Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Original post:

I'm wondering why people dont install cssu, it is basically a bug fix for the maemo 5 os. Yes it does have additional features, none of which have to be used. It is what would have been PR 1.4 if Nokia was still supporting Maemo 5.

Are people still using PR 1.2 refusing to update to PR 1.3? I could understand if there wasn't a stable release, but that is not the case. On the same line of thought though users not running cssu seem to have no problem installing anything that pops up in extras devel.

I dont get it the devs working on cssu are some of the best on tmo yet I could make a package upload it extra devel, call it space optimizer which would be nothing more than a script that reformats MyDocs and I bet people would download it by the dozens.

So why arent you using cssu?

NOTES:

It seems that the general consensus is that cssu is just "portrait mode" and to that I want to say that it is not. You can read through the thread and come to your own conclusions.

If you do decide to try cssu it is highly recommended that you first install backup menu and do a complete backup of opt and root. This will enable you to restore your phone without reflashing.

Even if you already use or will never CSSU I highly recommend the use of backup menu.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63975

Answers to common questions:

What does CSSU actually change/fixed/updated?

Thanks to Copernicus we now have an expanded explanation of what was changed/fixed in modest (Maemo email client). PS click on his name for the wiki and hit the thanks button while your at it.

The change log is here.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Changelog

The bug list is here with the corresponding bug reports.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/QA

Updates to QT (part of CSSU):
http://qt.gitorious.org/+qt-develope.../changes-4.7.4

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/09/01/qt-4-7-4-released/

For a complete list of packages in CSSU also at the bottom of the page a verbose discussion with page links to what was actually changed:
http://gitorious.org/community-ssu

I dont like/care for portrait mode or the new camera

Portrait mode is disabled by default and when portrait mode is enabled there is the ability to blacklist any app that you do not want to rotate.

To revert to the stock camera

apt-get install --reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5

If you can contribute to the documentation of what CSSU is please post.

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-01-22 at 07:17.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I simply don't have any reason to use it. I use my N900 nowadays mainly for Mer/Nemo hacking.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
I think that it's mostly about portrait mode support. And I don't care about portrait mode.
I had it before it was "stable" and I didn't like all those rotations. Plus I didn't like new camera UI and I was/am quite fine with stock audio player. But then I had to take my phone to service and I didn't install it again. But I'm thinking about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I think that it's mostly about portrait mode support. And I don't care about portrait mode.
I had it before it was "stable" and I didn't like all those rotations. Plus I didn't like new camera UI and I was/am quite fine with stock audio player. But then I had to take my phone to service and I didn't install it again. But I'm thinking about it.
same reason I have never installed CSSU before because I don't care about potrait mode also CSSU can raise manu problems with other applications as some people said

The Following User Says Thank You to tonypower88 For This Useful Post:
I think that this is one of the main reasons, thinking that it is just portrait mode support. It is an added feature which you dont have to use as well as the new camera which can easily be changed back to the original. The new media player is not intergrated in neither testing nor stable.

It has fixes to the OS as well as support for a newer version of qt, which is where this question I have stems from. There is a new version of cutetube qml in extras devel that users are having problems with because of lack of support for the new qt modules.

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-01-11 at 19:41.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I didn't install stable flavour CSSU until a week ago.
I wasn't to bothered about the portrait mode. Was happy with DrLaunch.

Since I have installed the portrait is really useful and the UI is smoother.
I don't seem to need a reboot every week now, the OS fixes are really noticable.

I have had no trouble with any apps/widgets since installation
Pleased I installed now, can't wait for stable OMP.
Also a better portrait keyboard would be useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I've heard that it can conflict with some other apps. But I am going to try it out in the near future. Can the rotations be turned off? I always use it in landscape mode. Feels more natural to me.

EDIT: Is there a list somewhere about which apps/widgets give trouble with the CSSU?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
fixes to the OS?
Like what?

I'd rather install separately anyway
I don't need extra qt modules either.
I think keyboard phones should be locked to landscape

So, for me, apart from the OS fixes this is useless

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Lebanon,Beirut
Because my Emmc is broken xD

@ bingomion and The Wizard of Huz

I updated the first post to respond to your questions because I think a lot of people are actually unaware of the fixes

@ bingomion

The fixes that are included are bugs that can not be fixed by a standard download.

@ sixwheeledbeast I only use OMP I havent had any issues with it. I dont think it will be integrated with cssu because it can be easily installed through the standard app manager which isnt the case for the new camera UI

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-01-11 at 20:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post: