeGo?

Eventually it will mean anyone can get involved in the development of the platform and not rely in a single entity to continue it's development in the future.

Maemo is begining to "grow up" and experience growing pains now. Hopefully soon things will get easier.

Let's give this a chance and see what happens. The more we can participate in a positive way the more we can shape the platform to serve us as well as commercial entities.

It will mean a more openly developed platform which means older devices will be able to take advantage of this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
This thread and its siblings are just the aimless milling around of people with questions and no answers: people who felt they "fit in" maemo.org, and need to know if/how/when they might "fit in" meego.com and not let their previous involvement be wasted. Simple as that.
So, may I offer you an aim? Come and help form MeeGo, propose to have the same (or better) Talk, give your opinion on the look and structure of the MeeGo homepage, sign up for the Community workgroup (http://wiki.meego.com/Proposal_for_a..._working_group)

You can make sure that meego is a new, improved home for all of us, but contributing yourself

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
So, may I offer you an aim? Come and help form MeeGo, propose to have the same (or better) Talk, give your opinion on the look and structure of the MeeGo homepage, sign up for the Community workgroup (http://wiki.meego.com/Proposal_for_a..._working_group)

You can make sure that meego is a new, improved home for all of us, but contributing yourself
True, but the sooner we get a good forum for talking at MeegGo.com the better. Not all of us are terribly comfortable with either mailing lists or IRC. There has already been some complaints about #meego chats. If there were some sort of forum/board/talk-place, I think people would be there instead of here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: