Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I have used it for a while and its working very well. Read edit end create. I have not used alll the advanced features. Played around with docs and ppt. Great app.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
If you have any specific questions post them and I'll try to answer.
@Pigro Did you try sip calls on Note?

Originally Posted by rajil.s View Post
@Pigro Did you try sip calls on Note?
No, I don't have a sip account. I have Skype but I haven't tried it yet other than for a quick call to the echo test service. Planning to try Skype video tomorrow.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@mscion:
Polaris is nice but has drawbacks. It does not open several doc files I was able to open with Thinkfree office (bundled with the Galaxy Tab), but when opens a file, shows it in the same graphical format it was intended, while Thinkfree shows kind of a text version.

One problem of Polaris is that when a doc document has an email address (which Word or similar programs tend to automagically transform in a mailto: link), it truncates the document parsing. Unbelievable and quite disturbing.

Presentations seem to open nicely. I haven't edited one yet.

I dearly hope in libreoffice for android, which has been announced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Skype performance (video call over my home LAN to a win7 laptop with video quality set to high) was really excellent. used about 15% CPU on the note for the video chat, so it was still very responsive, I could mess around on the web and email etc. concurrently no bother at all.

I also tried it with the note & N900, video call worked fine too (at both ends).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
After 2 years with my N900 I decided it was time for a change, there are areas that the N900 is showing it's age. My bitter disappointment with Nokia abandoning NIT/Maemo/MeeGo meant I started looking for alternatives, none really existed, which meant compromising and going with an N9, until I saw the Note. From a pure hardware perspective it looked a too good a device to pass up on, I don't like the idea of multiple devices, i.e. tablet, smart phone etc. I done some reading on Android and looked into some reviews of the Note, and decided to bite the bullet, my initial thoughts below:

• The display is simply stunning, the sheer size, HD display, contrast, black levels, sharpness are outstanding. Concerns about the Pentile display can be disregarded, I don't care what the pixels look like magnified 50 times over or the science behind it, real world viewing is what counts, and it is brilliant. My personal opinion is that this is the best display on a mobile device, including Apple's Retina display. That said there are two issues that I've noticed, white pages on a browser keep changing shades, very strange, doesn't really happen on anything else for me, as I'm convinced it's a software issue, I'm not too bothered at present. Due to how good the screen is unfortunately standard definition or low bit rate content can look very poor, especially blacks, which will have blocky artifacts and washed out greys, but the HD demo video that comes with the device proves it is an issue with the content not display.
  • The display translates into unparalleled web browsing, the stock Samsung browser is GPU accelerated, Flash heavy web pages open up very very fast and without any issues, I've never seen Flash working so flawlessly on a portable device! Browsing the web is epic on the Note, it's made even better with the Opera browser that has perfect text re-flow, on demand Flash, intelligent link handling. The Note was made for the web
  • The S-Pen can be used anywhere, it works well without any lag. The applications like S-Memo are a little basic at the moment, but with Samsung releasing the API already, I'm sure developers will come up with some great applications. It has the potential to replace a notebook, just needs the right software. The only two issues I've found with the S-Pen are that it doesn't start exactly from the tip when you start drawing, but slightly above the tip, nothing that can't be fixed. Also if you lean with your hand on the screen it may register as input!
  • The 8MP camera and 1080p HD recording are great, nothing much more to be said here.
  • The navigation deserves a very special mention, the device's chip set supports both GPS and GLONASS (Russian alternative), and hand's down it's the best navigation implementation I've seen from a mobile device, I can easily get a lock within seconds from indoors sitting away from a window. Again the screen size and pixel density means viewing maps on this is simply excellent and an unmatched experience. I believe the Note can replace dedicated Sat Nav device without any problem.
  • It's got Polaris Office installed by default, had no problems opening Word documents, installed Adobe Reader to read the PDF manual, with over 100 pages, zips through that without any problems.
  • It's a really nice size to be a e-book reader or Kindle replacement. Using something like FBReader with Night Mode means the text is white and background is black, as the AMOLED screen switches off the LED pixels for black colour, what this means is eye strain is greatly reduced for a backlit display, making it I think the next best thing to an E-Ink display for reading.
  • Another area where the display truly shines is gaming, I've got one or two on here and all I can say is that the Note has the potential to be best in class for gaming!
  • Battery life is important to me, as it's the one big thing that my N900 lacks. Coming from the N900 I was really impressed, after about 3 discharge cycles I can get 5/6 hours of web browsing with the screen on before low battery (10%), I think that's quite a feat given the display it has to power. Bear in mind that I don't have a SIM card in it at the moment and I am running it in Flight Mode with Wi-Fi turned on.
  • I'll make it clear now, Android is no Maemo, and I am struggling with it despite all the favourable points above. Multi-tasking, if you can call it that, is rubbish, nothing beats Maemo for real multi-tasking and Shortcutd on the N900 for task switching. No root access out of the box, looking at some of the Android rooting/ROM guides, they don't look particularly straightforward and very messy. The magic of D-Bus for things like integrated messaging/IM/Skype gone. Although Android uses a Linux Kernel it doesn't support the full set of GNU libraries and no X Windows. No FM transmitter like the N900 that I love. No running of desktop Java applications like JDownloader, I'm going to miss this sorely.

I'll update the thread as and when I have more time with the device. I really wished Nokia had kept Maemo and paired it with the kind of hardware the Note has (plus a physical keyboard!). I will move to the Note being my main phone, but I will keep the N900 within arm's reach too, as even two years later it's simply irreplaceable, outstanding really given the almost monthly depreciation of smart phones.

The only unanswered question in all of this is, why Nokia, why?

Last edited by Rav; 2011-11-16 at 14:57.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rav For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You have missed the free asphalt 6 HD free from samsung apps. Cant stopp playng...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
That said there are two issues that I've noticed, white pages on a browser keep changing shades, very strange, doesn't really happen on anything else for me, as I'm convinced it's a software issue, I'm not too bothered at present.
It's a software issue and is due to its charge saving algorythm. Go to the Display properties and uncheck charge saving, and it's over

Originally Posted by Rav View Post
No root access out of the box, looking at some of the Android rooting/ROM guides, they don't look particularly straightforward and very messy.
This works

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
My trusty old N900 still works for now, but so orphaned it makes me sad.

The Galaxy Note is the first phone that make me feel like changing horses -- probably because it's "different", in its own way.

I have spent enough time with a 7" Galaxy Tab to know what to expect on the Android side.
It won't be any match for Maemo, but the hardware is too good to pass by...

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Somewhere in Europe
I have Note for 24 hrs now and I can only second everything Rav wrote above.

What I'm really happy about is that the Graffiti Pro by Access Co. runs so smoothly as input method. It's the real good old Palm experience!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1184025...74084429408754

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by cube48; 2011-11-22 at 10:55.

Tags
android, galaxy note