Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone has successfully gotten an ethernet connected laptop to talk to the N800 via wifi and also share the laptop's internet access. I've had no success myself with a Dell XP laptop's wifi using ad-hoc settings, open or secure. I can connect but never receive data on the N800 (visible in connection manager). Checking my IP by using xterm and typing ifconfig, reveals 169.254.81.81 - a random invalid ip. Thanks!

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ liverpool
Hi obra

Any updates on getting this working?

can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working?

thanks

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by obra View Post
Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone has successfully gotten an ethernet connected laptop to talk to the N800 via wifi and also share the laptop's internet access. I've had no success myself with a Dell XP laptop's wifi using ad-hoc settings, open or secure. I can connect but never receive data on the N800 (visible in connection manager). Checking my IP by using xterm and typing ifconfig, reveals 169.254.81.81 - a random invalid ip. Thanks!
I've mentioned this in several different threads, but I have been able to get it to work, but it usually dies after 2.5 minutes. I once got it to work for 20 minutes! I am not sure why... You must set your ethernet connection to allow internet sharing (in the properties window), and set it to share with the wifi. Then, if you want, you can set up the connection on the n800 manually:

ip: 192.168.0.X (something between 2 and 254)
subnet: 255.255.255.0
all others: 192.168.0.1

Good luck. I think my problem is that the wireless card doesn't work well with this. I have a T42. I am now using an iBook and it shares flawlessly, but I haven't been able to use the encryption, so I can only make an open connection.

thanks johsua

Ill try that now

cheers

Well i tried it

i set up the ad-hoc network with my laptop and successfully connected but my ip address on the n800 was a 169.254 ip. i then added the static ip addy and subnet etc but still getting no network connectivity, although the n800 does connect to the ad-hoc network via wifi!

any other ideas would be grateful, or a walkthru

cheers

nyler

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Did you activate internet sharing for the ethernet connection and link it to the wifi?

And - did you connect to the n800 from your laptop as well?

if you are getting a 169 address, it sounds like you are not getting a dynamic ip. do you need to have a DHCP server turned on the laptop?

yes i connected to the n800 from my laptop as well! just getting that 169 ip

i enabled to share internet connection on wifi but no luck and when i tried to share the ethernet connection it told me that the ip had already been taken for this connection.

ill keep trying, as long as i know its perfectly possible

dhcp is turned on as well

cheers guys

cracked it and now i am buzzing, i just bridged the ethernet and wifi , and away i was, nice one everyone!

cheers

nyleridedog

Soo... what made the trick then?