i got 3 n900s. i sold the other one because it wont boot after installing nitdroid plus broken usb port.

now i have 2 n900 left. one as a main phone and the other (no backlight) i used it as a music player/data storage

The Following User Says Thank You to blitzlee06 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blitzlee06 View Post
i got 3 n900s. i sold the other one because it wont boot after installing nitdroid plus broken usb port.

now i have 2 n900 left. one as a main phone and the other (no backlight) i used it as a music player/data storage
Yes I'm still on N900 which was and perhaps still is "ahead of it's time"
Just wondering if anyone has a factory Image I can use.
I think im running on a bodge image that I flashed.
From Australia so I need the asia pacific version if anyone can assist.

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Subs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
The way I use my n900 I guess I'll have to wait forever. I need:
1)A screen that has pinpoint precision that I can use with a pen (the closest thing was the galaxy note);
2)A true and useful multitasking system, more often than not I see myself using 3+ applications at the same time(meego was the closest to this);
3)A useful and readily reliable GPS;
4)Be able to install and use GIMP (OpenPandora);
5)Be able to emulate my most beloved systems from the past and play hence, the need for hardware keyboard+gamegripper (closest is OpenPandora);
6)Be able to have a good camera ready to use anytime;
7)Obviously, all the communication things like gtalk, msn, skype, twitter, facebook, etc.

Yeah... I guess I'll have to wait and go for the OpenPandora + Dumbphone+camera+GPS... TO DO WHAT I ALREADY DO WITH MY N900!!!

I want a phone that can do all that and also have all the apps. Is it so difficult?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ port harcourt
Been long I posted here.. Not deviating from the topic., all though I own a galaxy s3, my nokia n900 still serves as my primary phone since my primary line is in it.. Android does not handle YouTube or daily motion downloads as compared to maemo and the multitasking in maemo is something that is just outstanding.... I can't forgive Nokia for what they did to maemo and meego.. Nokia n900 is definitely my last nokia product..

The Following User Says Thank You to harry_e20000 For This Useful Post:
Still using the N900 as my only phone. Sadly have to abandon it soon though, as I need to run some Android apps (charge app of electric car). I do not want to use NitDroid.

The Following User Says Thank You to FreddyW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Czech Republic
I'm using N900 also as my primary phone and the second one for development.

I miss some features like voice dialing but it needs only time to make it working I love that the SW is open so I can change is as I need.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by Subs View Post
Yes I'm still on N900 which was and perhaps still is "ahead of it's time"
Just wondering if anyone has a factory Image I can use.
I think im running on a bodge image that I flashed.
From Australia so I need the asia pacific version if anyone can assist.

thanks
Use the standard nokia image

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post
Still using the N900 as my only phone. Sadly have to abandon it soon though, as I need to run some Android apps (charge app of electric car). I do not want to use NitDroid.
Quick reply...
You don't have to use NitDroid to run Android-apps on Nokia N900. You can do it right in Fremantle. Try Apkenv and report the problems, if any are encountered.
Congratulations on getting an electric car.
Best wishes.

I just sold my HP Pre 3 this monday, and since then I'm back on the N900.

Although the Pre 3 is thinner and better in the hand and has better battery life, it has a lot of drawbacks compared to the N900.
Pre 3 has more apps, but most of them are shitty apps. And imo the developers on TMO are much more knowledgable. Even though Maemo has less apps, the apps are more versatile and of higher quality, and most are still supported.

Also there is this thing about Web OS, where it is hard to get your data out or in the ecosystem. You have to jump through hoops to export your contacts for instance. Yes, you can sync them to Google/Yahoo account. IF the sync works. Which it never did in my 9 months of owning the device. I never got my calendar data out. Much better to work with standard export/importing methods like on the N900.

And the camera is really bad. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if even the 3GS makes better pictures. The N900, which is 2 years older than Pre 3 takes much much better pictures.

The only thing that is much better on the Pre 3 is the keyboard feel. It has this sticky rubbery key. I always press the key with the tip of my thumbs. My fingers always slip on the N900 keyboard, specially when my nails are a bit bigger. Is there a way to make the keys on the N900 stickier?
But I like the look of the colored keys on the N900. Is much easier to to distinguish letters from the upper row numbers/symbols.
Oh, touch-to-type is something that really should be implemented on the N900. Is much better than hunting for an app, start it, and then type and send an email for instance.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
I post this here, because I just quit using the N900 as main phone. I got every few hours till two days that error, which made my sim card unusable untill reboot. I thought Ok, I'll use my old cheap phone for calls. Then the N900 stuck at boot forever. Reflashing, restore of backup, everything fine. Same errors again, this time no backup up to date.
I thought, Ok now try meego/nemo. I know this is non-profit and I'm thankful to any open-source software.. But when the N9 comes with meego and is Ok for daily use, why isn't the N900 with nemo? I mean: no email client, not much apps..? Weird touch screen handling..

edit: sorry for off-topic questions.. I'll ask elsewhere

edit2: I have to figure out, what's hardware related, my phone just don't goes like those on nemo-youtube-videos..

Last edited by lazart; 2013-02-24 at 19:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to lazart For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900