Hi all,
I'm hoping you guys can help me here. Today my N9 decided to lose all contacts, messages and photos from the gallery. I have seen other threads on here and have tried the various solutions they contained. I had a couple of .jpg images in the /home/user/ dir which I removed, and ran the gallerybugx tool. This failed with an "i failed due unknown reason :-O" message, so I tried to edit the user-dirs.dirs file by hand. I got an error reading from file message from nano, and a permission denied error from cp and mv. ls -l lists that the file has normal permissions (-rw-r--r--), and chmod gives an operation not permitted error.

I managed to make a copy of the file using Filebox and I can open the copy. It shows that the file is corrupted so I updated the entries manually. However, I can't delete or move the original file in order to replace it with the correct copy.

Any ideas for me? This is rather annoying me as I can normally fix things like this

Thanks!
Rob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daedalus For This Useful Post:
Okay, silly mistake, I was trying to use su instead of the normal user, which I thought wouldn't be a problem for permissions, but it was. Anyway, ran gallerybugx and it ran fine, however I also noticed that my camera wasn't working and the SIM card wasn't recognised. Rebooted the phone and SIM and camera are now working, and taking a photo restored my gallery. Still no contacts or messages though I have a backup of the contacts, but not the messages. I guess they're lost at this stage, or does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daedalus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
I think you should reflash it dude and see it if it is occurring again or not

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to salahkhani For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post
I think you should reflash it dude and see it if it is occurring again or not

Good luck
Thanks very much. I probably will reflash it to be safe. It seems to be working ok at the moment though, apart from being missing hundreds of messages. That's just the way it goes I guess...

The Following User Says Thank You to Daedalus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Seattle
I'd like to get my messages back, as well...I'm sure there must be some solution, but I don't know what it is...

The Following User Says Thank You to papapenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Not sure if it helps, but here are similar threads:

N9 loses my SMS (corrupted database)
Nokia N9 missing texts, contacts images

Best wishes.

is there a quick and dirty instruction manual to flash this phone?

or maybe just to delete the user info in case it's corrupted?

it seems my problem was a corrupted database...I cleared the phone by going into Settings-->Reset-->Clear device

That seems to have worked, although I lost everything...

I then restored the phone from one of the backups that I made

Tags
nokia n9, sms-message