Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Insignificant glitch: Busybox power for a weird reason poses as 'ovi software' when updates are available.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hey iDont,

seems like we (erm you ) have again an issue with this history thing.
Take a look here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88388, please.
Unfortunately there was no chance to get a bit more information than that it happened again somehow ...
Next busybox-power release will generate a second package named "busybox-power-althistory", which will append each command to the history file instead of writing all commands out at shell exit. The regular busybox-power package will still write out its history on shell exit.

Those few who suffer from the history bug can then be referred to using busybox-power-althistory instead of the regular package. This way, everyone's happy .

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Insignificant glitch: Busybox power for a weird reason poses as 'ovi software' when updates are available.
Whoa, that's weird. I'm absolutely clueless as to why this glitch would occur. Does it always happen when there's a busybox-power update?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
I think I saw it twice but I'm not certain, only one device here with thumb. When the update came, the popup said 1 maemo update (cssu), 1 third party app (rawcam), 1 ovi software (busybox-power)

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Yesterday's update showed again as ovi software. Should have taken a screenshot...

Anyway, it's unimportant. Just thought you should know.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Major update ahead!

BusyBox 1.21.0 was released last Monday. It incorporates almost a year's worth of upstream development by various developers (see the release announcement at http://busybox.net/). Furthermore, a new applet has been included: sha3sum.

Binary Debian archives are available from busybox-power's garage page. They will be pushed to Maemo's repositories as soon as the repositories get back online. Direct download links for busybox-power1.21.0power1:
Please note that the installation directory of several (mostly obscure) applets has been changed. If you call any of these by their FQN, you should probably update your script. See this commit for a list of moved applets.

Also, do note that major releases have a bigger chance to break stuff. However, no hotfixes have been released yet (i.e. no regressions are known at this moment) and I personally haven't experienced any trouble running this latest release on my device.
Do let me know whenever you find a bug though .

Enjoy!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I just noticed that where-as before the old busybox binary went into /opt, it is now being left in /bin.

Is there a reason for this, or just a side-effect of using dpkg's divert mechanism on it? (I don't know how dpkg diversion work, but if it's possible to put it in opt, I think that would be more ideal, except for the rare cases when busybox-power breaks boot... except we know it doesn't, and anyone arguing for that on those grounds is making a silly claim, because hundreds of users boot on a regular basis with busybox-power as their busybox and no errors have ever surfaced as a result; not to mention you extensively test things.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-02-09 at 00:51. Reason: Typo: "known" -> "no"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I just noticed that where-as before the old busybox binary went into /opt, it is now being left in /bin.

Is there a reason for this, or just a side-effect of using dpkg's divert mechanism on it? (I don't know how dpkg diversion work, but if it's possible to put it in opt, I think that would be more ideal, except for the rare cases when busybox-power breaks boot... except we know it doesn't, and anyone arguing for that on those grounds is making a silly claim, because hundreds of users boot on a regular basis with busybox-power as their busybox and no errors have ever surfaced as a result; not to mention you extensively test things.)
Heh, I didn't receive an e-mail notification that someone posted in this thread.

Anyway, the technical rationale is that /opt is on a different partition, which *might* not always be available (e.g. when accessing Maemo in a chroot or rescue situation). However, in that case dpkg wouldn't be able to uninstall busybox-power at all as it resides in /opt/busybox-power, so the rationale is pretty moot.

The reason I put it the diverted binary there, is because it normally is a best practice to put the diverted file in the same directory as the original file (see online documentation and man dpkg-divert). E.g. dpkg-divert --list on my N900 shows:
Code:
diversion of /usr/share/osso-rtcom/google-talk.profile to /usr/share/osso-rtcom/google-talk.profile.novoip by rtcom-accounts-voip-support
diversion of /usr/share/osso-rtcom/jabber.profile to /usr/share/osso-rtcom/jabber.profile.novoip by rtcom-accounts-voip-support
diversion of /usr/share/osso-rtcom/nokiachat.profile to /usr/share/osso-rtcom/nokiachat.profile.novoip by rtcom-accounts-voip-support
diversion of /usr/share/osso-rtcom/sip.profile to /usr/share/osso-rtcom/sip.profile.novoip by rtcom-accounts-voip-support
diversion of /etc/hildon-desktop/home.plugins to /etc/hildon-desktop/home.plugins.real by hildon-desktop-applet-settings-mr0
diversion of /usr/lib/microb-engine/libnssckbi.so to /usr/lib/microb-engine/libnssckbi.mozilla by libmaemosec-certman0
local diversion of /usr/bin/JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko to /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko
diversion of /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/bearer/libqicdbearer.so to /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/bearer/libqicdbearer.so.original47 by libqt4-bearer-hotfix
diversion of /sbin/fiasco-image-update to /sbin/fiasco-image-update.distrib by fiasco-image-update-ask
diversion of /bin/sh to /bin/sh.distrib by busybox
diversion of /bin/busybox to /bin/busybox.distrib by busybox-power
However, I guess Maemo's own best practice (re: rootfs space) overrides Debian's. You're not the first one to express discontent with the current setup, so I'll give in. Fixed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
First, thanks iDont for the awesome job updating and improving the BusyBox package. I literally just today found out that this existed. Was thinking about switching to Bash a while earlier since I needed some utils from there, but seeing as they are available in this package it's all good.

I noticed that the command man is included in the package, and tried it out but there doesn't seem to be any man pages -- man -a returns nothing and /usr/share/man is empty (apart from README). Is it intentional and if so where can I find man pages for download? How much space would all man pages (for default commands and this package) require approximately?

The Following User Says Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
I noticed that the command man is included in the package, and tried it out but there doesn't seem to be any man pages -- man -a returns nothing and /usr/share/man is empty (apart from README). Is it intentional and if so where can I find man pages for download? How much space would all man pages (for default commands and this package) require approximately?
Stock busybox will accept "man" as well, just the same, without actually having any man pages. Yes, it's intentional, to save /opt space.

There is a package in extras (I believe) that contains a decent selection of manpages. It's called man-db.

You can find it here:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/man-db-n900/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Thanks, I'll check that package out.

If you want to manually add individual man pages, you just put them as is in /usr/share/man and they should work when using man, i.e. no need to update some db? I just had a look at /usr/share/man in EasyDebian and I guess it would work copying from those man1-man8 folders? Do they have to reside in those folder names?