Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Is there a way to run ubu-chroot Firefox in its own window like Chromium? I can run it fine within xfce but trying to run it in its own window just gives the black screen, "No XWayland Window" message.
I don't have a Pro1 a hand yet to confirm this , but at least on Fedora, there exists a script called "firefox-wayland" that starts firefox to render directly under wayland, and not through X.
The error you get here looks like this, Sailfish using wayland, and XFCE probably does something like either provides and X server when run fully, or justs sets some flags to use wayland that you don't get when running in standalone.

If that is any help and the command "firefox-wayland" doesn't exist in your package manager, it is simply the following bash script (pasted from Fedora on PC):
Code:
[zeta@pc ~]$ cat /usr/bin/firefox-wayland 
#!/usr/bin/bash
#
# Run Firefox under Wayland
#
export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
exec /usr/bin/firefox "$@"
I hope that could help you, and that I receive quickly a Pro1 to try this myself !

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
That export i used successfully to activate touch scroll in firefox prior to starting it manually.
Great to see it in the starter.
Thx for the hint.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I don't have a Pro1 a hand yet to confirm this , but at least on Fedora, there exists a script called "firefox-wayland" that starts firefox to render directly under wayland, and not through X.
The error you get here looks like this, Sailfish using wayland, and XFCE probably does something like either provides and X server when run fully, or justs sets some flags to use wayland that you don't get when running in standalone.

If that is any help and the command "firefox-wayland" doesn't exist in your package manager, it is simply the following bash script (pasted from Fedora on PC):
Code:
[zeta@pc ~]$ cat /usr/bin/firefox-wayland 
#!/usr/bin/bash
#
# Run Firefox under Wayland
#
exec /usr/bin/firefox "$@"
I hope that could help you, and that I receive quickly a Pro1 to try this myself !
Running this (outside of the xfce shell) gives "The Wayland compositor does not provide any supported shell interface, not using Wayland display".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Oh wow, I did not know about Shift+Click Mosen actually, I have been trying all sorts of long press or Control+tap, but somehow missed Shift. Awesome.

taixzo, seeing your screenshot, it seems your xfce4 panel actually is there, but was (accidentally) resized and moved to the middle of your desktop (on the right). Since you haven't installed anything yet, I would just try reinstalling ubu-chroot from scratch. Unless there is a keyboard shortcut to bring the application menu, but I don't think that is possible before the F(x) key is recognized as Super at the kernel level.

You can launch Firefox in its standalone window without xfce using "./desktop/ubu-exec.sh xwayland ApplicationName", have a look at an example .desktop file for Tilix here: https://github.com/elros34/sailfish_...ment-573185058. You can try from command line first and then make a .desktop file when confirmed to work, but I think I already did it in the past when someone asked and posted a screenshot of it somewhere.

To be honest, I realized after opening the above issue that I very rarely use ubu-chroot without xfce4. The powerful multitasking within the DE is just too much to miss when using keyboard shortcuts, and setting another keyboard shortcut for "Toggle fullscreen" in the global settings results in the exact same appearance (well except for Chromium actually because fullscreen hides the tab bar and address field), without the need to adjust DPI. I have not properly compared battery life with or without xfce4 running, however.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-01-29 at 16:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I have not properly compared battery life with or without xfce4 running, however.
Since you kind of complained about batterylife in the past more than i did as a rare chroot user, i would guess it has at least "some" impact

And thanks for hinting at the parameter to the script. I did not realize it is that convenient. Nice work Elros34!
To incorporate the "export MOZ..." a script will sure work to start it befor elros sricpt?

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Yeah, but there seems to be two states actually. Sometimes my battery drains real fast with xfce4 and chromium running, something it is quite acceptable. Usually the battery drains faster if xfce4 has been running for many hours before. Restarting with Ubu-close followed by Ubu-xfce4 usually helps.

Now I don't know if the issue actually is with Ubu-chroot or xfce4, since I use xfce4 all the time. It may even simply be chromium with some tabs starting to eat CPU quietly, and restarting it all solves the issue, but restarting just chromium would perhaps be enough if this is really the cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Can anyone confirm that ssh into the pro1 works over wifi out of the box, or is there some extra configuration steps I need to do?

I have developer mode enabled, and I can ssh to 127.0.0.1 from ToeTerm on the Pro1, but I fail to connect via wifi.

I can ping the device via wifi with no problem.

systemctl stop sshd stops sshd and I no longer can connect locally.
systemctl start sshd restore the local connection.

I cannot connect via usb either, but that may be because I have a 192.168.2.x network available to the local network via vpn so there may be some routing issue arising. (When I get chance I will try dropping the VPN for a while.)

The Following User Says Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
As far as I remember, it works ouf of the box (USB does not, known issue). What is the error you are getting? Perhaps your Proš uses the same IP as your previous Sailfish device, and therefore is rejected when checking ~/.ssh/known_hosts. You could try looking into it if the Proš IP is listed and comment it out.

[Edit] Oh, my bad, you are trying to connect from the Proš, not to it. Check authorized_keys on the host instead then, maybe that's your issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
Can anyone confirm that ssh into the pro1 works over wifi out of the box
Got my Proš yesterday morning and I can confirm this worked just fine with developer mode enabled and a password set on the freshly flashed sailfishos-t5-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200122.zip.

As I normally do, I followed by putting my ssh pubkey in and disabling password authentication.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pcfe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to connect TO the Pro1 from a device with a larger keyboard and screen :-)

When I first tried it I think I saw 'connection refused', but now it just times out. Tried from multiple devices and multiple wifi networks. It also works fine with multiple other SFOS devices.

I dont see the ip listed in known_devices on this machine, but it certainly isn't listed on at least one other tried, because its a new linux install. Good thought though, I hadn't checked before.

At least now I know it works for other people, and I didn't miss some arcane setting, I will carry on trying to figure it out.

....aaaand as if by magic it starts working all by itself! I've been trying for a week with no joy, I've changed nothing today and it's suddenly working

It must be the t.m.o effect !

This Pro1 just keeps getting better and better

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:

Tags
fxtec pro1, sailfish os