Notices

That did it! The correct version of dosbox runs way faster too.

I tried Dark Forces on DosBox, and of course, it ran very poorly and was practically unplayable.

I wish there was a real Dark Forces port.

Last edited by JayJay; 2008-06-14 at 21:31.

To me, Dosbox gurus!
Having failed so many time to make Myst run on BasiliskII http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19299 I decided to try it on dosbox (I had nothing to lose after all)
Well, it did launch, but there is a offset between the position of the stylus on the digitizer and the mouse pointer under windows (and in myst as a consequence).
I guess this is due to the fact that the screen is 800x480 vs a VGA resoluzion in Dosbox, so there is no real correspondence between where the pointer is and where it is supposed to be...
Is there a way to magically fix it? I can't say Myst works or not as long as I can't move myself around (but I can say that on a much faster SD, using the SD high speed kernel patch, it would load faster and theoretically work pretty well )

Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
Well, it did launch, but there is a offset between the position of the stylus on the digitizer and the mouse pointer under windows (and in myst as a consequence).
I guess this is due to the fact that the screen is 800x480 vs a VGA resoluzion in Dosbox, so there is no real correspondence between where the pointer is and where it is supposed to be...
Is there a way to magically fix it?
Hopefully you're using the RubyBox frontend for DOSBox (http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html). If not, install it since it makes changing these settings much easier. On the advanced settings page in RubyBox for Myst, try changing the sdl autock setting to false. This may or may not help, but sometimes freeing the cursor from being locked on the screen does help in some games. And on the basic settings page, play with different settings for sdl sensitivity. The default is 100. I usually try settings in the range +5 and -5 from 100. For Apogee's Mystic Towers game a 95 seemed to work best. Let me know if any of this helps and how Myst runs once you're able to move around.

I'm not using RubyBox, just trying different dosbox.conf (Myst requires Win3.1, so I start it with "c:\windows\win c:\Myst\Myst.exe at the end of the file to launch it directly) and unfortunately the autolock=false option didn't help
I read that someone run win 3.1 just fine... how about the misaligned pointer?
Anyway Myst has long loading for different "stages" (due mostly to the speed of the card in my opinion), but the real problem, given that the pointer problem is solvable, will be with the quicktime scenes...
Next idea to solve the pointer problem: external mouse
Now where did I put my usb mouse...

I haven't been able to get xkbd to work well, either with dosbox or by itself. I then tried the xvkbd but the files were no longer available. Are there any alternatives? Has anyone had any luck troubleshooting a broken xkbd install?

I'm dying to try Ultima IV on my n800 but just can't get anywhere without a keyboard...

Thanks.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by jungwolf View Post
I haven't been able to get xkbd to work well, either with dosbox or by itself. I then tried the xvkbd but the files were no longer available. Are there any alternatives? Has anyone had any luck troubleshooting a broken xkbd install?

I'm dying to try Ultima IV on my n800 but just can't get anywhere without a keyboard...

Thanks.
The user Addison did a lot of work in getting xkbd to work--check out post #248 in this thread (and Addison's prior posts in the preceding pages). Addison's xkbd layout works very well in conjunction with Rubybox.

Originally Posted by jungwolf View Post

Thanks.
http://pupnik.de/xvkbd_kot_001.zip

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know how to send only "Alt" key signal by XKBD, not a letter with Alt like "Alt + x"?

Thanks to the great folks here, I can run HP200LX simulator on N810 via DOSBOX. . One problem is that the simulator uses "Alt" key to activate 'Menu' but XKBD seem not send "Alt" key itself but rather wait for another key and send as "Alt+x".

Originally Posted by aerialist View Post
Does anyone know how to send only "Alt" key signal by XKBD, not a letter with Alt like "Alt + x"?

Thanks to the great folks here, I can run HP200LX simulator on N810 via DOSBOX. . One problem is that the simulator uses "Alt" key to activate 'Menu' but XKBD seem not send "Alt" key itself but rather wait for another key and send as "Alt+x".
You'll probably have to remap one of the N810 keys like I did for the N800. I created a remapping using the original mapper.txt file and called it mappercsa.txt. (Using the frontend RubyBox makes it easy to use a different mapper.txt file.) Go here to see how my remapping looks for my N800. That was the only way I could get the "Alt" key to work by itself. Maybe my mappercsa.txt file works for the N810 too,...I don't know. You can try it and see.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2008-07-20 at 17:17.