Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
well its hardly surprising that people here will have requirements that resulted in them choosing the n900 rather than a similar specced android, it hardly makes me anti-android or a fanboi. i believe he asked for our opinion and i gave mine. i dont put much stock in the laptop dock as yet, although to be fair i haven't tried it. now if they'd stuck a similair spec into a form factor like the droid a855 - http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...la-DROID-US-EN i may have been more impressed.
It's hardly similarly specced. heheh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by devu View Post
True, Is it me or maemo.org seems to be general mobile geeks forum rather than maemo one these days.
that is becouse the n900 really is a mainsrteam product. Success!

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's hardly similarly specced. heheh
indeed, but i meant similarly specced at the time, it is similarly specced to many other devices either recently released or in the pipeline, many many of which look almost identical. which was my original point.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
I told you this would happen. Go look elsewhere for a more experienced and educated opinion.
Nice thinly veiled personal attack there

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Nice thinly veiled personal attack there
What do you mean "thinly veiled"?

indeed, but i meant similarly specced at the time, it is similarly specced to many other devices either recently released or in the pipeline, many many of which look almost identical. which was my original point.
Fair enough, with the exception of the fact that I still have had the benefit of far more software and upgrades. It seems to me that the hardware is similarly specced enough, though.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
No there is some more to it. The "laptop dock" for etc. that turns it into a laptop/netbook experience or the regular dock that turns it into a desktop computer experience.

Convergence as it should be.
The regular dock is cool, but the laptop dock, i don't know... I saw it at CES, it took a while to start up, I was expecting it to be instant-on. If I understand it correctly, they demo'd the phone running in a window also while on the dock, so it makes me think the dock is quite a bit smarter than I was expecting. The phone docks onto the back, which seems like it would get in the way. Supposedly it's going to be priced somewhere between a netbook and a notebook, so why not just carry a full blown laptop instead? I would like a laptop dock to be a screen and keyboard, and slide the phone into it to use the phone as a trackpad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Fair enough, with the exception of the fact that I still have had the benefit of far more software and upgrades....
are you trying to draw me into an android v nokia debate fanboi? :P yes they both have their pro's and cons, but the op asked for my opinion and they received it, there was no need for the "thinly veiled personal attack" (not that i'm taking it personally or anything! )

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
@danramos - i've just noticed your sig says you own the a855? i'm going to have to re-read the last few bits i may be debating at a tangent here. :S

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
thanks for you OPINION> ! because thats all i wanted . so far nothing that bad .of course not that opened. but i going to buy one with all its bells. I still love the N900 . this phone keeps on giving so i will use it till it breaks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
The regular dock is cool, but the laptop dock, i don't know... I saw it at CES, it took a while to start up, I was expecting it to be instant-on. If I understand it correctly, they demo'd the phone running in a window also while on the dock, so it makes me think the dock is quite a bit smarter than I was expecting. The phone docks onto the back, which seems like it would get in the way. Supposedly it's going to be priced somewhere between a netbook and a notebook, so why not just carry a full blown laptop instead? I would like a laptop dock to be a screen and keyboard, and slide the phone into it to use the phone as a trackpad.
That was my impression too--I'm not sure what the point of the laptop portion really is. Wouldn't you get the same functionality if you had, say, a cheap netbook and a USB cable? The more I learned about it, the less I liked it.

are you trying to draw me into an android v nokia debate fanboi? :P yes they both have their pro's and cons, but the op asked for my opinion and they received it, there was no need for the "thinly veiled personal attack" (not that i'm taking it personally or anything! )
Sure. Why not draw you in? OP poster asked nobody in particular for opinion, by the by, but they asked it on talk.maemo.org... which it would seem might be a strange place to get opinions about an upcoming Android device. This forum is more likely to have people who don't follow it all that closely, far less likely to have seen it in person or used it and more likely to be hostile to anything that isn't Maemo--especially with all that pent up hostility and frustration that Nokia's managed to build up over the years.

No offense intended, none taken and nothing personal, fanboi, but it's like walking into a bar that is clearly full of a particular sports team's fans and asking about some other team. They're going to be biased and badmouthing even if the other team has clear merits. It's just a fact I pointed out that you took as an attack. I just argue that it wasn't thinly veiled.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, op stop posting