Active Topics

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
This isn't a rant just an honest question. I'm honestly thrilled that the hardworking, awesome developers here will get an opportunity to use the N950. In my opinion Nokia should let them keep the dev kits. The talent at this site probably sold thousands of N900, not to mention they kept it in the public eye (aka as Engadget) when Nokia was... ahem burning..So here's my question again.

We all know what Elop said about the future of the N9.

So after someone develops an app on the N950 then what will its future be? There is a limited distribution of N9s, Nokia is backing away from Meego. How many meego phones will be produced? Has all the Meego phones that will ever be made been made?

Just trying to understand the strategy with these new phones...

Lol, you're spot on. I don't understand the point of the N950 either. Maybe they want a few apps so that owners of the n9 will not be too pissed, and will stay with nokia (and wp7) for the next one.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
The point is to promote Qt... it has been mentioned by several sources that this is part of their "next billion" strategy

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The point is to promote Qt... it has been mentioned by several sources that this is part of their "next billion" strategy

Come out of dreamworld and back to reality!!!

We all know there are thousands of QT apps for Symbian. Does even one exist on N900????

The answer about strategy is simple - there is no strategy at all At least until we start considering, that bouncing from wall to wall (for few years now) is a strategy.

Anyway, it's still good that they decided to "lend" N950 to developers - at least 250 people will have interesting (as a curiosity) device. They could just send them to "utilization" - honestly, would You be surprised?

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
We all know there are thousands of QT apps for Symbian. Does even one exist on N900????
Actually there are many...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
Come out of dreamworld and back to reality!!!

Are you serious? The Enhanced Lockscreen you have installed on your device is a Qt Application, CuteTube-QML is a Qt application.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think he means a QT application ported from symbian. And indeed there may be one but sure they aren't many.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
This isn't a rant just an honest question. I'm honestly thrilled that the hardworking, awesome developers here will get an opportunity to use the N950. In my opinion Nokia should let them keep the dev kits. The talent at this site probably sold thousands of N900, not to mention they kept it in the public eye (aka as Engadget) when Nokia was... ahem burning..So here's my question again.

We all know what Elop said about the future of the N9.

So after someone develops an app on the N950 then what will its future be? There is a limited distribution of N9s, Nokia is backing away from Meego. How many meego phones will be produced? Has all the Meego phones that will ever be made been made?

Just trying to understand the strategy with these new phones...
whats so hard to understand? I dont get it?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The problem I see is that Nokia, or rather, Elop is limiting N9 manucturing to just under a 100k units. Even if there is demand there will not be available phones, so it will never be a success.

This is to prevent it making too much success and making WP7 a bad choice, and it makes n950 obsolete, because there won't be any buyers for apps.