Posts: 63 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Thessaloniki Greece
I will not buy N950 since I know it will never be a follow up. I wouldn't buy N900 if I knew there would never be a N950...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Nokia anounced yesterday they will support MeeGo DE on the N900.
Writing "will support" implies greater, well, support than the "will provide a developer edition for" they've stated. No matter your mental image of Nokia Care's support level for Maemo 5 on the N900, their support for MeeGo DE on the N900 is guaranteed to be less.

In a couple of weeks we will be able to have a fully operational (somehat) MeeGo on the N900.
A two week development timeline is overly optimistic.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by crabsody View Post
I will not buy N950 since I know it will never be a follow up. I wouldn't buy N900 if I knew there would never be a N950...
Code:
Syntax error - Please try again

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far is price. If the price of the descendent of the N900 were cheap enough, I would still be interested. However, I expect the price to continue in the rip-off tradition adopted by the smartphone industry in general.

I am using Mandrake/Mandriva for 10 years and don't remember any problems with dependencies. Note: that means that I really don't remember. Maybe there were some but minor and unimportant.

Main(?) difference in attitude is that rps is much easier than deb and allows for preparation of sloppy packages. In earlier years where LSB wasn't clearly defined it lead to some issues but today it isn't really a problem.

Plus developers could always be careful and prepare rock solid web of dependencies for their distro.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
I am using Mandrake/Mandriva for 10 years and don't remember any problems with dependencies. Note: that means that I really don't remember. Maybe there were some but minor and unimportant.

Main(?) difference in attitude is that rps is much easier than deb and allows for preparation of sloppy packages. In earlier years where LSB wasn't clearly defined it lead to some issues but today it isn't really a problem.

Plus developers could always be careful and prepare rock solid web of dependencies for their distro.
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. As opposed to a far stricter Debian system where these problems are far less likely to happen because there are more technical "teeth" to keep things straight?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
The announcement of Nokia's offer of bonuses to its Meego programmers gave me a nice bout of paranoia. (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.) Already referenced on this thread, here is a brief summary of the news item:

"Nokia is offering salary increases and bonuses to its MeeGo engineers to keep them working on development of the company’s first MeeGo smartphone (N950), according to Finnish reports. The smartphone is due to be launched sometime this year. The reports claim that Nokia has not told its developers what tasks they will be given after the N950."

What this reminded me of was what Microsoft did to Borland in the early 1990's. At the time, Borland was the dominant PC database software vendor, and Microsoft had not yet developed Access. To cripple the competition, Microsoft hired away a huge number of Borland's programmers by offering them much more money. The point was not to develop Microsoft Access, but simply to destroy Borland. Microsoft didn't even put the programmers to work on database projects, but rather moved them to fields unrelated to their prior work, so that it wouldn't be vulnerable to claims that it stole trade secrets.

I heard that story in 1996 from a database designer I'd hired for my small company. I just looked it up for the first time and found these articles. According to Microsoft: Resistance is Futile, "Microsoft hired 34 of the ailing software developer's key employees with huge signing bonuses, some in excess of $1 million." See also Borland to wield tools against Microsoft ("A software powerhouse in the '80s and early '90s, Borland saw its fortunes collapse, largely as a result of competition with Microsoft, which undercut Borland's pricing and hired away 34 of its key executives.")

So I wonder about the real reason that Nokia would pay bonuses to keep its MeeGo developers in place after it had joined forces with Microsoft and relegated MeeGo to a Disruption Dustbin. Are the bonuses intended to advance MeeGo, or to hamper its development? (Maybe I should say "or to disrupt its development".)

Despite having been a lawyer (with only limited work in intellectual property), I've never understood quite how the Open Source license works. For example, I don't get how Android can be based on a Linux core and nonetheless have closed source aspects.

In this paranoid state, I further wonder whether Nokia can use its retained programmers to develop MeeGo-oriented software, and then kill it with copyrights/patents so that critical parts of a future MeeGo OS would be crippled by making them proprietary, unused, and unusable.*

*I've long wondered whether Microsoft had a secret agreement with NetManage (and thereby with its successor companies) to keep EccoPro out of development. EccoPro is a very powerful PIM (with many unusual capabilities, such that Personal Information Manager doesn't really encompass all it can do) that still has a following, even though it's had no development since 1997. NetManage acquired EccoPro in mid-1997 and immediately stopped all further development of it. Numerous people tried to buy EccoPro from NetManage, even as recently as the last couple years, but NetManage wouldn't sell it or open the code, even though it gets no income from the product. The only beneficiaries of NetManage's refusal that I can think of are other PIM vendors, like Microsoft, which sells its much-inferior Outlook.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Well, it's certainly a reasonably plausible possibility and one that seems strategically intelligent if they're intent to kill off MeeGo and push Windows Mobile 7.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Microsoft had not yet purchased Access.
Fixed for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
What do you think the reason of the debian's choice is then, if not stubbornness? Ignorance? Rebellioness? Secret co-operation with Microsoft to keep Linux fragmented?
Inertial legacy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada bing, bada rox, bada rulez, bada suckss, bada sux, lam bada, lol @ bada, nokia defiled, science fiction