Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I think what nthn meant was that currently Jolla needs libhybris to interface the hardware because the hardware did only come with Android drivers. But this is not necessarily the universal law: someone may produce a device using hardware with native drivers available, and in such a case libhybris will not be necessary.
That's what I meant, yes.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Whatsapp and AFAIK facebook are available only as android app.
You say this as if this is in any way Jolla's fault. Sure, the lack of paid applications on the Jolla store is entirely their fault, but every single one of the extremely popular Android/iOS applications is available for zero monetary costs. The only ones to blame for the lack of (official) natice applications for Facebook/Whatsapp/... are Facebook/Whatsapp/...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Jolla needs libhybris to interface the hardware because the hardware did only come with Android drivers. But this is not necessarily the universal law: someone may produce a device using hardware with native drivers available, and in such a case libhybris will not be necessary.
there is no such thing in the embedded world today. Infact it getting worse every day.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yes, I have an issue with that statement too. It claims not that most Sailfish users use Android apps, which is something I would not dispute in a hurry, but that Android apps make the majority of what they use. I see no evidence supporting that claim.
The reason I still have my Jolla is because I almost never use it. In the other side if I did have a Android phone I probably would have used it way more. I signed up for spotify recently because I got sick of the hassle to buy MP3 on 7digital. But then I got stuck with SFOS cutespot It is not stable for daily use :/ Fact stand the developers for sailfishos is far to few get a chance compete with Android or IOS or even Windows phone.

But if you don't is the social media kind of person and don't give a **** about apps go get an SFOS phone else go get IOS or Apple since SFOS will never success with applications.

The only good with SFOS is native Qt/QML and little more open platform than Google.

And those saying "hey I don't use any dalvik apps" probadly never pay their bills or using Swish or similar payment methods whatever country you are in.

Got damn we don't even have a native bitcoin app

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
And those saying "hey I don't use any dalvik apps" probadly never pay their bills or using Swish or similar payment methods whatever country you are in.

Got damn we don't even have a native bitcoin app
You're absolutely right, I've never felt the need of doing any banking activities at all with my phone. I can't think of one single situation where payments can't be done with my Visa, or wait till I can get my hands on a computer, which never is very long.
A native bitcoin app would become handy though.

The Following User Says Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by eson View Post
You're absolutely right, I've never felt the need of doing any banking activities at all with my phone. I can't think of one single situation where payments can't be done with my Visa, or wait till I can get my hands on a computer, which never is very long.
A native bitcoin app would become handy though.
That way you can tell about any program - "wait till I can get my hands on a computer", don't you think?
And it's pretty clear that the point on smartphone is not just being phone.
While it's easier and much user friendly to have access and manipulate all this data from your hand instead of computer, compiling and ssh would be much easier from actual computer.
But still a lot argue that one OS is better coz it has all the terminal tools but no apps, while other OS's have apps and on most of those OSes you can get terminal tools as well.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
That's what I meant, yes.
You say this as if this is in any way Jolla's fault. Sure, the lack of paid applications on the Jolla store is entirely their fault, but every single one of the extremely popular Android/iOS applications is available for zero monetary costs. The only ones to blame for the lack of (official) natice applications for Facebook/Whatsapp/... are Facebook/Whatsapp/...
You can't blame facebook or whatsapp for not doing the apps for specific platform. They can't simply track all platforms and as well as they would expect that the money and time they would put on this will pay back. So most companies are asking them or cooperate with them in order to get those apps.
Not facebook, neither whataspp are interested in success or failure of Sailfish, but Jolla should be interested in success.

Last edited by ZogG; 2016-07-03 at 15:26. Reason: typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
ZogG, please read my post again. I said clearly that I do not dispute the suggestion that most Sailfish users use Android apps. However the way you wrote your post makes a different statement, that most apps Sailfish users use are Android apps. I know that English is not your first language and the difference may be lost in translation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
ZogG, please read my post again. I said clearly that I do not dispute the suggestion that most Sailfish users use Android apps. However the way you wrote your post makes a different statement, that most apps Sailfish users use are Android apps. I know that English is not your first language and the difference may be lost in translation.
In general I meant that most users use any android apps in general as it was stated how Jolla is good and Google is bad and should not be used. I felt that it was a little bit hypocrisy.

And I would say that most available and runnable apps on Jolla are android ones. There are a lot of native or native ports of apps on Jolla, but most of those apps are very niche specific (e.g. wireshark, iptables and so on).
Most "user-end"(I hope you understand what I mean by those) apps available on Jolla are android apps.
How many native apps do you use (not terminal ones) and not preinstalled, but from Jolla store, that are not android?
P.S. i heard from few here that they even used android browser(was it ff or opera) instead of native official one.
So after all — my statement even in a wrong formulation can be true

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Not facebook, neither whataspp are interested in success or failure of Sailfish, but Jolla should be interested in success.
It's arguable that Jolla is offering a platform wherein the next set of activities (i.e. whatever replaces Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc.) may flourish. It's all about choice and honestly, even I've resigned myself that the person that's more interested in Jolla tends to be far less interested in Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.

The target they're probably shooting for doesn't exist quite yet. That doesn't guarantee success; it merely solidifies that they're trying to be a true alternative to the folks that have not bought into the aforementioned social media, communication or existing offerings.

Doesn't make it right or wrong. Just different than iOS and Android and they hope that Jolla/Sailfish is the platform of choice of these newer offerings and options.

That's been my take on Jolla. I now await for the developers to finally understand that the magic happens past the terminal and in apps that connect people and less about isolating yourself with esoteric commands that alter your phone that only you'd appreciate.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's arguable that Jolla is offering a platform wherein the next set of activities (i.e. whatever replaces Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc.) may flourish. It's all about choice and honestly, even I've resigned myself that the person that's more interested in Jolla tends to be far less interested in Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.

The target they're probably shooting for doesn't exist quite yet. That doesn't guarantee success; it merely solidifies that they're trying to be a true alternative to the folks that have not bought into the aforementioned social media, communication or existing offerings.

Doesn't make it right or wrong. Just different than iOS and Android and they hope that Jolla/Sailfish is the platform of choice of these newer offerings and options.

That's been my take on Jolla. I now await for the developers to finally understand that the magic happens past the terminal and in apps that connect people and less about isolating yourself with esoteric commands that alter your phone that only you'd appreciate.
I think they need to hit some kind of critical mass and get the ball rolling and give developers a god damn incentive to actually develop.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

In general I agree with you, but you need to consider that alternative means not something different, but something instead. And if whataspp, facebook is standard in mobile, it would not matter how it's right or wrong or if it should be like that, but that Jolla doesn't really provide that option.
While activity can be utilized as something new and useful (we had it on N9), it would not replace some of the apps, as functionality and all features of those apps are available in app and not as extension in activity.

Mobile era is not something new and most standards, apps and functionality are already defined. I'm not saying that it can be changed, but I'm saying that it can't be ignored.
What I'm trying to say is that they need to reach to the point where other platforms are and start from there. To make changes as improvement or replacement. But currently they introduced a lot of new features that are not used and can't be utilized, just because they miss the common adopted functionality and apps. They need to close the gap in order to be in first line.

As per applications and Jolla future — I'm not sure if they by themselves understand what they are doing and there is any direction. Most of the management folks that said that I'm just hater and do not understand - left Jolla. And we both know that me is not the reason. As per paid apps - this is never ending saga. They raised the issue themselves long time ago, but nothing was done. It seems that they start something, do not finish it and switch to something different and this leads to failure after failure.

In the begining I wanted Jolla to succeed and I was in first wave, but they proved me wrong. And as I do not care if they succeed or not - it's very important that people here would not put them on pedestal just coz they are not android. Especially with "no facts proves".

Jolla had a lot of time to prove themselves. And yes they have updates (no one talks that they slowly releasing less and less and that they promised every month update), they released 1.5 device (0.5 is Jolla C + tablet together :P ). And all this in 4 years or even more.
If someone uses linux as backend doesn't make him linux supporter or lover. Even google use linux in many their projects, as well as FOSS, but less and less people like them.

So what would be the reason for Jolla except "it's not android or iOS" as it's not the argument. When I want to choose something good I go - why i like it, and not why I don't like else.
P.S. I just though how funny it would be if someone would say as his/her marriage vow:
"I marry you because you are not X or Y, as they are shitty people, that's why I choose you"

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os