Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I don't know which forum software to recommend, but I definitely don't think you should just rename talk.maemo.org to something on meego.com. MeeGo is only relevant from the next device onwards, so users of older tablets (and N900, arguably), shouldn't be "absorbed" by meego.com.

Yes, it would be a shame that meego.com wouldn't instantly gain a community, and people will have to separately register, but I don't think moving this forum to meego.com is as uncontroversial a decision as it was when this was moved from internettabletalk.com.
Except that, assuming the mentioned Maemo5/Maemo6 compatibility comes to pass, then there will be "MeeGo" apps being discussed on the MeeGo site that install and run just fine on our Maemo5 N900 devices, so we discuss those apps on t.m.o as well? Same app, two discussions, two communities?

At some point existing N900 (ie. t.m.o. members) may be interested to learn about any MeeGo ports to N900 - where will those discussions take place, meego.com or t.m.o.? Probably the former, so the t.m.o. members need to be registered and visiting both forums to remain up to date on the latest developments.

It may not be ideal to begin with, but repositioning t.m.o. as the MeeGo forum is possibly the easiest/quickest solution with the least aggravation for the 30,000 members. Rearrange the t.m.o forums a bit, create some new MeeGo forums and bobs your uncle.

Or leave t.m.o. here as it stands today, and everyone interested in the future of Maemo/Moblin/MeeGo will go there. United we stand, divided...

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
My vote is on:
* migrating the 34,000 members in an opt-in way [Editet after Milhouse's post]
* starting clean (empty forums)
* starting w single sign-on

Additional thoughts:
* timeline: between yesterday and publish of MeeGo sources (this being the proper milestone for starting karma whoring and a good homepage which appeals to end-users and device manufacturers) I think at that time there could be a new peak in interest (the meego story producing the first real, touchable output), so better be ready by then.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Last edited by RenegadeFanboy; 2010-02-18 at 16:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
The problem with this discussion is that since this in maemo.org there is no input from the Moblin community. Even though, if I've understood correctly, they don't have a forum, it would be good to find out what are their expectations and desires for the MeeGo forum.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I see some value in bringing this forum over intact, or just renaming it, but I still lean toward starting a new forum from scratch even if it simply replicates the structure of this one (but with no legacy posts).

For one, I think it would be a good idea to let Maemo stuff run its natural course in its own forum. For another, we're blending communities and if we bring this forum in with its tremdous legacy of posts, it could look like "those Maemo folks" are swarming in en masse. That could be intimidating.

I'd rather start the forum fresh with all on equal footing. The forum is not the community.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It may not be ideal to begin with, but repositioning t.m.o. as the MeeGo forum is possibly the easiest/quickest solution with the least aggravation for the 30,000 members.
On second thought, migrating the 30,000 members and providing a continuing path should be our first priority.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I have stopped actively participating in talk.maemo for the last few months (I was one of those who got scared away by all the new N900 owners) but as this seems to be the thread to discuss this in I will address my concerns here.

I own an N800, N810 and N900 and have been part of these forums for a few years. Please for the love of your deity have a more active moderation panel in the new forum. Moderators who will actually ban users/trolls and delete offensive posts and merge duplicate postings. ITT/T.M.O was the best forum I had ever been part of, I learned something new everyday from the posters. This was when it was still small and there was respect amongst posters. As it grew with the announcement of the N900, the noise to information ratio plummeted and I would literally get a headache from reading some of the posts. At the end of November I stopped reading it vowing never to return. Purchase of an N900 and the meego.com announcement has brought me back here and I see that nothing has changed really and that its simply gotten worse.

There is nothing wrong with active moderation it keeps the forum useful and will help maintain a good balance between endusers who want to bs with each other, commercial developers who want to make money and advanced hacker types who want to tinker. As this community morphs into something much bigger than it was before there should be an emphasis put upon how the community should develop. I believe this includes encouraging and discouraging certain behavior. Anyway don't have much else to say I am excited to see what comes of this merger, I have registered already at meego.com and hope to see many of you over there in the new forums whenever they come.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
(but with no legacy posts).
What's the harm with having the "legacy" posts to start with? Several vBulletin sites I've used in the past have archived old posts (eg. TiVo Community which has done this twice). Perhaps once MeeGo launches "for real" an archive could be created of the very old Maemo posts?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
For one, I think it would be a good idea to let Maemo stuff run its natural course in its own forum.
From what I understand, Maemo5 will become compatible with MeeGo (to a large extent, at least at API level) which will blur the line between "Maemo stuff" and "MeeGo stuff" - this could be a good thing, it just needs to be managed appropriately. As time progresses, the "Maemo Stuff" will most likely reduce, as has happened with the 770, then N8x0 discussions here.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-02-18 at 16:14.

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
There is nothing wrong with active moderation it keeps the forum useful and will help maintain a good balance between endusers who want to bs with each other, commercial developers who want to make money and advanced hacker types who want to tinker. As this community morphs into something much bigger than it was before there should be an emphasis put upon how the community should develop. I believe this includes encouraging and discouraging certain behavior. Anyway don't have much else to say I am excited to see what comes of this merger, I have registered already at meego.com and hope to see many of you over there in the new forums whenever they come.
I couldn't agree more with this. Perhaps there should be a complaints/rants section where all the "noisy" post could be moved and people who actually want to read something useful could simply avoid those sections.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
What's the harm with having the "legacy" posts to start with? Several vBulletin sites I've used in the past have archived old posts (eg. TiVo Community which has done this twice). Perhaps once MeeGo launches "for real" an archive could be created of the very old Maemo posts?
I did acknowledge that I see value in what you advocate Milhouse. My gut instincts are just suggesting in this case it would be better to start fresh.

EDIT: I'm trying to view this also from a Moblin perspective. Maybe assuming too much, but I just know I'd feel in their shoes to have this avalanche dumped on me...

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-02-18 at 18:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
The problem with this discussion is that since this in maemo.org there is no input from the Moblin community. Even though, if I've understood correctly, they don't have a forum, it would be good to find out what are their expectations and desires for the MeeGo forum.
I assume from the suffix to this thread name (maemo.org round), that Quim has also posted something similar to the Moblin community. It would be good if he, or someone, could link to that discussion here, so we can see what they think.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego