Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
We all know that if NSA wants, they decrypt Google's traffic on the Gmail server, provide gag orders, etc. And we know it for sure, unlike ...
That is without question. It just feels like Russia are behind the US and China is the snooping game and are looking for an opportunity to get involed.
Yeah, cause governments are for charity.
If business is not interested in spending money on Jolla, then Jolla will have to take it from anybody or be dead. Pity, but it's that simple.
That is also true. Either take the Russian money or go bust. I do not blame them, but ultimately, I can't trust a closed OS that is under the control of a Russian oligarch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, with discussion going the way of US killing Nokia and Jolla controlled
by a Russian oligarch is it time to say goodbye to Jolla and thanks for all the fish?

Sent from my Jolla tablet

Last edited by mscion; 2016-06-13 at 18:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
We all know that if NSA wants, they decrypt Google's traffic on the Gmail server, provide gag orders, etc. And we know it for sure, unlike ...
Well, the question is not IF but HOW. In EU, in US and in other democratic countries there is a legal procedure to do it. And there remains a track about that. However Russia is quite far for being a democratic country...

The Following User Says Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
Oh, God, save the Tsar!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ancelad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Thank you for providing this article. I have to admit I found the Google translation a little hard to read. Perhaps someone could summarize some of the main points. Besides the Russian businessman that owes a 60% stake in Jolla could someone explain a little more clearly the motivation or how Jolla is being sold to the Russian government. Is it mostly due to sanctions (or potential ones) and a desire to own and control your own OS for security reasons? Does this mean that in the future Jolla is pretty much closed to the West as a possible product. Or is what is being discussed a totally separate branch of Sailfish that will be independent of Sailfish's normal development. Kind of a blackberry for the Russian government. I'm fine with that. Every country has to look after it's own interests however crazy it seems, but for me, Sailfish is the only OS that provides a real linux experience I like on a phone or tablet. Are those days over and is it time to give up on that and look elsewhere?
Nothing to be afraid of. Windows is used on many special and secret devices, manufacturers customizing it a lot, but it doesn't mean normal customers can't use windows. Same for SailfishOS: OMP and other structures will provide special software and services for SailfishOS, but OS code will not be modified to include these changes, it will be only prepared to allow manufacturers to customize SailfishOS on their devices. Normal customers will never see it on global market devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Windows is used on many special and secret devices
Indeed
10 chars

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Nothing to be afraid of. Windows is used on many special and secret devices, manufacturers customizing it a lot, but it doesn't mean normal customers can't use windows. Same for SailfishOS: OMP and other structures will provide special software and services for SailfishOS, but OS code will not be modified to include these changes, it will be only prepared to allow manufacturers to customize SailfishOS on their devices. Normal customers will never see it on global market devices.
Thanks for your comments. Although I have to admit, I'm now wondering if I should accept the next update of my tablet! Or is it too late... Personally I hope for continued development of Sailfish and further outreach to west. Proper linux distribution available on phone sold in US basically stopped after the N900. Nokia had official stores in US then. N9 was never sold in US. I got one through Singapore carrier of all places.

Btw, Hopefully not off topic but noticed you use linkedin...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/13/...buys-linkedin/

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Ty, but i'm not a paranoia person, and i dont care who owns linkedin. I'm using linkedin, facebook, google, vkontakte and many other services and you can already find almost any of my personal data for free. I'm just never sending any private and sensitive data over public services

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Ty, but i'm not a paranoia person, and i dont care who owns linkedin. I'm using linkedin, facebook, google, vkontakte and many other services and you can already find almost any of my personal data for free. I'm just never sending any private and sensitive data over public services
Glad to hear you are not paranoid! I've said this before, but, years ago I had nothing to hide. Now I have nothing left to hide...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
The question is- should i rather buy a second N9 or a N900 now ?
Seriously. The situation sucks. So many nice Russians. And Jolla has to be controlled by one of the rather-not-so-nice-ones.

EDIT: IIRC Jolla promised to make Sailfish or at least parts of it open source ? Will this ever happen ?

Last edited by Veraendert; 2016-06-13 at 16:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post: