Notices

Could you try to run it from terminal and see what are the errors? (enter "mc" in terminal)
Also, does installation via the .install file work?

The Following User Says Thank You to anpaza For This Useful Post:
WOW! MC started when MC in terminal was typed !!! B)
But "stand-alone" it's doesn't work. Run via menu took no effect, and no cpecific MC icon in menu (just common app icon)
Via .install no success.

But in terminal it works perfectly, even ftp! Cool!!!

By the way, is it possible to bind Enter key to cursor center button on tablet?
Directory browsing would be much quicker and comfortable.

Last edited by Gomez; 2008-07-12 at 19:42.

Aha, so it's the desktop file used to start mc which does not work.

I use the command "osso-xterm -e mc" to start mc in a new terminal window.

If you tell me the command which works in gregale, I'll redo the package with the right command.

mc.desktop can be found in /usr/share/applications/hildon/. You can try to edit the Exec= line to make it work.

The problem with the joystick is common for N770 and N800. I think the terminal can be patched to not show the keyboard when you tap the Enter key, but so far I'm occupied by other things.

Last edited by anpaza; 2008-07-12 at 20:46.

No success yet...
If I change mc.desktop
from osso-xterm -e mc
to /usr/bin/osso-xterm -e mc
terminal running, mc - not
I even tried cd /usr/bin/ ;osso-xterm -e mc
nothing run.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
For N800 (diablo), I just set /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached using gconf editor so the osk doesn't show up and middle button on d-pad sends return value.

And what if bind Enter to "cursor right"? It's quite logically (after cursor center).

Update:

I have released a new package called terminfo which is just a collection of terminfo files from the ncurses library (the same that you will find in the ncurses-base and ncurses-term packages in SDK repositories). These package are not visible in App Manager, they will be automatically installed when you upgrade mc.

Also a new mc version has been released (1maemo2) which depends on the terminfo-base package. This is extremely useful if you use mc via ssh, otherwise you get a black-and-white mc which does not recognize most keys like arrows, functional keys etc.

Another mc companion package has been released: bash2. This is bash 2.0.5b (the last stable version from the 2.x branch). Why not bash 3.x? Well, bash 3 is about 700k (from nitapps.com) and bash2 is 400k. Feel the difference. I think bash 3 is too bloated for such a small device like Nokia tablets

So, a summary: Go to application manager -> Find updates -> Refresh, upgrade your mc installation, then Applications -> Tools -> install bash2.

770 users can just install the terminfo-base package, I hope it will work. Then you'll get a fully-functional mc via ssh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anpaza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by anpaza View Post
Update:

Also a new mc version has been released (1maemo2) which depends on the terminfo-base package. This is extremely useful if you use mc via ssh, otherwise you get a black-and-white mc which does not recognize most keys like arrows, functional keys etc.

Another mc companion package has been released: bash2. This is bash 2.0.5b (the last stable version from the 2.x branch). Why not bash 3.x? Well, bash 3 is about 700k (from nitapps.com) and bash2 is 400k. Feel the difference. I think bash 3 is too bloated for such a small device like Nokia tablets

So, a summary: Go to application manager -> Find updates -> Refresh, upgrade your mc installation, then Applications -> Tools -> install bash2.
I am getting an error when trying to install mc 1.4.6.2-pre1-1maemo2, "Unable to install mc. Installation file corrupted".

This is on a N800 Diablo.

Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
I am getting an error when trying to install mc 1.4.6.2-pre1-1maemo2, "Unable to install mc. Installation file corrupted".

This is on a N800 Diablo.
Same error on a N810 Chinook.

that's strange... i've installed two days ago from the repo and it works like a charm (thanks, anpaza!)