Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I propose that we have a TSG (Technical Steering Group) for CSSU - 3 community members meritocratically selected from within the project who will oversee initial decision making over such things as project management, release dates, features, architecture and roadmap. To the extent it means anything, Council can delegate some of its authority so that the TSG can hopefully address related administrative tasks directly and more quickly without Council intervening on its behalf. I propose that the TSG membership is reviewed with the same frequency as Council - every 6 months.

The main reasoning being that a TSG will make the project clearer to the rest of the community. I have sometimes seen the project get delayed because MohammedAG is temporarily unavailable, and that there is uncertainty or lack of input over how some decisions get made, etc. I'd also like people to see more clearly how to address the project with their ideas and contributions.

Last edited by SD69; 2012-04-13 at 08:53.

The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
CSSU definitely lacks proper project management, so it will benefit a lot from such group.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
If this is implemented community will be benefited....great.....

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I'd like to see jaffa's questions on this in the community mailing list answered.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ry/005007.html

and no cssu doesn't need management. It needs people to do the work.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Well Jaffa pointed out some things but apprently as stated by one of the core developers in this thread something like this would help CSSU. SD69 made a proposal which is supposed to be discussted so we can come up with a solution wich will sattisfy most people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
sounds like a good idea. many distros have this kind of setup so why should maemo be any different. would like to see a proposal fleshed out a bit though. eg. what happens in stalemate with regards to a proposal?

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
SD69 made a proposal which is supposed to be discussted so we can come up with a solution wich will sattisfy most people.
He did but the ones who can make these decisions are the developers themselves. If they don't want this to happen the community's opinion doesn't matter. It isn't stated in the proposal if they want this or were if they were consulted about this. That's why this proposal sounds very weird and it justifies the questions if this is a hostile takeover or a fork.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
I understnad your opinion and also understand his idea. I dont think that this is a take over. For me this looks like trying to make something like in MER/Nemo. Freemangordon is the only core dev who made a statment here. The devs talk on IRC. How to connect these two worlds?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The proposal was made because it seemed from a number of things that the CSSU project could benefit from some organization and getting more people involved. I'm gratified that in 2 days the OP got 29 thanks and one of the core devs has supported it. I sent a message to Mohammed AG a long time ago about a TSG, but he didn't respond one way or the other.

What would a TSG do? We know that and I proposed a few examples. Jaffa questioned candidate eligibility, but ironically named two obvious candidates at the same time. Making a sensible and consistent set of architectural decisions? Well, that's sort of the point of the proposal.

Consider what I said rather than the implications that are contrary to what I said-
"community members meritocratically selected from within the project . . . Council can delegate some of its authority so that the TSG can hopefully address related administrative tasks directly and more quickly without Council intervening on its behalf. . . I'd also like people to see more clearly how to address the project with their ideas and contributions."

I think the proposal is empowering to the CSSU devs and is promoting the project. Ask Pali about what happened in kp and if he would like to have had some of Council's authority to directly tell Nemein what to do. I hope this proposal, if adopted, would solve that kind of problem for CSSU.

There's no hostile takeover or fork or conspiracy here. This proposal will not proceed if there is a stalemate, but that doesn't mean it should stop if one or two people attempt to veto it in some way. The discussion should continue with everyone involved with the CSSU project free to participate. It is my hope we emerge with some TSG members selected based on meritocracy. So far I see two nominees - MohammadAG and merlin1991.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The only user modding I can do is one-touch ban and clean... and given fahadj2003's typical behavior, it's tempting.

He'd better hope a super mod acts before I do.

Last edited by Texrat; 2012-02-19 at 20:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: