Active Topics

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
... I realise that some introduction about me is probably helpful...

I've spent the past few years working on Contacts on the N9, focusing primarily on the user interface parts (i.e. the actual application that you interact with when you add/edit contacts, open them to dial people etc.) - so that's where most of my knowledge is, but I'm happy to try field questions from other areas - I just might not be able to help

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
I have a problem. I have synced my N9 with google contacts using mail for exchange account, but it turns out that some of my contacts are missing phone number. All of the missing-phone-number contacts have only one phone number. Around 20% is missing.
I don't know a great deal about sync/MfE, but I believe that MfE only supports one number field.

Originally Posted by KTy View Post
Fresh N9 PR1.2
Desperately trying to sync teh contacts of TWO gmail accounts... Tried with gmail and MFE, no luck; I only see one.
Any other options ?
A 'gmail' account won't really import contacts (unfortunately: this was realised rather late in the UI implementation phase as being a bit confusing / bad) - it will import the IM contacts from that account (i.e. the ones you have in chat) but not the ones you have in Google Contacts.

Originally Posted by BW~Merlin View Post
Have an interesting problem. I have a friend and their parents numbers in my phone, they all share the same home land line number but each has their own mobile number. When my friend messages me the messages says it comes from their home land line number and that the number is found in three contacts.
This rings a bell as some sort of a bug, but I don't remember the exact details right now. I can recommend one method which *might* fix it.

(name of UI elements may not be exact, my phone is in Norwegian)

Open contacts, tap the menu (bottom right), tap 'merge contacts'. It should open a sheet picker with 'Cancel' and 'Merge' buttons at the top. At the bottom of that sheet, there's another button for me titled 'Oppdater' (Update) - press that. It should have a try at merging together duplicates that it finds in your addressbook.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend finding the other places that number crops up in your addressbook and trying to neuter it.

Originally Posted by abustany View Post
We have a bug to add generic jabber support
In case this wasn't mentioned elsewhere: this won't happen (unfortunately)

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Hi,
Can anyone help in finding a contact's history. For example i want to find the number of times i've contacted a person. Similar to log in older phones and call history on blackberries.

I've just moved from my bb to n9 so this function is quite needed.

Thanks in advance.
If by contact, you mean dial, then there is a call history tab in the dialer. I'd need more information if that isn't it.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I asked this in a seperate thread and was referred to here, so I will post it again in case Abustany can explain to me how the fb contacts/local contacts relationship is handled.
So, you want to know how automerging works. AFAIR, basically it's done by contact name only - so the local contact's name must match their name on the service (Twitter/Facebook).

I always thought that this should be a good deal smarter than it is, but UI design at the time dictated otherwise - that it should only create links based on obviously visible data. One day I'd really like to try prototype something that mashes together data from multiple services as smartly as it can, but I digress.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Hi and thanks to be here to help,
I have contacts that are sync using Mfe with gmail (which is as well sync with outlook).
I have two issues
- I put a contact as 'favorite' (sorry I am using french version so not sure about the translation) but this is constantly removed and am losing any favorite
- I put a specific sound to ring when the contact call me and this is as well back to the standard ring tone

It seems the sync is removing the N9 specifics for contacts. I guess the two aspects I have mentioned (ringtone and favorite) should be kept and not sync (because not sure that there is a field in gmail for them).

I am wondering if the bug is somewhere present in your internal bugtracker. Or if I am just a curiosity (alone having this problem?). Or maybe a normal (but frustrating) behavior of the system.

For info, I have as well a skype and a twitter account which sync contacts. But the contacts I am referring to are not on skype or twitter (so the sync should not affect those specific contacts).

EDIT: I have also sync contacts with nokia account

Last edited by P@t; 2012-04-18 at 11:05.

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Hi and thanks to be here to help,
I have contacts that are sync using Mfe with gmail (which is as well sync with outlook).
I have two issues
- I put a contact as 'favorite' (sorry I am using french version so not sure about the translation) but this is constantly removed and am losing any favorite
- I put a specific sound to ring when the contact call me and this is as well back to the standard ring tone
I can't say I've seen these (though of course I might miss some reports...) - I don't use nonstandard ringtones myself, but I certainly haven't ever encountered favorite status being reset.

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
EDIT: I have also sync contacts with nokia account
This is a bit more suspicious though. I'd advise turning sync to Nokia/Ovi contacts off if you use MfE. Things can get a bit confusing (I've seen people accidentally end up with 2-3 copies of their contacts, one local, one MfE, one Nokia, and end up thoroughly confused).

That's just a personal recommendation though.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Today I started to suffer this problem:

1) I merge manually (or automatically) contacts.

2) My battery starts to drain since tracker-store reach over 95% of CPU usage. Once I left it running more than an hour to see if it dies eventually (it did not) and the phone got really hot.

3) I execute 'tracker-control --kill=store' to stop the battery draining process.

4) Some of my contacts split. I think all of them are contacts with Skype accounts.

Anyone else with this problem?

Any solution?

Thanks.
I am still having this problem. I cannot merge Skype contacts with 'regular' ones.