Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
I've had the N900 since end of November. Was one of the first to receive from preorder. I've enjoyed and been frustrated using the phone/device for reasons I am simply not prepared to go into because like every other thread (according to everyone on here) its been done to death.

So up pops the HTC desire. Hmm looks promising - more interesting than the iphone and has a similar desire (lol) as the n900 to be something special.

My god it is. Been playing for only 3 hours but the level of personalisation and amount of apps (that work) is incredible - maybe been using the N900 for too long eh?!

The music manager is superb. I have added my memory card from the N900 and everything works. All the contacts in place and sync'd.

Hotmail and googlemail works nicely.

Sat nav included and works.

Nice clear screens. Would like to see fat fingers included for the Desire soon as portrait qwerty is tiny and NOT great for fat fingers! At least I can text with one hand though. Works well in portrait or landscape and it switches via a twist on all applications.

There are really nice touches like the weather app that has clouds/rain etc dependning on the weather. There is a nice water touch screen. Like putting your finger in a mill pond.

Managed to access my laptop within minutes. Very easier to configure. And I'm no expert on this kinda thing.

I'd like to see use of folders but maybe its there - just not had long enough with it.

Will update in a couple of days and see what battery life if like and general livability.

Don't come on here and slate me for wanting better than the N900. I did my research etc etc. I'm not gonna flame the N900 as its decent enough but from what I've experienced of the Desire, so far the N900 falls well short.

If you don't want to know, don't comment

I will decide over the next week which phone to keep. I'll switch back occassionally to keep comparing useability.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
i debating wether to purchase a desire??

been getting some good reviews and can be rooted to for custom roms etc

the nexus 1 is the same but with added features google made for that, but they do look nice.

i hope they made a nexus1/desire with a actual qwerty keyboard, i'd swap the n900 for that

im very very tempted to make the same switch, i'll be keen to hear your thoughts after a couple of days of using it

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@bonerp: how's android's on-screen keyboard with capacitive screen?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@bonerp: how's android's on-screen keyboard with capacitive screen?
well after I've been pressing the screen for a few months now, it will take a bit to change but feels nice to use and is very responsive. The predictive is pretty good. If you get the word wrong it gives a few suggestions which u just tap to replace and continue typing. The physical keys for selecting and deleting etc are well placed. think the volume on the side would be better placed on the opposite side tbh! Keep knocking it.
I think this screen feels a bit better quality. Is this because its not resistive?

The Following User Says Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Got mine on order as I was due an upgrade, and was Android-curious.

I have no preconceptions as to what I'll end up using as my main device - they'll have to fight it out.
I'm looking forward to apps, AOLED, Google maps, Google Earth (better than desktop version, apparently), smaller form factor and portrait.
Only obvious bummer at the moment is that AOLED screens are invisible in sunlight.

WS

physically the screen is only about 4/5 mm longer than the n900 but it feels more useable. the width is about the same width of the black part of the n900.

Text on the conversations is clear. Contact numbers could be slightly bigger. Not sure whether these bits are customisable like on the n900.

Does anyone know where you can get it unlocked in US/Canada?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
well after I've been pressing the screen for a few months now, it will take a bit to change but feels nice to use and is very responsive. The predictive is pretty good. If you get the word wrong it gives a few suggestions which u just tap to replace and continue typing. The physical keys for selecting and deleting etc are well placed. think the volume on the side would be better placed on the opposite side tbh! Keep knocking it.
I think this screen feels a bit better quality. Is this because its not resistive?
Not all capacitive screens behave the same too... at least I wasn't too crazy about my htc G1 while I'm perfectly happy with iPhone's cap-screens. Perhaps the G1's screen is too small (2.8'?) or it's hardware spec & older android OS I have on it aren't too responsive... *shrugs*

I'm glad you're getting good results with the Desire.

I think capacitive screens are made of glass, which make them feel higher quality than the soft overlay of resistive screens? Personally, I like capacitive screen for my daily usecases since I don't draw/handwrite much.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
the herd is thinning, we prune in the fall