Active Topics

School is coming up, and I would love to use my N810 as a in-class entertainment device (my school does not allow cellphones, but I get away with my beloved tablet). What is the best way to achieve off-line viewing of websites? I really don't want to pay Verizon monthly to tether it to my blackberry pearl. I was thinking of some sort of script to dump new content nightly and sync it to my N810. I was also thinking of some sort of RSS that downloads whole articles to my device automatically. Any ideas?

There is software that will download/rip websites for you, both on tablets and computers but I'm not familar with them. I think they start with a W in maemo extras and extras-devel. However for RSS feeds you can use what I'm using, feedcircuit. It's no longer updated by the author but is really customizable but it takes a long time if you have lots of RSS feeds or heavy RSS feeds. I have around 40 rss feeds of blogs, reuters news (screw AP), comics, and other sites I use feedcircuit with and it'll take about 40 min to an hour to do all of them. But it comes in handy on the DC Metro where you likely wouldn't even get service lest your on Verizon.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Does this work?
It's a combo of bookmarklet and browser addons.

http://readitlaterlist.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Plucker is an offline browser designed originally for Palm devices, and FBReader can read plucker docs.

The Following User Says Thank You to wklink For This Useful Post:
Was the "W" one WebHTTrack, Laughing Man? I'm gonna have to check that out and Feedcircuit for sure, is feedcircuit pretty fast and responsive when it comes to reading the content?

Ysss, I don't know if the bookmarklet aspect works offline. It does have an open API though, that would be awesome if someone could rig a n810 application to take advantage of it. That's way over my head though. How awesome would it be to be able to click on "Read It Later" on your PC, then read it on the go, offline, on your tablet?

Yes, I believe it is WebHTTrack. Feedcircuit isn't in charge of reading content, it merely downloads the RSS feeds (and stores it for X amount of days). When you click on the specific feed (say Reuters News) it then opens up the default microb browser (though if you have the script to change browsers it will open up the corresponding browser.. e.g. Tear). It is Tear/MicroB/Midori/Whatever that then handles the feed (basically browsing it offline). Basically put, it's like saving a website on your computer.

Hmm I have used ReadItLater but I haven't tried the offline access yet. I'll try it out sometime.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

There is also the wget program. With wget you can recursively fetch websites and view them offline. But it's quite tricky to set up all program arguments and it does not work very well with dynamically produced web sites, e.g. cgi or asp sites.