Posts: 28 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Slovenia
I have a strange problem that I can reproduce every time.

I open conversation and tap on the white space so that onscreen keyboard pops up. I type in "The quick brown fox" and then I delete "brown" and close onscreen keyboard. What I get from sentence is "The quick bro".

Another example:
I type "The quick brown fox". Before I close onscreen keyboard I change "quick" to "slow" and "brown" to "yellow". Expected outcome would of course be "The slow yellow fox".
Well, what I get when I close onscreen keyboard is: "The quick broyellow"

This is driving me mad.. Sometimes I need to make some corrections in messages that I write. When I close the keyboard I usually send right away without reading it again (I already did when I made the corrections). I then realize I sent out totally unreadable message.

I dont know if this is a bug or just my phone acting up, anyone else noticed this behavior?
I have ukeyboard installed, if this is of any importance.

The Following User Says Thank You to awesome For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
I have a strange problem that I can reproduce every time.

I open conversation and tap on the white space so that onscreen keyboard pops up. I type in "The quick brown fox" and then I delete "brown" and close onscreen keyboard. What I get from sentence is "The quick bro".

Another example:
I type "The quick brown fox". Before I close onscreen keyboard I change "quick" to "slow" and "brown" to "yellow". Expected outcome would of course be "The slow yellow fox".
Well, what I get when I close onscreen keyboard is: "The quick broyellow"

This is driving me mad.. Sometimes I need to make some corrections in messages that I write. When I close the keyboard I usually send right away without reading it again (I already did when I made the corrections). I then realize I sent out totally unreadable message.

I dont know if this is a bug or just my phone acting up, anyone else noticed this behavior?
I have ukeyboard installed, if this is of any importance.

It's a bug. Try editing a URL in the browser some day - that way lies true madness!

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
I have the same thing. virtual qwerty keyboard is virtually unusable to me, they might as well have ditched it altogether...

Ahhh ok... tnx for clarification..
Seems to me that it's quite a big bug, since it renders virtual keyboard "almost" useless. I thought those kind of problems would be solved with PR1.2 or at least PR1.3. oh well...

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Just tested this, in XTerm and in Conversations (by starting a new SMS). Works fine for me. If it is a bug, it's not in the normal hildon input method.

I suspect it's in ukeyboard, then, because I don't have that. The only other keyboard changing stuff, I think, is Bluetooth HID (specifically the keyboard stuff the HID scripts bring in).

What's happening with you is pretty easy to figure out mathematically. Whatever your applications have changed in the virtual keyboard aspect of the input method, has made it incapable of changing position in the text.

So when you type "123456789" and delete 456, and replace with abc, trying to get "123abc789" you should get "123456abc". Because when you go to a different spot and backspace the "456" it recognizes that you deleted three characters, but it doesn't realize you moved from the end of the text. So instead it deletes the last three characters, and types from there.

So when you type "The quick brown fox" and delete "brown", it backspaces six characters from the end - f, o, x, (space), n, w. (Six because when you delete "brown" you presumably delete one of the spaces next to it.)

The same process happen with your other example. "The quick brown fox", when you delete "quick" it backspaces five (space doesn't get deleted because I assume you're not deleting the spaces since you're about to write another word in) characters from the end: "n fox". Then it adds what you type instead of quick - "slow", resulting in "The quick browslow". Then you replace brown with yellow, which it registers as "delete five characters, add 'yellow'". Thus, "wslow" gets deleted, yellow gets added to the end.

Guessing whoever coded whatever is responsible didn't logically think through some part of how the text entry works, and thus didn't realize that when editing something other than the last part of the input string, it would glitch like that. *Shrug*

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
i also have this bug and it is pretty ignoring even thou i only rarely use the virtual keyboard.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
This is a similar issue bug 11444

Removed ukeyboard and sadly the problem is still there

It would be interesting to see if it is doing it on clean install... but I'm not going to reflash it (had enough of reinstalling when 1.3 came) ... maybe when/if 1.4 comes out..

EDIT: I uninstalled all bluetooth stuff too, no change..
"The quick brown fox" -> change "quick" to "slow" = "The quickslown fox"

Last edited by awesome; 2010-12-05 at 23:51.

Hmmmm.... I noticed that if I select the word "quick" by tap-drag and not by double tap it doesnt screw up. Same goes for all my previous examples.

Seems to me that the problem is with selecting words with double tap and then correcting/deleting.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Right you are, the bug only surfaces if you double click to select the word.