Notices

I'll take a look at it with os2006.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Oh, the standard hildon popup keyboard. Not gonna happen by my hand.
Ah crap... You're still not getting it.

All I'm asking for is if there is a way, possibly typing something magical in X-Term, that will pop up the keyboard just to see if this hildon thingie works together with Dosbox. It's just an initial experiment that I'm requesting here.

If it does work, then perhaps we could go to the next step which is modifying it's default layout.

I've got no problem editing the keyboard myself, but I probably will need a little help from my friend OSEmuTech since I'm a little fluffy on how to compile anything for the Nokia Tablet.

I'm not asking any extra work on your part ArnimS, but you're the brains behind most things around here.

So is it possible that this hildon pop up keyboard doohicker would work under Dosbox, and if it does, how much of the screen layout for the keyboard can be modified?

I'm totally willing to do this myself, I mean, though I don't know what the hell I'll be doing, I need to learn something eventually in my lifetime.

But before I try this, I just want to know if it's even a plausible idea.

Thanks for reading this long winded post of extreme nonsense.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
I've been meaning to try out the free Calmira user interface for Windows 3.1x on DOSBox too.
Try this one, it might be powerful fun...

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Try this one, it might be powerful fun...
That's cool. I immediately recognized the OS/2-ness of the free replacement Workplace Shell.

I own the retail PC Tools for Windows that site has a page about: http://toastytech.com/guis/cpdesk.html

More shell replacements: http://toastytech.com/guis/indexshells.html
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
OK, I have to ask: Am I the only one seeing the irony of implementing an emulation of OS/2's Workplace Shell on an old graphical DOS shell running on an emulation of the DOS operating system on a recompilation of Linux for a non-Intel processor?

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
OK, I have to ask: Am I the only one seeing the irony of implementing an emulation of OS/2's Workplace Shell on an old graphical DOS shell running on an emulation of the DOS operating system on a recompilation of Linux for a non-Intel processor?
No. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Naaah, all that new-fangled GUI stuff is still a trifle advanced for me. This weekend I managed to retrieve (after much shuffling and searching of old backups) an archive of the first professional "productivity suite" I used at work in the 80s : the little-known, but quite effective for its time, "Smartware 3.10" by the Canadian Innovative Software (later bought by Informix, who came out with Smartware II, just in time to be wiped by the Windows 3.0 wave...).

Smart 3.10 is a character-based, MS-DOS app in the same league and timeframe as the better known Framework III from Ashton-Tate and SPI's OpenAccess II : a word processor, spreadsheet and database with a common interface and programming language (those were the blessed days when presentation software hadn't even been invented yet :-).

Apart from some keyboard issues, it runs like a champ in Dosbox on my 810, and much faster than the orginal did on my first IMB PC-XT... a real beauty :-)

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Naaah, all that new-fangled GUI stuff is still a trifle advanced for me. This weekend I managed to retrieve (after much shuffling and searching of old backups) an archive of the first professional "productivity suite" I used at work in the 80s : the little-known, but quite effective for its time, "Smartware 3.10" by the Canadian Innovative Software (later bought by Informix, who came out with Smartware II, just in time to be wiped by the Windows 3.0 wave...).

Smart 3.10 is a character-based, MS-DOS app in the same league and timeframe as the better known Framework III from Ashton-Tate and SPI's OpenAccess II : a word processor, spreadsheet and database with a common interface and programming language (those were the blessed days when presentation software hadn't even been invented yet :-).

Apart from some keyboard issues, it runs like a champ in Dosbox on my 810, and much faster than the orginal did on my first IMB PC-XT... a real beauty :-)
I started with Symphony (the original one, not the GUI copycat) myself. Ahh -- the joy of typing in a wordprocessor that is actually a spreadsheet, wearing a cunning disguise.

Now if only somebody managed to reproduce Canon's Cat, or even Archy. I never got to play with it, and come to think of it, the keyboardless Itablets (I don't consider the N810's chicklet bar a keyboard) are probably not the best platforms for these beasties.

Hmm -- while musing: This might be a nice target for that Ueberlady of emulators, the Dame Pandora...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Does anyone know what the three buttons huddled next to eachother just below the D Pad are called in the mapper.txt file?

I know that the top one of the three is called "key_esc" but I can't seem to find the other two.

I really would like to bind these keys if it's at all possible.

Thanks a bunch.

In the default mapper.txt file I believe those keys are (from top going down):

key-esc = "key 27"
hand_shutdown = "key 285"
key-f5 = "key 286"

If I remember right I tried to remap "key 286" and it did the dual action of what I mapped it to and also pulling up that little active program menu. Have fun!